Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default (Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article ,
"Robin" writes:
No government department would get away with legislatuni which is so
vague and which AFAICS is backed up by no cost-benefit analysis. But in
privatised regulations the IET gets away with it.

16th Edition was the last one which wasn't sold out to commercial
interests. 17th Edition had swathes of the industry pushing to get
their own products made mandatory in it.

The non-combustible consumer units was pushed on to them by the Fire
Brigade organisation, having dealt with so many plastic CU fires, which
are doubly lethal as they are oftem positioned in the stairway escape
route, and with flammable products stored next to them. I always thought
plastic CU's (particularly the modern cheap thermosoftening plastic ones)
were a bad idea. I fitted commercial metal ones myself, even though more
expensive, but that's the sort of thing can can easily do if you DIY.

--
Andrew Gabriel