Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Plug in timer "not suitable for washing machines"?!

On Fri, 27 Nov 2015 18:41:15 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

" wrote in
:

Not sure why you'd put a washing machine on timer anyway, I just put
it on when I have a load of washing to do. Timers are for things
like lights or heaters.

If you were on an Economy 7 tariff you would think differently!

Most recent machines require mains supply to hold the settings until you
press the start button - or the onboard timer selects start. I guess the
timer manufacturer is warning of this likelyhood to avoid complaints.

I've a John Lewis own-brand (basically AEG) and if I put in all the
settings, including delay timer, then switch off at the socket it holds all
of the settings. If I use the switch on the machine the programme reverts to
Cotton 60.
I've never tried starting it first then switching off at the socket and back
on - must do so some time.
I still have a box with an electromechanical time and 13A socket that was
built for a GF's machine about 30-odd years ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away