Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Internet connected kitchen appliances

On 04/06/16 14:36, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

On 04/06/16 12:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 03/06/16 19:44, polygonum wrote:
Several times the sales-droids have pointed out internet
connectivity
(either of actual goods, or possibly upcoming). Not one has been
able
sensibly to answer the obvious question, why would we want that?

The IT business is very good and selling you solutions you don't want
and certainly don need to problems you didn't know you had, and on
reflection, haven't got anyway..

Think 'Apple'

I do think Apple, which is why I continue to buy their cheapest model,
stick an SSD in it, and Bob's your uncle. No Windows (so no viruses or
the need to where sunglasses until I tone down the visual bling), all
my apps work, no slowdowns or need to re-install, no disk
fragmentation, no registry, just solutions to what I want to do.

OTOH, no "smart"phones, no watches, or other "solutions" looking for a
problem.

Well Linux is the same, but cheaper, and you can still run Linux on a
power PC mac that you cant run today's OSX on.

I don't have a PowerPC Mac any longer. When I buy the new model, I sell
the old one on ebay for a large %-age of its new price. So the outlay
is not too bad at all. I keep the KVM so there's no outlay there
either. The displays are both Dells - mine is 2009 and SWMBO's is 2007,
no worries there either.

And I've had no problems with driving the Canon printer via the
ethernet - two-sided, scanner, and all.

My PC costs average out at less than £200 a year.

Over how many years? I buy a new machine about every five years or
more. Usually for £500 or so.

Thats for three machines annually.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)