Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tough Guy no. 1265 Tough Guy no. 1265 is offline

Default Plug in timer "not suitable for washing machines"?!

The timer is rated at 3.2kW, so it's not the current that's the problem.

If the washing machine had a delay timer, you wouldn't be trying to use the plugin timer anyway.

My washing machine requires me to press start to turn it on. I haven't tried it, but I don't know if it would work if I pressed start, then shut off the mains, then put it back on later. It would be a bit clumsy though, you'd have to give the machine power while you started it, then put it on the timer.

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things like lights or heaters.

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 17:02:47 -0000, Brian-Gaff wrote:

Well most machines these days seem to use their own delay timers and need to
be powered to keep the machine in the mode you set it to on the menu. If its
an old mechanical one then I'd have no issues, but of course with cold fill
the heater is often quite a high current.
Brian

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.