Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Riverside Cottage 3

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

A *switch* needing an ethernet feed and mains power?

Yes (it's possible to get switches that can take their power over the
ethernet, but no benefit if the equipment it's connected to needs mains
anyway).

How likely is it that the average self employed electrician will be
able to deal with this at first fix?

Running cat5e cables from each location back to a suitable point for
your main switch? They should all be able to handle that. As someone
else pointed out a single cable could initially be wired as two
10/100Mb sockets in a twin euro faceplate, then later re-wired to a
single 1Gb socket for a switch if required.

At first fix, just leave a foot of cable at each remote end, and a
couple of yards coiled up on all the central ends, so you can decide
what/where to deal with them later.

e.g. in a cupboard, I have a shallow 5U 19" rack, with a cat5 patch
panel, a keystone jack panel for coax, hdmi, phone, usb connections, a
small switch (careful not all will fit in a shallow rack) and my power
distribution strip, router, firewall.

similar to this ...

http://www.allmetalparts.co.uk/163-5...able-rack-cabi
net-case-5055726200567.html

might be overkill for your requirements, but better IMO than just a row
of datapoints on the wall, or just bare wires terminated in plugs
poking out.

Does the rack need any attention once set up? I will have lots of eaves
access spaces but behind doors.

My router has run for months without attention but there was a period
when regular resets were necessary.

--
Tim Lamb