Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plug in timer "not suitable for washing machines"?!

I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back, "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines". The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor. But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?

--
While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she weighed.
"I really don't know," she said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 November 2015 15:25:41 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back, "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines". The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor. But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?

--
While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she weighed.
"I really don't know," she said.
"Well, more or less," I prompted.
"More, I guess," she answered sadly.

Could be the electronics in the timer are not protected against transients generated by the motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:38:22 -0000, harry wrote:

On Friday, 27 November 2015 15:25:41 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back, "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines". The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor. But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?

--
While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she weighed.
"I really don't know," she said.
"Well, more or less," I prompted.
"More, I guess," she answered sadly.

Could be the electronics in the timer are not protected against transients generated by the motor.

But the motor is on a seperate circuit, separated by the relay contacts. If a transistor did the switching, I would agree.

--
Peter is listening to "Fredzefred - All da Motha ****as"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well most machines these days seem to use their own delay timers and need to
be powered to keep the machine in the mode you set it to on the menu. If its
an old mechanical one then I'd have no issues, but of course with cold fill
the heater is often quite a high current.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Tough Guy no. 1265" wrote in message
news
I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back, "Not suitable for
dishwashers and washing machines". The only reason I can think of is the
inductance of the motor. But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I
can hear it). So why?

--
While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she
weighed.
"I really don't know," she said.
"Well, more or less," I prompted.
"More, I guess," she answered sadly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The timer is rated at 3.2kW, so it's not the current that's the problem.

If the washing machine had a delay timer, you wouldn't be trying to use the plugin timer anyway.

My washing machine requires me to press start to turn it on. I haven't tried it, but I don't know if it would work if I pressed start, then shut off the mains, then put it back on later. It would be a bit clumsy though, you'd have to give the machine power while you started it, then put it on the timer.

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things like lights or heaters.

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:02:47 -0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Well most machines these days seem to use their own delay timers and need to
be powered to keep the machine in the mode you set it to on the menu. If its
an old mechanical one then I'd have no issues, but of course with cold fill
the heater is often quite a high current.
Brian

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

" wrote in
:

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put
it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things
like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings until you
press the start button - or the onboard timer selects start. I guess the
timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood to avoid complaints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2015 18:52, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 18:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
" wrote in
:

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put
it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things
like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings until you
press the start button - or the onboard timer selects start. I guess the
timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood to avoid complaints.

You nailed it.

Tumble driers also won't work with a plug in time so you can use a timer
to force them to run during the economy 7 cheap period. :-(

You have to use your brain to work out home many hours the drier's own
delay start timer should be set to use the cheap period.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2015 19:54, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

To make matters worse npower off-peak starts at 10:30pm for a couple of
hours but then reverts to full price for an hour or so after that before
starting off-peak again. I think they are a German Company so they
probably hate English consumers. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Albert Zweistein wrote in
web.com:

[...]

Is economy 7 really the best for you? Have you taken stock recently?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2015 21:20, DerbyBorn wrote:
Albert Zweistein wrote in
web.com:

[...]

Yeah it is, I've got this special high tech timer called an alarm clock
that's set to go off when I have to start a wash/dryer cycle. I can live
with getting up in the middle of the night for an hour once a week. I'm
really tough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote

I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back,
"Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines".
The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor.

It might be because they are usually programmable and don't
necessarily work properly if you try to turn them on using a
timer in the sense that they won't necessarily have kept the
program you have programmed.

But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?

It may be rated for the motor current if its that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote

I have a digital plug in timer which says on the back,
"Not suitable for dishwashers and washing machines".
The only reason I can think of is the inductance of the motor.
But it's rated at 3.2kW, and it uses a relay (I can hear it). So why?

Could be the electronics in the timer are not protected against transients
generated by the motor.

But you'd expect them to say "Not suitable for dishwashers and washing
machines or motors".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote

The timer is rated at 3.2kW, so it's not the current that's the problem.

If the washing machine had a delay timer, you wouldn't be trying to use
the plugin timer anyway.

My washing machine requires me to press start to turn it on. I haven't
tried it, but I don't know if it would work if I pressed start, then shut
off the mains, then put it back on later.

Some do handle what they think it's a short term mains failure
gracefully by just carrying on regardless when the mains comes
back, but those are usually the better designed ones which will
almost certainly have a delayed start function so you can get it
to use the power when its cheapest.

It would be a bit clumsy though, you'd have to give the machine power
while you started it, then put it on the timer.

Yeah, it would be much more convenient to get a better designed machine.

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway,

Because some get cheaper electricity at some times of the day.

I just put it on when I have a load of washing to do.

I do too, but the electricity costs the same regardless
of when I use it and I wash in cold water anyway so the
amount of power it uses isn't very high at all, not enough
to bother about even if I was on a time of use tariff.

Timers are for things like lights or heaters.

And for higher power devices like washing machines
and dishwashers when on a time of use tariff.

wrote:

Well most machines these days seem to use their own delay timers and need
be powered to keep the machine in the mode you set it to on the menu. If
its
an old mechanical one then I'd have no issues, but of course with cold
fill
the heater is often quite a high current.
Brian

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their
heads are the rabbit and the parrot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:41:15 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

" wrote in
:

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put
it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things
like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings until you
press the start button - or the onboard timer selects start. I guess the
timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood to avoid complaints.

I've a John Lewis own-brand (basically AEG) and if I put in all the
settings, including delay timer, then switch off at the socket it holds all
of the settings. If I use the switch on the machine the programme reverts to
Cotton 60.
I've never tried starting it first then switching off at the socket and back
on - must do so some time.
I still have a box with an electromechanical time and 13A socket that was
built for a GF's machine about 30-odd years ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away