Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Riverside Cottage 3

Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 18:42:51 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply for
a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it being
improved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/23/2016 1:54 PM, Mark Allread wrote:

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply for
a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it being
improved.

Interesting. Do you have a link for that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 19:39, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/23/2016 1:54 PM, Mark Allread wrote:

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply for
a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it being
improved.

Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

You most certainly can get a grant for superfast broadband, subject to
various conditions, including where you live:

http://gov.wales/topics/science-and-...dband/?lang=en

http://www.bluewaveinternet.co.uk/

Note, you need to at least double your broadband speed in order to be
eligible. So, currently less than 15 taking you to about 30 with
Bluewave is viable.

(I don't live in Wales but happened to know about this.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
Allread writes
On Mon, 23 May 2016 18:42:51 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply for
a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it being
improved.

Around 5-6 meg. Plenty for what I do but not much for streaming.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/16 18:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?

If you lay in cable (cat 5e?) capable of at least 100Mbps everywhere -
no need to terminate it - just label it - that's good enough to move
video around, which is about as fast as you get...

Wifi is inferior as two or more devices on wifi contend.

Powerplugs sort of work, till they don't. Not sure what it is that
knocks them out but something does.

If you can terminate the star point of all the cables on a patch panel'

Its may be also worth wiring with satellite cable back to te same opint
to distribute TCV and satellite signals via a distriibution amp.

Telephones can run over cat 5 if you prefer fixed phones that cant get
lost...and of course if its IP VOIP works..

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://gov.wales/topics/science-and-...band/?lang=eng
http://www.bluewaveinternet.co.uk/
Note, you need to at least double your broadband speed in order to be
eligible. So, currently less than 15 taking you to about 30 with
Bluewave is viable.

(I don't live in Wales but happened to know about this.)

We're a bit far from Wales, unfortunately (the north coast of Scotland).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 22:40, S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

Well this is not the same, but ma be of interest:

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamen...ees/87662.aspx

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2016 18:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?

Try posting in this forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Michael Chare
writes
On 23/05/2016 18:42, Tim Lamb wrote:
Now the data connection thread has moved to the willy waving phase;-),
can someone kindly condense the advice (farmer level) to what is
required to future proof my Internet needs? Should I be laying in ducts
and cabling? If so, what?

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

Currently none of our TVs are connected to the Internet although they
have the facility. Devolo and wifi meet the i -pad, lap top, PC use but
I suspect will prove inadequate eventually.

Any thoughts?

Try posting in this forum:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html

Huh!
I succeeded in confusing myself by simply googling cat5e.

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/23/2016 5:47 PM, polygonum wrote:

Well this is not the same, but ma be of interest:

http://www.parliament.scot/parliamen...ees/87662.aspx

Thanks - yes, we've been hearing about that for ages, but still have
crap speeds. Even though fibre was laid right along the coast road, they
haven't seen fit to branch off up our road.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so you
could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere with
more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split" the
ethernet any number of ways.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so
you could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere
with more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split"
the ethernet any number of ways.

If you're running cat5, 100Mbs, remember that a single cable can be
connected to give 2 independent outlets. If you want to upgrade some to
Gbs, then the two outlets can be recombined very easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so you
could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere with
more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split" the
ethernet any number of ways.

A *switch* needing an ethernet feed and mains power? How likely is it
that the average self employed electrician will be able to deal with
this at first fix?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

A *switch* needing an ethernet feed and mains power?

Yes (it's possible to get switches that can take their power over the
ethernet, but no benefit if the equipment it's connected to needs mains
anyway).

How likely is it that the average self employed electrician will be
able to deal with this at first fix?

Running cat5e cables from each location back to a suitable point for
your main switch? They should all be able to handle that. As someone
else pointed out a single cable could initially be wired as two 10/100Mb
sockets in a twin euro faceplate, then later re-wired to a single 1Gb
socket for a switch if required.

At first fix, just leave a foot of cable at each remote end, and a
couple of yards coiled up on all the central ends, so you can decide
what/where to deal with them later.

e.g. in a cupboard, I have a shallow 5U 19" rack, with a cat5 patch
panel, a keystone jack panel for coax, hdmi, phone, usb connections, a
small switch (careful not all will fit in a shallow rack) and my power
distribution strip, router, firewall.

similar to this ...

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/163-5u-19-200mm-deep-stackable-rack-cabinet-case-5055726200567.html

might be overkill for your requirements, but better IMO than just a row
of datapoints on the wall, or just bare wires terminated in plugs poking
out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:39:26 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/23/2016 1:54 PM, Mark Allread wrote:

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply
for a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it
being improved.

Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.c...adband-service

Follow the various links from there. You are checked to see if you
qualify and then given an e-voucher to use against installation and first
year running cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 May 2016 20:29:36 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Mark
Allread writes
On Mon, 23 May 2016 18:42:51 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Located in a rural lane, about 1 mile as the cables run to the
exchange.
Fibre unlikely for 9 houses over 800m from the nearest cabinet.

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply for
a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it being
improved.

Around 5-6 meg. Plenty for what I do but not much for streaming.

Wow, compared to a c1.25mbps you are already superfast . Sorry it
doesn't help you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/163-5...able-rack-cabi
net-case-5055726200567.html

might be overkill for your requirements, but better IMO than just a row
of datapoints on the wall, or just bare wires terminated in plugs
poking out.

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

My router has run for months without attention but there was a period
when regular resets were necessary.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:

A *switch* needing an ethernet feed and mains power? How likely is it
that the average self employed electrician will be able to deal with
this at first fix?

Our sparks could do that and terminate the connections into sockets
with no trouble. I would expect a sparks to be up to speed on that.

OK. Good news.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 00:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes
[...]

I would run a satellite cable (75ohm quality coax) to everywhere you
will need TV/radio/satellite, or, if you use both terrestrial AND
satellite, two. You can mux both signals down it - and indeed FM radio -
but its hard work.

Then add at least one cat 5 cable.
In extremis, you can add local switches to get more ports on the cat 5,
and if that's gigabit back to the main hub, having several;
conversations down one cable shouldn't slow you down much

The satellite/TV/radio cables you feed from a distribution amp. I had
one that happily took a VHF aerial and TV aerial and fed about 12 cables
to the house wiring.

It proved to be reasonably possible to do evil things with the coax,
like dasy chaining sockets off it for 'TV here...FM tuner there' without
it being too bad on reflection, mainly because the distribution amp at
least provided proper termination.

You can run tow 100Mnps channels down one CAT5 cable or one 100Mbps and
a phone...but its a bodge.

Wire is cheap, so lay in plenty. The big problem is then what to do with
unused bits. Sometimes leaving them coiled up in the back box is sane.
Or if you have hollow stud walls, coiled up in there.

Document everything.

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 07:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so you
could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere with
more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split" the
ethernet any number of ways.

However that means the devices will have to share the link back to the
main switch.

It really depends on the 'conversations' the kit is having and whether
the Internet is the only thing you are actually connecting to. Here I
have a server that is also a media server, and so I need high speed to
that. And for big file transfers to and from it not to upset the
internet speed for other machines on the network.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 08:53, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so
you could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere
with more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split"
the ethernet any number of ways.

A *switch* needing an ethernet feed and mains power? How likely is it
that the average self employed electrician will be able to deal with
this at first fix?

Doesnt have to.

That's nothing to do with house wiring.

If you want two sockets on the wall, lay two cables. The labour to drag
two is the same as one.

The cable cost is peanuts.

You dont have to terminate the second initially if its 'in case'

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/16 10:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

No.

A decent unmanaged switch should 'just run' and teh other thing you
might put there, is a TV VHF distribution amp. That too will 'just ruin'.

My rack only got accessed when I needed to repatch the patch panels or
add a temporary ethernet cable to it directly, having run out of
socketes in the office elsewhere.

My router has run for months without attention but there was a period
when regular resets were necessary.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/05/16 10:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

No.

A decent unmanaged switch should 'just run' and teh other thing you
might put there, is a TV VHF distribution amp. That too will 'just
ruin'.

My rack only got accessed when I needed to repatch the patch panels or
add a temporary ethernet cable to it directly, having run out of
socketes in the office elsewhere.

OK. There is an existing TV amp and distribution system which may need
updating.

Ta.
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No satellite here yet. It may come as the new house is in a less good
location for London terrestrial.

OK chaps. That is plenty for now. I'll come back for more detail when we
get around to second fix. (could be 9 months!)

Thanks
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 00:27, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Michael Chare
writes
[...]

If your question is how to I install cables in my house, then I would
suggest that you use the latest standard which is Cat 6.

The cables must to be correctly terminated, it is important to retain
the twist as far a possible.

The cables need to be run back to a convenient central point where you
have your external internet connection terminates and a Gbps capable switch.

Depending on the size of your house you may find it appropriate to plan
for a 2nd wireless access point and maybe a 2nd switch. The maximum
cable length is 100m, though that is more of a consideration for office
blocks.

I did find a patch lead I had bought was not good for 1Gbps.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/24/2016 5:22 AM, Mark Allread wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2016 14:39:26 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

On 5/23/2016 1:54 PM, Mark Allread wrote:

What speed do you get? Less than 2mbps and you may be able to apply
for a grant for a satellite installation if there is no prospect of it
being improved.

Interesting. Do you have a link for that?

http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.c...adband-service

Follow the various links from there. You are checked to see if you
qualify and then given an e-voucher to use against installation and first
year running cost.

There don't seem to be any grants like that, for my area (northwest
Scotland).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.c...sic-broadband-

service

Follow the various links from there. You are checked to see if you
qualify and then given an e-voucher to use against installation and
first year running cost.

There don't seem to be any grants like that, for my area (northwest
Scotland).

Yes, I think it is only England and Wales that can get them. Pester your
MSP/Parliament to see if they will follow the lead given by the
southerners. Maybe there are more votes to be had by giving out 'baby
boxes' though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 08:42, Capitol wrote:

If you're running cat5, 100Mbs, remember that a single cable can be
connected to give 2 independent outlets. If you want to upgrade some to
Gbs, then the two outlets can be recombined very easily.

That only works for short runs, up to about 20m.
More than that and you can get odd problems.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2016 10:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

It shouldn't.

My router has run for months without attention but there was a period
when regular resets were necessary.

Get a mains switch put in an easy to reach place so you can power it all
down if needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would run a satellite cable (75ohm quality coax) to everywhere you
will need TV/radio/satellite, or, if you use both terrestrial AND
satellite, two. You can mux both signals down it - and indeed FM radio -
but its hard work.

Most sat recorders need two coax cables so don't skimp and put in one if
you want sat TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 24/05/2016 10:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

It shouldn't.

My router has run for months without attention but there was a period
when regular resets were necessary.

Get a mains switch put in an easy to reach place so you can power it all
down if needed.

I used a UPS - much tidier and didn't need attention.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/05/16 10:26, Tim Lamb wrote:

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

No.

A decent unmanaged switch should 'just run' and teh other thing you
might put there, is a TV VHF distribution amp. That too will 'just
ruin'.

My rack only got accessed when I needed to repatch the patch panels
or add a temporary ethernet cable to it directly, having run out of
socketes in the office elsewhere.

OK. There is an existing TV amp and distribution system which may need
updating.

Ta.

I've found these to be reliable, but you need to buy an extra
component as well to inject the supply voltage. It's very difficult to
buy lossless combiners.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Yes, it's also possible to get away with a system where the
outputs, feed back after remote amplification and combining into the
input amplifier. As said, DOCUMENT EVERYTHING, there's nothing worse
than looking into a tangle of wires you did 20yrs ago and wasting days
redocumenting from those wires.

I have found that a cheap rf modulator makes a good signal
generator:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this is the best detector I have found:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mapping the signal strengths has proved to be a good idea when
fault finding. I have provided both up and down feeds at most TV
outlet positions, this allows the various PVRs/cctcv to be viewed at any
outlet point.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote:

it is always worth leaving a nylon draw rope in place alongside the
cables to make it easier to pull in more at a later stage.

Is draw rope actually that much cheaper than cat5e?