Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default Fence Treatment "Not Suitable For Spraying"....?

Steve Walker wrote:
Greetings -

Currently constructing a new fence (roughcut timber panels between 4"
posts, pretty conventional), but the Director of Works has recently
informed me that she wants it stained with one of these flashy new
colour treatments. So off we go to the local DIY shed, where many
tubs of 'Ronseal Woodcare' are procured (in a very bold shade of
blue, which I fear we may come to regret, but my opinion is not
needed for such matters....).

It's a water-based product and not Hazchem-marked for anything nasty,
but hidden away in the small print is the accursed phrase "not
suitable for spraying". This belated discovery buggers my plan to
treat about 25 6ft panels very quickly and easily, via a
high-pressure gun.

I've opened one of the tubs, and the consistency / viscosity appears
fine for spraying. I'm therefore at a loss to know what the problem
is, and I'm looking for encouragement to just ahead and do it anyway.
It's got to be worth trying a test on the back of a panel, messing
about with dilution etc. I wondered if they just wanted to avoid any
strongly coloured overspray problems, but maybe there's a more
serious pitfall I don't know about - eg it summons Satan and commands
him to kill the family dog....?

Anyone got any ideas or comments please?

FWIW I've just bought a load of "cuprinol rollable" and it's the dogs danglies.
it's water based but contains wax and it covers like no other stain I've ever
tried, especially the sprayable types which are invariably rubbish.

YMMWV