Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Priming my New Drywall

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now that my basement drywall is all mudded & sanded, I need to prime
it and would like some advice.

I have one of those smaller 2200psi airless sprayers (borrowed from a
friend) that has the hose to stick in the paint can. I'm going to try
that hoping it works OK for me.

I have no worries with overspray in my basement, except for the
multitude of outlets and light switches I have in my walls. Any
advice on a quick and easy way to protect them from the paint
sprayer? I obviously don't want to get paint inside my boxes if I
don't have to.

Also, what is a good, sprayable primer to use on my new drywall?
Should I use latex, water, or oil based? Should I need to thin it?
Should I expect to need more than one coat? I plan on painting with a
relatively light colored latex after priming is complete.

I'm estimating I'll need about 6 gallons of primer for the first
coat...maybe more if this sprayer puts it on heavy or not.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

2" masking tape should suffice to protect your switch boxes and outlets.
The paint won't do any harm to the wires and hopefully you have made all of
your splices so you won't need to figure anything out later when you install
devices.

One suggestion I can make about airless spraying is to strain your paint.
I've seen many guys have to stop what they are doing to clean out the nozzle
or hose. That cuts into your time considerably. I was on a job recently
and the painter's helper was spraying primer with a brand new airless. I go
out to my truck for some materials and come back a few minutes later and the
guy is complaining about the clogged gun. I asked him if strained the
paint. He said no, but he stirred it really well. He wound up finishing
with a roller while his boss cleaned the airless. I think that you can buy
strainers at a paint store, but if not some folded layers of cheese cloth
will work.

Many years ago a painter recommended Muralo latex primer to me for new
unfinished walls. It did a great job of sealing with one coat. It is thin
enough to use in an airless.