Posted to uk.d-i-y
Albert Zweistein[_2_] Albert Zweistein[_2_] is offline

Default Plug in timer "not suitable for washing machines"?!

On 27/11/2015 21:20, DerbyBorn wrote:
Albert Zweistein wrote in
web.com:

On 27/11/2015 19:54, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/11/2015 18:52, Albert Zweistein wrote:
On 27/11/2015 18:41, DerbyBorn wrote:
" wrote in
:

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just
put it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for
things like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings
until you press the start button - or the onboard timer selects
start. I guess the timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood
to avoid complaints.

You nailed it.

Tumble driers also won't work with a plug in time so you can use a
timer to force them to run during the economy 7 cheap period. :-(

You have to use your brain to work out home many hours the drier's
own delay start timer should be set to use the cheap period.

To make matters worse npower off-peak starts at 10:30pm for a couple
of hours but then reverts to full price for an hour or so after that
before starting off-peak again. I think they are a German Company so
they probably hate English consumers. :-(

Is economy 7 really the best for you? Have you taken stock recently?

Yeah it is, I've got this special high tech timer called an alarm clock
that's set to go off when I have to start a wash/dryer cycle. I can live
with getting up in the middle of the night for an hour once a week. I'm
really tough.