Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts David WE Roberts is offline

Default cheapest non-flammable roofing

"Phil L" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

Phil,

thanks for that - first piece of realisitic financial advice :-)

I have provisionally priced a corrugated metal roof at £150-£200
given the large size of the shed based on some eBay prices. No
guarantee I can get similar prices locally though.

Given the sheets you used and a shed 7.75m wide I would not quite get
away with 11 sheets wide.
I would also need an extra 1/5th sheet for each run as the shed is to
be 3.5m deep.
So we are provisionally looking at about 15 sheets or £375.

Tonight I have reached the 'buggerit' stage and am considering
covering the new shed with tarpaulin until I can recover the tiles
from the roof of the garage which is going to be knocked down once it
has been emptied into the shed.

The garage is 3m * 4.9m with a peaked roof so there should be nearly
enough tiles to do the new roof.

I didn't realise you meant a pitched roof - we used these sheets on a
'flat' roof, IE it slopes down about 8 inches over 6m from front to back.
If you want to save cash, this might be a better option than to have a
pitch - less timber and less likely to look hideous - I can't imagine galv
sheeting on a pitch roof will look too pleasant

I would go out and measure but it is dark and not nice at the moment.
Also (I just checked) it is raining.
Manyana.

I was hoping to have a longer period before demolishing the garage
but who knows?

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that
sounds very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

If you do decide to have a flat roof, OSB boards and torch-on mineral felt
are another possibility, more aesethetically pleasing and, providing there
is adequate fall, long lasting

Phil,

couple of things :-)

My new roof is a single pitch 'almost flat' roof.
The garage roof is a peaked roof so although the garage is smaller the
greater roof area (due to the peak) means that there may be nearly enough
tiles to do the new roof.

OSB and torch-on felt does not meet the requirement for 'non-flammable'.

Cheers

Dave R