Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Default threaded nut on g9 lampholder

Hi All
I have a ceiling light with 3x g9 bulbs. The glass shades are help on using
a threaded nut which screws around the g9 lampholder. The nut has a 'cogged' or
splined outer and the fitting came with a (cheap, plastic) box spanner affair
for undoing the nut.

Every time I have to take the fitting off I have trouble because (a) the spanner
is so cheap, and (b) the nut is not a smooth fit on the lampholder.

This last time, the nut has finally broken in two, so I will have to find an
alternative.

1) any suggested source for decent (or even semi-decent) such threaded nuts
for g9 bulbholders? I assume the thread is standard for these.

2) similarly for a decent box spanner design...

3) could I use some sort of high-temperature grease to ease the fit of the nut
onto the lampholder?

Thanks for any thoughts

jon N