Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internet connected kitchen appliances

On Friday, 3 June 2016 20:30:31 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote
jim k wrote

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or oven?

And potentially with complicated recipes the web site with the
recipe on it could program the oven for you and all you have
to do is put the stuff to be cooked in the oven when told to etc.

I seriously hope it's only Rod that would be useful for.
Surely if someone's too mentally amiss to even set a temperature
dial they wouldn't manage to go to a website to tell it to do it.

We aren't talking about just setting the temperature dial with
the best of the microwave ovens and multiphase cooking that
is needed to do even just some stuff like rice properly.

Only a terminal ****wit such as yourself would 'think' it was
better to manually copy that detail from the printed recipe
to the oven when you want to do that particular recipe.

Only I and every competent cook in the land. No chef sets the recipe writer's temp & cook time every time, and doesn't vary it. I guess that's another thing we can add to your list of incompetences.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2016 21:06, Richard wrote:
"Graham." wrote in message

39 minuets "daily quick" cycle.

Keep coming bach for more?

Surely, "almost two score" rather than 39?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 20:30:11 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jun 2016 13:51:01 +0100, John Rumm

On 02/06/16 23:58, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you can trigger the washing to complete soon before you arrive
home, giving it less chance to crease in the drum. And so you can
come home to a hot but not burnt dinner?

Sigh. In the 50s that was called 'a wife'

These days you can phone her at work and ask her to remotely put the
dinner on ;-)

I've recently added a bank of eight relays to my Raspberry Pi Asterisk
phone system, at the moment they do nothing but "click", I keep looking
at it and thinking, I'll find a use for that some day.

I suspect that'll be the USB connected one? I have a single one on mine
at present; it operates the front door lock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2016 13:07, Clive Page wrote:
On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

Over the past few months we have been looking at some new appliances as
we expect to move house. Several times the sales-droids have pointed out
internet connectivity (either of actual goods, or possibly upcoming).
Not one has been able sensibly to answer the obvious question, why would
we want that?

For our own needs, I cannot see any advantages to internet connectivity,
even if it didn't jack the prices up.

There are potential reasons. Perhaps with more complex goods, remote
diagnostics in case of problems, firmware/software updates, and the
like. And for Hotpoint appliances, a built-in emergency fire service
call module?

"
We notice you have a Hotpoint Washer/Drier.

Other people with a Hotpoint Washer/Drier bought

A fire extinguisher

An insurance policy

A new house
"

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Any well designed system would allow you to get the detail from the
recipe and then vary it in the oven as you find you need to, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2016 21:47, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
"
We notice you have a Hotpoint Washer/Drier.

Other people with a Hotpoint Washer/Drier bought

A fire extinguisher

An insurance policy

A new house
"

Very good! :-) :-) :-)

Links to LastMinute.com, RightMove, ...

Perhaps M&S could go for the combined M&S Insurance + Replacement
clothes and Home furnishings package deal...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham." wrote in message

39 minuets "daily quick" cycle.

Keep coming bach for more?

Surely, "almost two score" rather than 39?

Well they have been known to waltz across the floor when the drum
isn't balanced.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you can trigger the washing to complete soon before you arrive
home, giving it less chance to crease in the drum. And so you can
come home to a hot but not burnt dinner?

Sigh. In the 50s that was called 'a wife'

These days you can phone her at work and ask her to remotely put the
dinner on ;-)

I've recently added a bank of eight relays to my Raspberry Pi Asterisk
phone system, at the moment they do nothing but "click", I keep looking
at it and thinking, I'll find a use for that some day.

I suspect that'll be the USB connected one? I have a single one on mine
at present; it operates the front door lock.

GPIO pins.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/22MV0t

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 June 2016 21:49:19 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

....making it totally pointless to send the info direct from website to oven. Moron.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

Works fine and works even better with a roast where you put just the
meat in there and the put the potatoes etc in for the last hour once
you get home.

Slow cookers work fine with meat veg water etc,. but dont have as
much need to be started remotely so its ready when you get home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Wrong, as always, with multiphase cooking for stuff like rice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 23:03:25 UTC+1, jim wrote:
why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance unattended.
Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 23:03:25 UTC+1, jim wrote:
why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance unattended.
Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.

You disconnect the solar panels when not home?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
jim wrote

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or oven?

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance unattended.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

You'd be up **** creek without a paddle if the world was
actually stupid enough to operate like that with mobile
bases, traffic lights, aircraft navigation systems, etc etc etc.

Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.

Corse no locally made crap ever catches fire, eh ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 08:21:28 +0100, Richard wrote:

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance

unattended.
Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.

You disconnect the solar panels when not home?

Not to mention any fridges or freezers.

And are any white goods actually made in this country now?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

what possible use is it when you need to use different settings? Don't bother answering, you're beyond clueless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

You dont NEED to ****wit. Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself
would have to use the original settings to see if it works and whether
they need adjusting after you try them and find they can be improved.

Even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should be able to work out the
advantage of being able to just tap on a button and have the original
settings end up in the oven so you can try the recipe.

And quite a bit of the time the original details wont need fiddling with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 June 2016 20:20:05 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
39 minuets "daily quick" cycle.

Handy for washing any crocheted items.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/16 20:03, critcher wrote:

There was an article I read - something like the dfeath of te americamn
mifddle calss, which made the following point.

have you got fat fingers or is it whisky?

low light, poor eyesight fat fingers and typing too fast.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/16 19:44, polygonum wrote:
Several times the sales-droids have pointed out internet connectivity
(either of actual goods, or possibly upcoming). Not one has been able
sensibly to answer the obvious question, why would we want that?

The IT business is very good and selling you solutions you don't want
and certainly don need to problems you didn't know you had, and on
reflection, haven't got anyway..

Think 'Apple'

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

Its OK by and large, if you have a rat proof oven.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

And how many meals can be made without some attention? I suppose if just
roasting a joint remote control of the oven could sometimes be used. But
if you're not sure when you will get home would you really cook that sort
of meal?

If you do want instant food when you get home at any time, use a slow
cooker. Many hours after cooked won't make any difference.

--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 09:27, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2016 08:21:28 +0100, Richard wrote:

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance

unattended.
Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.

You disconnect the solar panels when not home?

Not to mention any fridges or freezers.

And are any white goods actually made in this country now?

Beko driers are.

Also Numatic vaccuums

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 12:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 03/06/16 19:44, polygonum wrote:
Several times the sales-droids have pointed out internet connectivity
(either of actual goods, or possibly upcoming). Not one has been able
sensibly to answer the obvious question, why would we want that?

The IT business is very good and selling you solutions you don't want
and certainly don need to problems you didn't know you had, and on
reflection, haven't got anyway..

Think 'Apple'

I do think Apple, which is why I continue to buy their cheapest model,
stick an SSD in it, and Bob's your uncle. No Windows (so no viruses or
the need to where sunglasses until I tone down the visual bling), all
my apps work, no slowdowns or need to re-install, no disk
fragmentation, no registry, just solutions to what I want to do.

OTOH, no "smart"phones, no watches, or other "solutions" looking for a
problem.

Well Linux is the same, but cheaper, and you can still run Linux on a
power PC mac that you cant run today's OSX on.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/06/16 20:03, critcher wrote:

There was an article I read - something like the dfeath of te americamn
mifddle calss, which made the following point.

have you got fat fingers or is it whisky?

low light, poor eyesight fat fingers and typing too fast.

Crank up the photons, then.

Will that make the spiel chucker work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 12:14, Tim Streater wrote:

I do think Apple, which is why I continue to buy their cheapest model,
stick an SSD in it, and Bob's your uncle. No Windows (so no viruses or
the need to where sunglasses until I tone down the visual bling), all
my apps work, no slowdowns or need to re-install, no disk
fragmentation, no registry, just solutions to what I want to do.

Was that sarcasm? There are quite a few exploits doing the rounds on
Apple systems ATM. Even their playpen has been exploited recently with
malicious apps pretending to be other apps and getting past the playpen
checking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/2016 08:21, Richard wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Thursday, 2 June 2016 23:03:25 UTC+1, jim wrote:
why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

A very bad idea to regularly run any electrical appliance unattended.
Especially these days of foreign crap catching fire.

You disconnect the solar panels when not home?

Only the Chinese ones he has. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I don't have a PowerPC Mac any longer. When I buy the new model, I sell
the old one on ebay for a large %-age of its new price. So the outlay
is not too bad at all. I keep the KVM so there's no outlay there
either. The displays are both Dells - mine is 2009 and SWMBO's is 2007,
no worries there either.

And I've had no problems with driving the Canon printer via the
ethernet - two-sided, scanner, and all.

My PC costs average out at less than £200 a year.

I dont think you will get an up to date mac for that.

Let alone a laptop, desktop and a server.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 12:35, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/06/2016 12:14, Tim Streater wrote:

I do think Apple, which is why I continue to buy their cheapest model,
stick an SSD in it, and Bob's your uncle. No Windows (so no viruses or
the need to where sunglasses until I tone down the visual bling), all
my apps work, no slowdowns or need to re-install, no disk
fragmentation, no registry, just solutions to what I want to do.

Was that sarcasm? There are quite a few exploits doing the rounds on
Apple systems ATM. Even their playpen has been exploited recently with
malicious apps pretending to be other apps and getting past the playpen
checking.

Apple is slightly less crap than Windows, thats all.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

Its OK by and large, if you have a rat proof oven.

I don't want my evening-meal-to-be to have been a festering mass of
bacteria for hours - which can happen in kitchens that are warm whether
due to heating or weather. The cooking might kill them but the toxins
that can be produced are less than ideal ingredients.

I am not concerned about rats in the oven.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 21:06:16 +0100, Richard wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message

On Fri, 03 Jun 2016 13:56:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you can trigger the washing to complete soon before you arrive
home, giving it less chance to crease in the drum.

You know how long your washing machine cycle is? ;-)

My Miele has an anti-crease function. It turns over the washing every
once in a while after the cycle is finished.

39 minuets "daily quick" cycle.

Keep coming bach for more?

Offen!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/2016 23:03, jim wrote:

why TF would anyone want an Internet connected washing machine or
oven?

So you could start them up while you were out, and have closes
washed or
dinner cooked on your return? I know that a timeswitch is nearly as
good, but only if your return time is entirely predictable.

Is it really such a wonderful idea to put, for example, uncooked meat,
vegetables, water, etc., into an oven many hours ahead of cooking?

Its OK by and large, if you have a rat proof oven.

I don't want my evening-meal-to-be to have been a festering mass of
bacteria for hours - which can happen in kitchens that are warm whether
due to heating or weather. The cooking might kill them but the toxins
that can be produced are less than ideal ingredients.

I am not concerned about rats in the oven.

I assume you are simply too young to remember life before refrigerators?

--
it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I assume you are simply too young to remember life before
refrigerators?

Unless you are like Methuselah, so are you. "In 1834, the first working
vapor-compression refrigeration system was built."

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 14:35, Tim Streater wrote:
In article om,
dennis@home wrote:

On 04/06/2016 12:14, Tim Streater wrote:

I do think Apple, which is why I continue to buy their cheapest model,
stick an SSD in it, and Bob's your uncle. No Windows (so no viruses or
the need to where sunglasses until I tone down the visual bling), all
my apps work, no slowdowns or need to re-install, no disk
fragmentation, no registry, just solutions to what I want to do.

Was that sarcasm? There are quite a few exploits doing the rounds on
Apple systems ATM. Even their playpen has been exploited recently with
malicious apps pretending to be other apps and getting past the
playpen checking.

V. funny Dennis. How many is that then? Last time I checked, some 8
years ago, there were more than 140,000 viruses etc for Windows.

Not a word about "exploits" on any Mac ng, so you're imagining things
again.

All apples are not Macs.
Lot of Iphone exploits in the field

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 14:37, polygonum wrote:

I assume you are simply too young to remember life before
refrigerators?

Unless you are like Methuselah, so are you. "In 1834, the first working
vapor-compression refrigeration system was built."

Don't be silly. How many families in 1955 had refrigerators?

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Over how many years? I buy a new machine about every five years or
more. Usually for £500 or so.

Thats for three machines annually.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 14:37, polygonum wrote:

I assume you are simply too young to remember life before
refrigerators?

Unless you are like Methuselah, so are you. "In 1834, the first working
vapor-compression refrigeration system was built."

Don't be silly. How many families in 1955 had refrigerators?

"Only 15 per cent had a fridge and freezers and tumble dryers were
scarcely heard of."

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/1950s.html

I wasn't in the UK for much of the 1950s. 15% is a large enough
proportion for most people to know of them and even to have experienced
their use, even if they did not have their own.

Those without refrigerators could do various things to help keep
perishable food safe.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/06/16 17:07, polygonum wrote:
On 04/06/16 14:37, polygonum wrote:

I assume you are simply too young to remember life before
refrigerators?

Unless you are like Methuselah, so are you. "In 1834, the first working
vapor-compression refrigeration system was built."

Don't be silly. How many families in 1955 had refrigerators?

"Only 15 per cent had a fridge and freezers and tumble dryers were
scarcely heard of."

http://www.primaryhomeworkhelp.co.uk/war/1950s.html

I wasn't in the UK for much of the 1950s. 15% is a large enough
proportion for most people to know of them and even to have experienced
their use, even if they did not have their own.

Those without refrigerators could do various things to help keep
perishable food safe.

Well sticking it in a pot for 8 hours was one of those ways

When grew up we had no fridge, no freezer, no central heating, no
heating at all hardly, no hot water, no washing machine, no spin dryer
and no tumble drier. We did have a mangle, and an electric iron.

Food kept at best 2 days so you didn't buy once a week, but every other day.

And since we didn't have a car either that meant walking to the shops (
a mile either way) and carrying it all back in a bag.

WE didnt have so many rapes muggings, suicides and gender politics
either. It was a hard life, but people understood that and helped each
other out.

all women"

Kitchen Appliances www.internetkitchenappliances.co.uk Home Repair 0 October 15th 08 12:08 PM
Kitchen appliances Alexander Galkin Home Repair 26 May 27th 05 11:48 AM
kitchen appliances Jeff UK diy 2 February 22nd 05 09:19 PM
A Philips Hi-Fi that is connected to the Internet Graham Electronics Repair 2 November 6th 04 10:35 PM
Home Automation, control your household lights and appliances over the internet Jim Brett UK diy 42 October 18th 03 10:00 PM