Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default threaded nut on g9 lampholder

In article ,
jkn writes:
Hi All
I have a ceiling light with 3x g9 bulbs. The glass shades are help on using
a threaded nut which screws around the g9 lampholder. The nut has a 'cogged' or
splined outer and the fitting came with a (cheap, plastic) box spanner affair
for undoing the nut.

Every time I have to take the fitting off I have trouble because (a) the spanner
is so cheap, and (b) the nut is not a smooth fit on the lampholder.

This last time, the nut has finally broken in two, so I will have to find an
alternative.

1) any suggested source for decent (or even semi-decent) such threaded nuts
for g9 bulbholders? I assume the thread is standard for these.

There's an M40 standard thread used with many european plastic ES and BC
lampholders (40mm diameter thread). Your G9 may well be using something
smaller though.

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut
onto the lampholder?

I could imagine that running off and making a mess ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel