Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default threaded nut on g9 lampholder

Hi All
I have a ceiling light with 3x g9 bulbs. The glass shades are help on using
a threaded nut which screws around the g9 lampholder. The nut has a 'cogged' or
splined outer and the fitting came with a (cheap, plastic) box spanner affair
for undoing the nut.

Every time I have to take the fitting off I have trouble because (a) the spanner
is so cheap, and (b) the nut is not a smooth fit on the lampholder.

This last time, the nut has finally broken in two, so I will have to find an
alternative.

1) any suggested source for decent (or even semi-decent) such threaded nuts
for g9 bulbholders? I assume the thread is standard for these.

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut
onto the lampholder?

Thanks for any thoughts

jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

OK, I now learn that they are called 'shade rings', or 'lamp rings'. So at least I can get hold of some.

Still interested in a decent 'shade ring tool' or ideas for easing the turning...

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn submitted this idea :
OK, I now learn that they are called 'shade rings', or 'lamp rings'. So at
least I can get hold of some.

Still interested in a decent 'shade ring tool' or ideas for easing the
turning...

J^n

I don't know if this might help, but they used to sell a spring steel
clip to replace shade rings, stamped out of sheet metal. You just
squeezed its arms and it released the shade.

Another variation used a thin metal spring arms, which you held
together to remove the shade, but the shade needed to have a larger
than normal hole for the squeezed together arms to be able to pass
through. It would be held in place by a normal shade ring.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I used to use vaseline, but in the end plastic goes brittle with age heat
and temperature changes etc.
The only real fix for any kind of nut is to attempt to use all metal
fittings, but many do not like them or their expense.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"jkn" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I once successfully glued a broken nut, and it lasted another two years.
Luckily I managed not to let the glue glue it to the thread.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
jkn submitted this idea :
OK, I now learn that they are called 'shade rings', or 'lamp rings'. So
at least I can get hold of some.

Still interested in a decent 'shade ring tool' or ideas for easing the
turning...

J^n

I don't know if this might help, but they used to sell a spring steel clip
to replace shade rings, stamped out of sheet metal. You just squeezed its
arms and it released the shade.

Another variation used a thin metal spring arms, which you held together
to remove the shade, but the shade needed to have a larger than normal
hole for the squeezed together arms to be able to pass through. It would
be held in place by a normal shade ring.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
jkn writes:
Hi All
I have a ceiling light with 3x g9 bulbs. The glass shades are help on using
a threaded nut which screws around the g9 lampholder. The nut has a 'cogged' or
splined outer and the fitting came with a (cheap, plastic) box spanner affair
for undoing the nut.

Every time I have to take the fitting off I have trouble because (a) the spanner
is so cheap, and (b) the nut is not a smooth fit on the lampholder.

This last time, the nut has finally broken in two, so I will have to find an
alternative.

1) any suggested source for decent (or even semi-decent) such threaded nuts
for g9 bulbholders? I assume the thread is standard for these.

There's an M40 standard thread used with many european plastic ES and BC
lampholders (40mm diameter thread). Your G9 may well be using something
smaller though.

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut
onto the lampholder?

I could imagine that running off and making a mess ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Hi Andrew

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 11:24:07 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
jkn writes:
[...]

It's an 18mm dia thread, maybe 1.5mm pitch or so, it seems...

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut
onto the lampholder?

I could imagine that running off and making a mess ;-)

I wasn't thinking of using a lot ... just the thinnest smear of silicone grease
or something similar.

Cheers
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi jon try lighting spares.co.uk for a G9 locking nut there metel not plastic about 40p each but postage is about £=4.00 so order a few hope that helps

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1094561-.htm