Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PVC threaded fittings into Vacuum Breaker -- shorten threaded part?

I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our
sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough
that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum
breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in. of
thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the
threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part
(which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of the VB?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perce,

I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our
sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough
that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum
breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in.
of thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the
threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part
(which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of the
VB?

Having exposed thread won't cause any problems, in fact that's how most
threaded fittings end up.

If the vacuum breaker is heavy enough that you're worried about it, it
would be smarter to install some kind of strap to carry the weight of the
VB.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06/20/14 11:58 pm, HerHusband wrote:

Perce,

I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our
sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough
that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum
breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in.
of thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the
threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part
(which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of the
VB?

Having exposed thread won't cause any problems, in fact that's how most
threaded fittings end up.

If the vacuum breaker is heavy enough that you're worried about it, it
would be smarter to install some kind of strap to carry the weight of the
VB.

Thanks, Anthony. The vacuum breaker was already -- and still will be --
supported by straps.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our
sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough
that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum
breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in.
of thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the
threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part
(which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of
the VB?

If the thread only goes part way into the VB, and you cut off the part that will
fit into the VB threaded hole, it won't go together. Just use it the way it
fits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jun 2014 07:40:02 -0400, Nobody
wrote:

[...]

When you tighten down the PVC into the body, there is no need to get
heavy-handed. The fittings are easy to crack - just saying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 20, 2014 11:58:40 PM UTC-4, HerHusband wrote:
Perce,

I'm replacing the indoor section of the plumbing that feeds our

sprinkler system. The old PVC threaded fittings screwed in far enough

that the shoulder of the fitting contacted the body of the vacuum

breaker, but the new fittings bottom in the VB with more than 1/2 in.

of thread still showing. Would it be a good idea to cut enough off the

threaded portion of the PVC fittings so that none of the threaded part

(which I assume is the weakest part) is unsupported by the body of the

VB?

Having exposed thread won't cause any problems, in fact that's how most

threaded fittings end up.

+1

They are tapered and are not supposed to go all the way in.
Only far enough to make them tight and not leak.

Threaded rod for tap F[_2_] UK diy 5 January 31st 12 09:42 AM
Building an axle puller- Source for hardened threaded rod/screws, andthrough-hole threaded material for same? Dave__67 Metalworking 19 April 24th 10 12:43 PM
0-80 threaded spacers Marcus[_2_] Metalworking 4 December 2nd 08 05:22 PM
how to protect threaded part Jeff Williams Metalworking 12 April 22nd 05 07:25 PM
threaded copper supply fittings Liquid Smoke Home Repair 5 June 28th 04 04:46 AM