Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cheapest non-flammable roofing

Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

TIA

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov, 14:06, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

I'm doing a green roof, originally for much the same reason - a
workshop that forms the boundary wall. It also looks better,
encouraging harmony with both neighbours and SWMBO

"Non flammability" by definition in the building regs is unclear here,
but the tests in Germany found that 6" of wet mud is (unsurprisingly)
pretty good!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable
roofing.
As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the
boundary.
TIA

Dave R

If it has to be cheap then your first stop should be your local Freecycle.
There's quite often roofing materials given away there and you could always
request some. Tiles appear on ebay regularly too, just search locally.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 12 Nov, 14:06, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

I'm doing a green roof, originally for much the same reason - a
workshop that forms the boundary wall. It also looks better,
encouraging harmony with both neighbours and SWMBO

"Non flammability" by definition in the building regs is unclear here,
but the tests in Germany found that 6" of wet mud is (unsurprisingly)
pretty good!

What are you using as a base (and sides) for your 6" of mud?
I am a bit nervous about a 6" deep roof because by my reading of the various
edicts
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...noutbuildings/
the maximum external height of any part of the roof is 2.5m.

Is the roof sloping, or is drainage not a worry for a green roof?

If it is sloping, once you have allowed for the joists (presumably 150mm+),
roof base, and 6" (150mm) of mud then you are cutting back on the maximum
headroom at the lower end of the slope.

Then again, if you end up with 2m at the 'shallow end' I suppose this would
just be enough in shed terms.
Just seems a little bit tight.
I am aiming for maximum storage potential.

I am just doing the initial plans now and it looks like being (external
dimensions) 7.75m * 3.5m which is quite large, but not that much larger than
the garage and two sheds that it is replacing.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

Shed is 7.75m * 3.5m so the roof area should be around 28 sq metres.
In Marly Acme single camber clay tiles this equates to around 1500 tiles.
Prices for new tiles don't seem to be available online but used tiles are
coming up (in various far flung locations) at around 20p to 30p a tile.
This means that I am looking at £300 to £450 just for the tiles if I can
find the right quantity of used tiles.

This is pushing the price of the shed up a lot.
So I am looking for an alternative!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable
roofing.
As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the
boundary.

forget tiles - they will be far too costly by the time you've added on all
the extra timbers you will need.
I recently removed a cement fibre (fake asbestos) corrugated roof from a
concrete sectional garage and replaced it with corrugated galvanised steel
sheets, they were 3m long and covered 700mm in width, as they have to
overlap by 2 bumps.
They were about £25 each and we got them from a roofers merchant

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable
roofing.
As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the
boundary.

forget tiles - they will be far too costly by the time you've added on all
the extra timbers you will need.
I recently removed a cement fibre (fake asbestos) corrugated roof from a
concrete sectional garage and replaced it with corrugated galvanised steel
sheets, they were 3m long and covered 700mm in width, as they have to
overlap by 2 bumps.
They were about £25 each and we got them from a roofers merchant

Phil,

thanks for that - first piece of realisitic financial advice :-)

I have provisionally priced a corrugated metal roof at £150-£200 given the
large size of the shed based on some eBay prices. No guarantee I can get
similar prices locally though.

Given the sheets you used and a shed 7.75m wide I would not quite get away
with 11 sheets wide.
I would also need an extra 1/5th sheet for each run as the shed is to be
3.5m deep.
So we are provisionally looking at about 15 sheets or £375.

Tonight I have reached the 'buggerit' stage and am considering covering the
new shed with tarpaulin until I can recover the tiles from the roof of the
garage which is going to be knocked down once it has been emptied into the
shed.

The garage is 3m * 4.9m with a peaked roof so there should be nearly enough
tiles to do the new roof.
I would go out and measure but it is dark and not nice at the moment.
Also (I just checked) it is raining.
Manyana.

I was hoping to have a longer period before demolishing the garage but who
knows?

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that sounds
very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov, 15:10, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

"Non flammability" by definition in the building regs is unclear here,
but the tests in Germany found that 6" of wet mud is (unsurprisingly)
pretty good!

What are you using as a base (and sides) for your 6" of mud?

I'm saving much of this detail for a future web page.

the maximum external height of any part of the roof is 2.5m.

Yes! I'm squeaking just under that. As a redesign partway through (4"
joists moved from hangers to sitting on the wall) raised the height, I
did cut the soil thickness from 1 + 5" to 1+3" (1 inch Perlite
drainage layer, geotextile, then soil above).

Is the roof sloping, or is drainage not a worry for a green roof?

It can be either sloping or not. Mine is a brick higher in 8 feet,
just to avoid risk of ponding in the centre. There are drainage
provisions (which I'll be using tomorrow!) to deal with torrential
rain, but mostly it's designed so that there's enough soil to catch
and retain light or average rain and hold an inch of it indefinitely
in the root-free drainage layer.

Apex or even butterfly roofs are quite sensible for a green roof, as
you're usually dealing with a seamless membrane rather than a
constructed valley (I'm near Bristol, I know all about the horrors of
old butterflies!)

If it is sloping, once you have allowed for the joists (presumably 150mm+),
roof base, and 6" (150mm) of mud then you are cutting back on the maximum
headroom at the lower end of the slope.

You certainly have to do your sums. I'm 4" joists on 400mm centres, 2"
structure and 4" cover. Part of the reason for 4" joists was to gain
those extra 2", even though I could have spaced 6" at 600mm instead.
My width is on the margin where either would be reasonable and my sag
calculations were acceptable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

You could use composite steel roofing.

Not cheap but it is light, can be used at 15 deg. pitch. Meets the fire
regs. resists condensation and there is a choice of colours.

I have an idea you reside in my neck of the woods and I have some off
cuts if you wanted a sample.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?

You can get seconds of industrial square-bumpy insulated sheeting for
dirt cheap if you ask around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

I didn't realise you meant a pitched roof - we used these sheets on a 'flat'
roof, IE it slopes down about 8 inches over 6m from front to back.
If you want to save cash, this might be a better option than to have a
pitch - less timber and less likely to look hideous - I can't imagine galv
sheeting on a pitch roof will look too pleasant

I would go out and measure but it is dark and not nice at the moment.
Also (I just checked) it is raining.
Manyana.

I was hoping to have a longer period before demolishing the garage
but who knows?

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that
sounds very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

If you do decide to have a flat roof, OSB boards and torch-on mineral felt
are another possibility, more aesethetically pleasing and, providing there
is adequate fall, long lasting

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?

You can get seconds of industrial square-bumpy insulated sheeting for
dirt cheap if you ask around.

Note of caution....

My experience has been that the *fire rating* is withdrawn on seconds.

Commonly sold as agricultural roofing where the regulations may not
apply. Whether this is material manufactured before a change in the
rules or superficial damage breaches the regs. is beyond my knowledge.

Sealing the ridge adds a bit to the costs. Metre long foam seals are
available at 1 ukp ea. and you need a folded ridge to suit the pitch.
Attaching gutters can be interesting as, with such a shallow roof pitch,
the *drip* is normally 150mm. This puts the gutter well away from the
walls and conventional gutter board.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

couple of things :-)

My new roof is a single pitch 'almost flat' roof.
The garage roof is a peaked roof so although the garage is smaller the
greater roof area (due to the peak) means that there may be nearly enough
tiles to do the new roof.

OSB and torch-on felt does not meet the requirement for 'non-flammable'.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

You could use composite steel roofing.

Not cheap but it is light, can be used at 15 deg. pitch. Meets the fire
regs. resists condensation and there is a choice of colours.

I have an idea you reside in my neck of the woods and I have some off cuts
if you wanted a sample.

Thanks - I live in Felixstowe, Suffolk.

Although steel roofing is cheaper than tiles, I am currently considering a
temporary fix to allow me to reclaim the tiles from the old garage when it
is demolished.

Will let you know if I am veering back towards a metal roof :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?

You can get seconds of industrial square-bumpy insulated sheeting for
dirt cheap if you ask around.

How cheap is dirt, these days? ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Nov, 09:10, "David WE Roberts" wrote:

How cheap is dirt, these days? ;-)

Between £25 & £75 / m^3, last time I looked - but the 25 quid stuff
was mostly rubble & rubbish.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David WE Roberts
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ah. About 100 miles then:-) I used to spend my Summer holidays in the
corporation gardens there. I'm near St. Albans.

I guess re-using the tiles would be more attractive to planners and
neighbours. Although a shallow pitch might be sold as *blocking* less
light close to a boundary.

I have forgotten the dimensions you originally mentioned but the
agricultural barn I have just erected has 175mm x 75mm timber purlins
spanning 15'0 bays so you might escape needing an intermediate truss.
The sheets will easily span 4'6" so not many purlins needed. Have a look
at www.steadmans.co.uk AS35 composite sheeting for more detail.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

pricing up my ongoing shed project and I need some non-flammable roofing.

As far as I can see this is tiles or metal sheet.

Has anyone done recent research on the costs of materials?
I am looking for the cheapest way to roof the shed.
It has to be non-flammable as it is less than 1 metre from the boundary.

TIA

Dave R

Look for Box profile sheets ( maybe E bay or a farm store ) they cover a
metre and cost about £1-30 a foot and can be ordered in the length required

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 7:15*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
forget tiles - they will be far too costly by the time you've added on all
the extra timbers you will need.
I recently removed a cement fibre (fake asbestos) corrugated roof from a
concrete sectional garage and replaced it with corrugated galvanised steel
sheets, they were 3m long and covered 700mm in width, as they have to
overlap by 2 bumps.
They were about £25 each and we got them from a roofers merchant

thanks for that - first piece of realisitic financial advice :-)

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that sounds
very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

I love the green roof on my shed; it looks great from the upstairs
windows at the back. HOWEVER, I would never claim it was an economical
solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 12, 11:42*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
I didn't realise you meant a pitched roof - we used these sheets on a 'flat'
roof, IE it slopes down about 8 inches over 6m from front to back.
If you want to save cash, this might be a better option than to have a
pitch - less timber and less likely to look hideous - I can't imagine galv
sheeting on a pitch roof will look too pleasant

Depends on the environment. It looked alright on our coal shed in
rural West Suffolk. A coat of tar-varnish every couple of years, and
it just looked like all the other agricultural buildings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Bonner
wibbled on Friday 13 November 2009 13:14

I love the green roof on my shed; it looks great from the upstairs
windows at the back. HOWEVER, I would never claim it was an economical
solution.

I've been following this thread with interest.

How did you design yours? Is is a typical "standard" solution like those you
can find on the internet, or something different you created?

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "David WE Roberts"
saying something like:

You can get seconds of industrial square-bumpy insulated sheeting for
dirt cheap if you ask around.

How cheap is dirt, these days? ;-)

Between 10 and 20 quid a sheet, last time I looked. A mate bought some
for his barn and had a lorryload delivered. A mixture of full-sized,
about umm 15' long x 4 or 5' wide, and half-sized (8x5)(sizes vary
according to memory dredge). Most were insulated, too. Struck me at the
time it was a v. cheap way of putting a smaller shed up or simply
roofing an outhouse. The big difference between this stuff and ordinary
corrugated sheeting was the quality - a lot of normal corrugated is thin
cheap **** and this stuff was excellent, especially for the money paid.

Racking my brains, I think he bought it via a small ad, but it was from
some company that specialised in it, probably surplus from new-build
factories of perhaps demolitions. Certainly, the majority of the sheets
were in very good condition and many like new, just a bit of a ding here
and there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Lamb
saying something like:

The sheets will easily span 4'6" so not many purlins needed. Have a look
at www.steadmans.co.uk AS35 composite sheeting for more detail.

http://www.steadmans.co.uk/product/AS35/index.htm
That's the stuff I was on about up there ^^^^, indeed. Thinner
insulation on it, but it was a couple of years ago.

Tyvek flammable? Ba r r y Woodworking 34 November 26th 17 11:14 PM
OT crude oil flammable mm Home Repair 12 April 17th 09 12:38 PM
2W non-flammable Rs, mixed values suppler UK? N Cook Electronics Repair 2 January 26th 08 05:47 PM
suitable sticky flammable fluids? williamhenry Metalworking 26 September 21st 05 07:12 PM
OT just a little - Flammable Storage Cabinets [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 14th 05 10:57 PM