Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Default ? priming drywall

mig wrote:
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

When I had my house built, the drywall contractor asked if I wanted a
swirl pattern on the ceiling of the LR after the initial joint and nail
plastering. He said it would cost $150 extra to do. We said yes. He
applied the watered down spackle with a wallpaper brush in a swirl,
left-right-left-right, right over the ceiling drywall and first coated
seams without any primer.
It came out very nice. After we had it done, we figured that putting the
texture on the bare ceiling saved the contractor from having to come
back two more times to sand and apply the second and third coats of
plaster. Live and Learn. :-)
It's been up there for 21 years and has been repainted twice. It still
looks good and hasn't had any problems.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY