Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Riverside Cottage 3

On 24/05/16 07:33, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

A gentleman from America was explaining how he had run 4 cables to each
place he was likely to have a TV.

This could easily be 4 sites here plus the PC in the office. Do I really
need 18 separate cables?

Probably not, it sometimes handy to run two cables to a location so you
could connect e.g. a smart TV and a set top box, but for anywhere with
more devices than that, a small switch is easy enough to "split" the
ethernet any number of ways.

However that means the devices will have to share the link back to the
main switch.

It really depends on the 'conversations' the kit is having and whether
the Internet is the only thing you are actually connecting to. Here I
have a server that is also a media server, and so I need high speed to
that. And for big file transfers to and from it not to upset the
internet speed for other machines on the network.

let them."