Posted to uk.d-i-y
lynd

Default House sale

I know this should properly go on legal but DIY often have a better grip of
such things.

I have a quandary.

My neighbour moved out rather strangely back at the end of November ,
having done a flit ( old lady house-sitting told me they had gone on
holiday).

I never saw the house up for sale or anything but suddenly in January new
neighbours knocked on my door and introduced themselves as the new
neighbours.

They were pretty vague about the last owners and even about themselves.
First they said they were renting, then they said they owned the house.

Anyway, being a nosy sort I looked up the sale of the house on one of those
land registry sites ( wondered how and what price they sold for since five
houses here have been up for sale for over two years and remain unsold - and
this house it seems was sold lock stock and barrel in a month and I never
even saw it advertised.

I cannot find the house listed on the sites even though every other house
which has sold in the village in the last five years is there.

Now I know there might be an error but its strange because the house was
also sold ( oddly) back in 2002 ( old neighbours moved to France). They
"sold" suddenly after having the house on the market for three years!

This bothers me a bit since new neighbour comes down one weekend a month but
still hasn't moved in but I hear say they are going to run a business in
Alpacas , including a visitor centre here ( next door to me!)

We live up a private ( unadopted) lane and I have to repair my own section
of lane. large numbers of visitors to alpaca haven would cause me great
expense.

Do they need planning permission to run a visitor centre( cant see them
needing it to graze alpaca on pasture land . Previous neighbour had a horse
there.

I know the above is a bit long but I would like to know
a) if the house has been sold

b) what my new - to be - neighbours may be up to.

Is he squatting and the house isn't yet his?

Is it simply a problem on the land registry?

Anyone seen anything like it before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

lynd wrote:

I know the above is a bit long but I would like to know
a) if the house has been sold

If it has, it will appear on the land registry site within 6 months max.
Don't rely on other sites who buy searches from the LR - they use
incomplete databases.

You can buy a copy of the LR entry for £2 he
http://www.landreg.gov.uk/

Anyone seen anything like it before.

Like what? A house sale?

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

It costs £2 to get a copy of the specific Land Registry entry for a
property. This can be done online at http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/
at the results are available in seconds. Grazing alpaca does not need
planning approval assuming it is already agricultural land but a visitor
centre or any building would.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Peter Crosland wrote:
Grazing alpaca does not need
planning approval assuming it is already agricultural land but a visitor
centre or any building would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to see you're sticking to your usual misleading statements Peter.
Time to copy the killfile over from my desktop to my laptop.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , Grunff
writes
Peter Crosland wrote:
Grazing alpaca does not need
planning approval assuming it is already agricultural land but a
visitor centre or any building would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to see you're sticking to your usual misleading statements Peter.
Time to copy the killfile over from my desktop to my laptop.

What's misleading?

--
Richard Faulkner

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Richard Faulkner wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:

Grazing alpaca does not need
planning approval assuming it is already agricultural land but a
visitor centre or any building would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to see you're sticking to your usual misleading statements Peter.
Time to copy the killfile over from my desktop to my laptop.

What's misleading?

That "any building would" need planning approval - this is something
which Peter is very fond of repeating, totally ignoring Permitted
Development.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

Grazing alpaca does not need
planning approval assuming it is already agricultural land but a
visitor centre or any building would.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to see you're sticking to your usual misleading statements Peter.
Time to copy the killfile over from my desktop to my laptop.

It was not misleading! A visitor centre certtainly WOULD need permission and
it is rare indeed for their to be permitted developement on agrigcultrural
land.

What's misleading?

That "any building would" need planning approval - this is something which
Peter is very fond of repeating, totally ignoring Permitted Development.

See above. If you can't offer any constructive advice why give any?

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Peter Crosland wrote:

It was not misleading!

It was.

A visitor centre certtainly WOULD need permission

True.

it is rare indeed for their to be permitted developement on agrigcultrural
land.

Completely untrue!

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:37:19 +0000 (UTC), "lynd"
wrote:

|Do they need planning permission to run a visitor centre( cant see them
|needing it to graze alpaca on pasture land . Previous neighbour had a horse
|there.

Assuming that the house has planning permission for a *residential*
property, and not a farm, change of use to planning permission would be
required. Your local council has a planning department. Ours has a
"Duty Planning Officer" who answers these sort of questions, but there is
normally a queue outside the door. Ask the.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
legin

Don't know how true it is, but a surveyor friend suggested that
commercial lendings do not show up on the sites. I could believe this
as I have also searched various properties known to have been sold. The
majority do have there details available but at least two that I know
have been sold don't show up. One a farm house and land, quite
believably the subject to commercial lending. The other, going off on a
tangent, in a very much residential area. The elderly neighbour to
which is convinced that the occupants are subject to a goverment
identity/ relocation program. He might be miffed as he wanted to buy
the property himself, downsizing, but could not sell his own in time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:20:37 +0000, Grunff wrote:

If it has, it will appear on the land registry site within 6 months max.

There is a long period allowed before properties HAVE to be
registered, it's definitely *way* more than 6 months.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Matt wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:20:37 +0000, Grunff wrote:

If it has, it will appear on the land registry site within 6 months max.

There is a long period allowed before properties HAVE to be
registered, it's definitely *way* more than 6 months.

IIRC it's more like 2 years before the solicitor has to advise The Land
Registry of the sale.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

lynd wrote:

My neighbour moved out rather strangely back at the end of November ,
having done a flit ( old lady house-sitting told me they had gone on
holiday).
I never saw the house up for sale or anything but suddenly in January new
neighbours knocked on my door and introduced themselves as the new
neighbours.
They were pretty vague about the last owners and even about themselves.
First they said they were renting, then they said they owned the house.

Now I know there might be an error but its strange because the house was
also sold ( oddly) back in 2002 ( old neighbours moved to France). They
"sold" suddenly after having the house on the market for three years!

If there is a mortgage involved then any charge or change thereto will
be noted on the land registry documents. I suggest checking with the
official land registry site rather than these online house price sites,
they are derived from the LR data but do not tell the whole story. If
there is a company as owner similar check of the online records at
Companies House may be revealing.

We live up a private ( unadopted) lane and I have to repair my own section
of lane. large numbers of visitors to alpaca haven would cause me great
expense.

Covenants regarding upkeep of the lane should be in your and the
neighbours deeds also. Again the records at LR would be the place to start.

As to the question has anyone had a similar experience.

I manage the Mgmt company for a 4 flat conversion. In the early 90s one
flat was sold (at the top of the market) to a small-time estate/letting
agent, who let the property and was rather reluctant to pay the service
charges and ground rents. After some years he announced that he was
selling the property to a friend. I received the usual documents from
his solicitor but never any details other than the name of the new
owner. This made obtaining further service charges and ground rents
difficult. Letters to the solicitor requesting the address of the new
owner met with no response. Eventualy after maybe two years I received a
letter from another firm of solicitors who had been appointed by the Law
Society to sort out the business of the original solicitor. I also
learnt (by chance) from a national newspaper that the original solicitor
had been convicted of extensive fraud against clients and mortgage
lenders . I suspect in this case that the flat owner was a party to a
fraudulent transaction assisted by the solicitor: the new flat owner
being fictitious, the whole transaction a device to transfer the
mortgage from one lender to another and thus avoid (in fact defer)
repossession.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:57:59 GMT, DJC
wrote:

lynd wrote:

[...]

Certainly the LR entries give the best level of information, but don't
give everything that might be useful - for example the amount of the
mortgage or of other charges.

If
there is a company as owner similar check of the online records at
Companies House may be revealing.

That's also true, but information is usually scant. There is a period
after the financial year end for filing of accounts and annual return
(10 months IIRC) and so information is not very current. Also, small
businesses of less than several £M in revenue or balance sheet total
do not have to file detailed accounts. Forming much of a picture is
difficult. However, you can easily get the names and addresses of
the directors and company secretary together with how many other
directorships they hold.

This information is cheaply available from their Webcheck service
(less than £5).

You can do checks in the opposite directions (e.g. look up a list of
companies for which a person is a director. This is a way to get a
view of more of their business activities. However, being a director
does not necessarily imply an active role in a company. Also, it's
necessary to be a member of the Companies House Direct service
(£5/month subscription) to access it.

Changes in directorships appear quite quickly on the CH web site.

We live up a private ( unadopted) lane and I have to repair my own section
of lane. large numbers of visitors to alpaca haven would cause me great
expense.

Covenants regarding upkeep of the lane should be in your and the
neighbours deeds also. Again the records at LR would be the place to start.

They are to a point, but may not have detail of some covenants - e.g.
not driving herds of goats along the lane, not running a business and
so on.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Andy Hall wrote:

Certainly the LR entries give the best level of information, but don't
give everything that might be useful - for example the amount of the
mortgage or of other charges.

That's also true, but information is usually scant. There is a period
after the financial year end for filing of accounts and annual return
(10 months IIRC) and so information is not very current. Also, small
businesses of less than several £M in revenue or balance sheet total
do not have to file detailed accounts. Forming much of a picture is
difficult. However, you can easily get the names and addresses of
the directors and company secretary together with how many other
directorships they hold.

Accounts 10 months, Annual return has to be done within a month of due
date and must be done at no more than 12 month intervals.

Agreed both LR and CH records can say little, but ofen it is possble to
read between the lines; what is not said can be revealing.

--
David Clark
http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk
$replyto = 'an.rnser.is.reqird'

Spot Cooler, Air Conditioner for Sale, 18,000 BTU's! Cool your house and the neighborhood! [email protected] Home Ownership 1 February 7th 05 09:57 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
Why buy a house? victor Home Ownership 376 August 19th 04 11:08 PM
Do you have Past Woodpeck Weekly Special Email? Jeremy Woodworking 2 August 8th 04 03:24 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM