Posted to alt.home.repair
mig

Default ? priming drywall

Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

Posted to alt.home.repair
T. Stewart

"mig" wrote in message
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

On behalf of the next home owners (if it comes to that) yes prime the
drywall. Our bathroom had 7 layers of wallpaper and an unprimed drywall
base. We ended up pulling off some of the drywall with the wallpaper and
had to re-mud the entire bathroom drywall. Needless to say, we now have
learned two things:

1) we are never doing wall paper

and

2) always prime your drywall

T.Stewart (de-lurking for the moment)

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Texture before prime. You can get a pleasant "roller stipple"
texture by mixing texture in the primer/paint. Most commercial
work is done this way. Heavy knock down type textures are done
with drywall compound after tape and bed.

I personally don't believe in primer. Multiple layers of paint
or even single coat back rolled paint can do the same thing. The
compound areas tend to absorb paint at a different rate than the
paper until the surface is sealed.
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"mig" wrote in message
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for
this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime
the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then
paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with
paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

Depends on how fussy you are. high end work calls for priming before
texturing, because the texture will take differently over the joint
cmpd vs the paper. but it takes a pretty good eye to notice it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

mig wrote:
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

When I had my house built, the drywall contractor asked if I wanted a
swirl pattern on the ceiling of the LR after the initial joint and nail
plastering. He said it would cost $150 extra to do. We said yes. He
applied the watered down spackle with a wallpaper brush in a swirl,
left-right-left-right, right over the ceiling drywall and first coated
seams without any primer.
It came out very nice. After we had it done, we figured that putting the
texture on the bare ceiling saved the contractor from having to come
back two more times to sand and apply the second and third coats of
plaster. Live and Learn. :-)
It's been up there for 21 years and has been repainted twice. It still
looks good and hasn't had any problems.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

mig ) said...

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

I would recommend priming first. A primer is not ordinary paint, it is a
sealer. When drywall is used, joints and nails/screws are covered with
mud, leaving you with a surface of varying consistencies.

Ordinary paint, as well as texturing material, contain moisture when
applied and must dry and cure. The drying and curing are effected by
the rate that moisture leaves the material that is drying and curing.
When the surface has been primed/sealed, anything applied will dry or
cure evenly across the surface. Factors like temperature and humidity
that effect the drying and curing will effect the entire surface evenly.

On an unprimed drywall surface, locations with mud tend to pull water
out of the finish (paint or texturing) and the differinig drying/curing
rate on these spots can often be seen in the finish.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article lBANf.134820$0G.98933@dukeread10, "DanG" wrote:
Texture before prime. You can get a pleasant "roller stipple"
texture by mixing texture in the primer/paint. Most commercial
work is done this way. Heavy knock down type textures are done
with drywall compound after tape and bed.

No, I can't agree. On behalf of the next owners of your home (who may not want
textured walls), you should prime first -- that makes the texture much easier
to remove.

I personally don't believe in primer. Multiple layers of paint
or even single coat back rolled paint can do the same thing.

Not really. Finish paint adheres to primer better than it does to unpainted
surfaces. That's what primer is for.

The
compound areas tend to absorb paint at a different rate than the
paper until the surface is sealed.

Well, duh. That's what primer is for -- to seal the surface. No wonder you
have problems with different absorption rates. Try using primer next time.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

I just had fresh sheetrock painted. The painter used "drywall primer"
first, which he told me is different than ordinary primer. I have no
idea if that's true or what the difference is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tammy T.

Take it from me ...I just replaced the drywall in my livingroom, prime
it. An unprimed sheet of drywall will do nothing other than suck up
any moisture put on it. You will have a h*ll of a time removing the
texture in say 10 years if you don't. And I don't know how well the
pain over the texture would turn out if you don't. I havent ever
texturised anything but I'm going to venture a guess that the paint
color will not look as nice if the texure isn't in good shape (too
thin in some spots bc of no primer).

Tammy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank

The drywall primer referenced above is also known as heavy body primer.
If you apply this primer you eliminate the hot spots where the dry
wall compound is as well filling in minor imperfections. Under texture
it'll allow some better drying control and allow the texture to cure
correctly! After having done the entire first floor gut rehab believe
me the drywall primer is a requirement the finish paint when applied
comes uniform and I used an low lustre latex enamael and it is
beautiful. Of course I also sprayed the primer with airless and rolled
the finish. The ceilings had to be popcorn texture sprayed on to match
the rest of the house. I might also add that for 10 years I ran a
paint and wallper store the customers usually followed my advice those
that didn't well they usually ended up applying additional coats to
hide the hot spots!

HTH

Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox

"mig" wrote in message
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

For all the reasons stated by each person, you can do it either way. You
can prime it before texture........or after you texture and before you
paint. You don't even have to prime it to paint it....but you'll use a lot
more paint if you don't and marks on the wall will show through.. Me, I
like to tape and bed, then texture with dry wall compound out of a five
gallon bucket. When I have it like I want it, I "seal" it one coat and
paint the next coat. They usually prime more in new construction and seal in
remodel. I use Kiltz. It comes in water base and oil base for really
heavy needs.........like over smoke damage or marks a lot graffiti. It
might take two coats of paint but usually one seal coat.........then one
paint coat works.

Good luck,
Randy