Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Cox

Default ? priming drywall

"mig" wrote in message
Hi,

This has probably been answered before but after googling it for this
group I couldn't find exactly what I needed.

I've put up the drywall in the basement, only on the walls.

I'm finished putting the mud on the nails and seams.

Here's my question:

I plan to put drywall 'texture' on the walls. Should I prime the
drywall with paint first?, then apply the texture?, and then paint
over the mud texture... or can I skip priming the drywall with paint
and just put on the mud texture and paint over that.

Thanks,

Mig

For all the reasons stated by each person, you can do it either way. You
can prime it before texture........or after you texture and before you
paint. You don't even have to prime it to paint it....but you'll use a lot
more paint if you don't and marks on the wall will show through.. Me, I
like to tape and bed, then texture with dry wall compound out of a five
gallon bucket. When I have it like I want it, I "seal" it one coat and
paint the next coat. They usually prime more in new construction and seal in
remodel. I use Kiltz. It comes in water base and oil base for really
heavy needs.........like over smoke damage or marks a lot graffiti. It
might take two coats of paint but usually one seal coat.........then one
paint coat works.

Good luck,
Randy