Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default (Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 27/07/15 20:36, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on
non combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the
regulation?

I would not be surprised if they delayed the introduction of ammendment
again.

But you have a metalcald CU and already meet the new regs.

It's true - but I was wondering...

Actually I am now not so sure your CU would meet the 3rd amendment regs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/15 15:05, ARW wrote:

Actually I am now not so sure your CU would meet the 3rd amendment regs.

Why's that Adam?

It's not combustible. Granted it will not contain fire (large openings
in the rear, no itumescent seals) - but as far as I can follow from the
IET wibblings none of that is required.

It does not matter because my CU predates next Jan, but I am interested
in your theory as the sub-CU I will add later will need to comply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 01/08/15 15:05, ARW wrote:

Actually I am now not so sure your CU would meet the 3rd amendment regs.

Why's that Adam?

It's not combustible. Granted it will not contain fire (large openings in
the rear, no itumescent seals) - but as far as I can follow from the IET
wibblings none of that is required.

It does not matter because my CU predates next Jan, but I am interested in
your theory as the sub-CU I will add later will need to comply.

ISTR that your CU does not have a metal cover (hinged or other) over the
MCBs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/15 20:24, ARW wrote:

ISTR that your CU does not have a metal cover (hinged or other) over
the MCBs.

Sir, you may be thinking of another. Mine has a full sized cover made of
metal and hinged on one side, with a lock on the other.

Assuming I remember to put it back of course - it is on lift off hinges.

http://www.luckinslive.com/t/59ede8a...81240d9a8a.JPG

it's the 28 way version of that ^^
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 01/08/15 20:24, ARW wrote:

ISTR that your CU does not have a metal cover (hinged or other) over
the MCBs.

Sir, you may be thinking of another. Mine has a full sized cover made of
metal and hinged on one side, with a lock on the other.

Assuming I remember to put it back of course - it is on lift off hinges.

http://www.luckinslive.com/t/59ede8a...81240d9a8a.JPG

it's the 28 way version of that ^^

Sorry. I was thinking that you had the smoked plastic cover.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 2 August 2015 12:13:48 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Sorry. I was thinking that you had the smoked plastic cover.

smoked plastic is what we're trying to avoid :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Robin" writes:
No government department would get away with legislatuni which is so
vague and which AFAICS is backed up by no cost-benefit analysis. But in
privatised regulations the IET gets away with it.

16th Edition was the last one which wasn't sold out to commercial
interests. 17th Edition had swathes of the industry pushing to get
their own products made mandatory in it.

The non-combustible consumer units was pushed on to them by the Fire
Brigade organisation, having dealt with so many plastic CU fires, which
are doubly lethal as they are oftem positioned in the stairway escape
route, and with flammable products stored next to them. I always thought
plastic CU's (particularly the modern cheap thermosoftening plastic ones)
were a bad idea. I fitted commercial metal ones myself, even though more
expensive, but that's the sort of thing can can easily do if you DIY.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 7/26/2015 8:40 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

Another question it raises is the lack of mention of how "insulated" CUs
will be constructed for use with high Ze installations (e.g. most TT
installs)

Double insulated kits have been available for some metal CU's for years.
They basically provide an extra plastic layer to insulate the incomer
cables/connections through to the RCD.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nemo writes:

On 26/07/2015 20:40, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

As an aside, here's an extract from the justification for the new
requirement:
"The cause of the fires investigated was almost invariably found to be
resistance heating as a result of poor electrical connections due to
poor workmanship or lack of maintenance."

Seems to me it will take a lot of effort to put in place regs to ensure
that *all* parts of any electrical installation are proof against
incompetent installers.

My limited experience suggests that it may be worthwhile to
periodically check the tightness of *every* wiring connection in a
house. Haven't seen many examples of overheating, but have come across
quite a few connections which seemed to have become less than tight.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/08/15 22:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Double insulated kits have been available for some metal CU's for years.
They basically provide an extra plastic layer to insulate the incomer
cables/connections through to the RCD.

Technically the tails are already double insulated. So this would be
"triple insulation"?

But there would be something to be said for a plastic sub enclosure in
all CUs to fully separate the incomer from the final circuits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 20:40:37 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Is this an alternative means of meeting the requirement?

http://www.electrical-photos.com/dat...ical_funny.jpg

(from electrical contractor forums)

Owain

Tyvek flammable? Ba r r y Woodworking 34 November 26th 17 11:14 PM
Draft amendment to 17th ed. wiring regs (DPC BS 7671 Amd. 1) Andy Wade UK diy 7 June 24th 10 11:20 AM
cheapest non-flammable roofing David WE Roberts UK diy 22 November 13th 09 09:30 PM
OT crude oil flammable mm Home Repair 12 April 17th 09 12:38 PM
OT just a little - Flammable Storage Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 14th 05 10:57 PM