Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Default Fence Treatment "Not Suitable For Spraying"....?

Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels between 4" posts,
pretty conventional), but the Director of Works has recently informed me
that she wants it stained with one of these flashy new colour treatments.
So off we go to the local DIY shed, where many tubs of 'Ronseal Woodcare'
are procured (in a very bold shade of blue, which I fear we may come to
regret, but my opinion is not needed for such matters....).

It's a water-based product and not Hazchem-marked for anything nasty, but
hidden away in the small print is the accursed phrase "not suitable for
spraying". This belated discovery buggers my plan to treat about 25 6ft
panels very quickly and easily, via a high-pressure gun.

I've opened one of the tubs, and the consistency / viscosity appears fine
for spraying. I'm therefore at a loss to know what the problem is, and I'm
looking for encouragement to just ahead and do it anyway. It's got to be
worth trying a test on the back of a panel, messing about with dilution etc.
I wondered if they just wanted to avoid any strongly coloured overspray
problems, but maybe there's a more serious pitfall I don't know about - eg
it summons Satan and commands him to kill the family dog....?

Anyone got any ideas or comments please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Beard

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

There are a number of chemicals that are perfectly safe in normal use,
but are really dodgy if turned into a fine mist and inhaled - I wonder
if this product contains one of them.

It may be that the product is a powder in suspension - if so it is
likely to clog the sprayer.

Yet another option is that spray-treatments need a specific approval
(for safety probably) and this cost money. Printing "not suitable for
spraying" on the label costs nothing and covers thier back - print it
small enough (or on a leaflet inside the pack) and you are not likely
to lose many sales with this text!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Contact the manufacturers helpline. It may be that it's unsuitable to
certain types of spraying, or certain thinners - but they don't explain
it on the can. OTOH I've (often) talked to call centre robots that just
read out the label again with no understanding of what they're saying.
And don't tempt fate by spraying the number of the beast on the fence.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
[...]

You can spray it providing you keep changing the blocked nozzle that you
will get after a few minutes. There are specific products for spraying on
the market available at B&Q. They can be bought to go with their own
sprayer. I used a few old spray bottles to put creosote over a fence a few
years ago, it saved a lot of time but don't go spraying if it's windy. You
will have neighbours coming to kill you. Also please wear goggles as some
of the sprays in your eyes will cause a bit of damage. At the very least
have some eye wash solution handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Matt Beard wrote:

There are a number of chemicals that are perfectly safe in normal
use, but are really dodgy if turned into a fine mist and inhaled
- I wonder if this product contains one of them.

Possibly - to be honest I was surprised to find it lacked anything nasty
like permethrin etc, I prefer my wood preservatives to be packed with
toxicity. This stuff seems to just be a waxy emulsion, and I think I'll be
discreetly stirring in a 'proper' treatment (eg screwfix 12662) before
applying it. And wearing a suitable mask, of course.

It may be that the product is a powder in suspension - if so it is
likely to clog the sprayer.

Doesn't seem likely to clog - it's as runny as milk, and certainly thinner
than the exterior emulsion I successfully sprayed last year.

Yet another option is that spray-treatments need a specific
approval (for safety probably) and this cost money. Printing "not
suitable for spraying" on the label costs nothing and covers
thier back - print it small enough (or on a leaflet inside the
pack) and you are not likely to lose many sales with this text!!

Yeah, I wondered if it was just covering themselves against costs &
complications.

Thanks for your comments Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Rob wrote:

You can spray it providing you keep changing the blocked nozzle
that you will get after a few minutes. There are specific
products for spraying on the market available at B&Q. They can
be bought to go with their own sprayer. I used a few old spray
bottles to put creosote over a fence a few years ago, it saved a
lot of time but don't go spraying if it's windy. You will have
neighbours coming to kill you. Also please wear goggles as some
of the sprays in your eyes will cause a bit of damage. At the
very least have some eye wash solution handy.

Thanks Rob, that's helpful. I've successfully used the airpowered spraygun
quite a few times for paint and preservatives, including a thick external
masonry paint. It seemed to be fairly resistant to blocking, just spat out
the odd lump of congealed gunk if I didn't get the dilution right. I
will certainly take precautions re safety & overspray, I don't wish to look
like a member of the Blue Man Group..... )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Justin Time

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels between 4"
posts, pretty conventional), but the Director of Works has recently
informed me that she wants it stained with one of these flashy new colour
treatments. So off we go to the local DIY shed, where many tubs of
'Ronseal Woodcare' are procured (in a very bold shade of blue, which I
fear we may come to regret, but my opinion is not needed for such
matters....).

Steve......
Now look what a bold shade of "BLUE" can do for your garden.

Steve T
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.thomas4/MyPond.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Steve Walker" contains these words:

bold shade of blue

You have my sympathy. Still, it's not as bad as painting the house blue
- always makes it look like a public toilet.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Justin Time wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels
between 4" posts, pretty conventional), but the Director of
Works has recently informed me that she wants it stained with
one of these flashy new colour treatments. So off we go to the
local DIY shed, where many tubs of 'Ronseal Woodcare' are
procured (in a very bold shade of blue, which I fear we may come
to regret, but my opinion is not needed for such matters....).

Steve......
Now look what a bold shade of "BLUE" can do for your garden.

Steve T
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.thomas4/MyPond.html

That's the same shade, I think - looks very striking around your pond (a
lovely piece of work by the way, and reminds me that I'm still owed another
pond by her indoors).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

FWIW I've just bought a load of "cuprinol rollable" and it's the dogs danglies.
it's water based but contains wax and it covers like no other stain I've ever
tried, especially the sprayable types which are invariably rubbish.

YMMWV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

.. wrote:

FWIW I've just bought a load of "cuprinol rollable" and it's the
dogs danglies. it's water based but contains wax and it covers
like no other stain I've ever tried, especially the sprayable
types which are invariably rubbish.

Thanks, dot. That's the other big reason for spraying, to be honest.
I've always found that it takes ages to deal with areas of thin or pale
coverage etc using brush application, whilst the sprayer can just keep
pouring on coat after coat until the wood is saturated.

If I could get myself organised, I'd ideally leave each panel soaking in a
polythene bath of treatment for 24hrs - not practical for this number of
panels unfortunately.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from "Justin Time" contains these words:

Now look what a bold shade of "BLUE" can do for your garden.

Aaaargh, run away! Looks like a seaside playground.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Rob" wrote in message

I used a few old spray bottles to put creosote over a fence a few years
ago, it saved a lot of time but don't go spraying if it's windy. You will
have neighbours coming to kill you.

And we would be well within our rights to do so.
Its nasty horrible stuff that doesn't do what it says on the can.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

dennis@home wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message

I used a few old spray bottles to put creosote over a fence a
few years ago, it saved a lot of time but don't go spraying if
it's windy. You will have neighbours coming to kill you.

And we would be well within our rights to do so.

I promise that not one drop will touch your house Dennis, but can we have
our lawnmower back please...? )

Its nasty horrible stuff that doesn't do what it says on the can.

You have disappointing personal experience of it's use? Do tell....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

Steve Walker wrote:
It's a water-based product and not Hazchem-marked for anything nasty,
but hidden away in the small print is the accursed phrase "not
suitable for spraying". This belated discovery buggers my plan to
treat about 25 6ft panels very quickly and easily, via a
high-pressure gun.

I tried spraying Cuprinol Garden Shades a few years ago and it was a
complete nightmare. Spluttered all over the place, uneven coating, blocked
nozzles every few mins. Called their tech line who said it had a latex
contenet which made it un sprayable. Gave up in the end.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Sun, 14 May 2006 17:28:56 +0100, "Steve Walker"
had this to say:

Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels between 4" posts,
pretty conventional), but the Director of Works has recently informed me
that she wants it stained with one of these flashy new colour treatments.

Is it still possible to get *original* green Cuprinol (copper
napthenate)?

My original source seems to have dried up...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "Steve Walker" contains these words:

bold shade of blue

You have my sympathy. Still, it's not as bad as painting the
house blue - always makes it look like a public toilet.

Indeed - Fortunately I gave up having any opinions (or self-respect) some
years ago..... )

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Steve Walker wrote:
. wrote:

FWIW I've just bought a load of "cuprinol rollable" and it's the
dogs danglies. it's water based but contains wax and it covers
like no other stain I've ever tried, especially the sprayable
types which are invariably rubbish.

Thanks, dot. That's the other big reason for spraying, to be honest.
I've always found that it takes ages to deal with areas of thin or
pale coverage etc using brush application, whilst the sprayer can
just keep pouring on coat after coat until the wood is saturated.

If I could get myself organised, I'd ideally leave each panel soaking
in a polythene bath of treatment for 24hrs - not practical for this
number of panels unfortunately.

seriously, try the cuprinol rollable. one of those 'does what it says on
the tin' type products. I saw a neighbour doing their fence and I was
so impressed with the finish I asked them for a product name.

recommended

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Justin Time wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels between 4"
posts, pretty conventional), but the Director of Works has recently
informed me that she wants it stained with one of these flashy new colour
treatments. So off we go to the local DIY shed, where many tubs of
'Ronseal Woodcare' are procured (in a very bold shade of blue, which I
fear we may come to regret, but my opinion is not needed for such
matters....).

Steve......
Now look what a bold shade of "BLUE" can do for your garden.

Steve T
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/steve.thomas4/MyPond.html

How very Titchmarsh of you :-)

Rikon 18" bandsaw fence Keith Woodworking 2 February 15th 06 08:28 PM
Which Fence rockfish Woodworking 10 February 2nd 06 04:46 PM
coping sled plans? bdeditch Woodworking 5 January 31st 06 03:55 PM
Jet TS fence query john moorhead Woodworking 8 November 15th 03 03:49 PM
Aligning a Vega utility 50 fence Alan W Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:21 PM