Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Priming my New Drywall

wrote:
Now that my basement drywall is all mudded & sanded, I need to prime
it and would like some advice.

I have one of those smaller 2200psi airless sprayers (borrowed from a
friend) that has the hose to stick in the paint can. I'm going to try
that hoping it works OK for me.

I have no worries with overspray in my basement, except for the
multitude of outlets and light switches I have in my walls. Any
advice on a quick and easy way to protect them from the paint
sprayer? I obviously don't want to get paint inside my boxes if I
don't have to.

Also, what is a good, sprayable primer to use on my new drywall?
Should I use latex, water, or oil based? Should I need to thin it?
Should I expect to need more than one coat? I plan on painting with a
relatively light colored latex after priming is complete.

I'm estimating I'll need about 6 gallons of primer for the first
coat...maybe more if this sprayer puts it on heavy or not.

Thanks for any feedback.

Kevin

Cut some index cards or corrugated cardboard the size of the opening for
the receptacles, fasten with one screw.

There are primers specifically for new drywall, usually latex. Shop for
a good brand at a paint store, follow label, it should give advice for
sprayer. If not, ask at the store.