Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L[_2_] Phil L[_2_] is offline

Default cheapest non-flammable roofing

David WE Roberts wrote:

Phil,

thanks for that - first piece of realisitic financial advice :-)

I have provisionally priced a corrugated metal roof at £150-£200
given the large size of the shed based on some eBay prices. No
guarantee I can get similar prices locally though.

Given the sheets you used and a shed 7.75m wide I would not quite get
away with 11 sheets wide.
I would also need an extra 1/5th sheet for each run as the shed is to
be 3.5m deep.
So we are provisionally looking at about 15 sheets or £375.

Tonight I have reached the 'buggerit' stage and am considering
covering the new shed with tarpaulin until I can recover the tiles
from the roof of the garage which is going to be knocked down once it
has been emptied into the shed.

The garage is 3m * 4.9m with a peaked roof so there should be nearly
enough tiles to do the new roof.

I didn't realise you meant a pitched roof - we used these sheets on a 'flat'
roof, IE it slopes down about 8 inches over 6m from front to back.
If you want to save cash, this might be a better option than to have a
pitch - less timber and less likely to look hideous - I can't imagine galv
sheeting on a pitch roof will look too pleasant

I would go out and measure but it is dark and not nice at the moment.
Also (I just checked) it is raining.
Manyana.

I was hoping to have a longer period before demolishing the garage
but who knows?

Also waiting for more details of Andy Dingley's green roof as that
sounds very interesting (although my lawn mower is a bit heavy...).

If you do decide to have a flat roof, OSB boards and torch-on mineral felt
are another possibility, more aesethetically pleasing and, providing there
is adequate fall, long lasting

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008