DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   (Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/381580-adam-iet-17th-amendment-3-jan-2016-non-flammable-cus.html)

Tim Watts[_3_] July 26th 15 08:40 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

Nemo July 26th 15 09:24 PM

On 26/07/2015 20:40, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

As an aside, here's an extract from the justification for the new
requirement:
"The cause of the fires investigated was almost invariably found to be
resistance heating as a result of poor electrical connections due to
poor workmanship or lack of maintenance."

Seems to me it will take a lot of effort to put in place regs to ensure
that *all* parts of any electrical installation are proof against
incompetent installers.

Brian-Gaff July 26th 15 10:33 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

I often wonder while they are busy trying to stop every conceivable
possibility of fire in one place, where 20 other places are waiting to bite
us in the bottom so to speak.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Robin July 27th 15 07:35 AM

Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on
non combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the
regulation?

I thought the reg. actually requires "non-combustible" material for the
CU or enclosure.

Wiring Matters had:

"There is no published definition for the term 'non combustible' that
aligns with the intent of Regulation 421.1.201. However, as stated in
Note 1 to the regulation, ferrous metal, such as steel, is deemed to be
an example of a non-combustible material.
Steel will no doubt be the material usually employed in the manufacture
of the enclosure or cabinet. Nevertheless, it will be open to
manufacturers to offer enclosures or cabinets made from other types of
material that they claim to be non combustible within the intent of
Regulation 421.1.201. In this case, however, the manufacturer would
have to provide suitable evidence to support the claim of non
combustibility, and it is not presently clear what criteria would be
used to judge the non combustibility of a material other than
non-ferrous metal."

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

No government department would get away with legislatuni which is so
vague and which AFAICS is backed up by no cost-benefit analysis. But in
privatised regulations the IET gets away with it.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Tim Watts[_3_] July 27th 15 07:43 AM

On 26/07/15 21:24, nemo wrote:
On 26/07/2015 20:40, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

As an aside, here's an extract from the justification for the new
requirement:
"The cause of the fires investigated was almost invariably found to be
resistance heating as a result of poor electrical connections due to
poor workmanship or lack of maintenance."

Seems to me it will take a lot of effort to put in place regs to ensure
that *all* parts of any electrical installation are proof against
incompetent installers.

It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

There is talk of dissimilar metals (creep), cage terminals that cannot
clamp particularly well[1] onto large conductors, and other generally
****e construction.

[1] Hager use cage terminals - I have not had a problem with these. But
some cage terminals are not foolproof and mean you can easily get the
busbar prong the wrong side of the clamp.

So to my mind, the IET have done a knee jerk and solved the wrong
problem - the damn things should not be getting hot, let along catching
fire in the first place.

harry July 27th 15 08:24 AM

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 20:40:37 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

In days of yore, CUs were made of bakelite (or steel) which is non-flammable.
I was surprised when all this modern crap came out made of thermo-plastics.
Someone else has mentioned twin screw terminals which is exactly right.
Back then, fires in CUs were virtually unknown.

Stuff like cooker control units had double screws too.
Never came loose.

These Wago connectors are ****e too.
They will cause trouble too.

Dave Plowman (News) July 27th 15 11:13 AM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

--
*Funny, I don't remember being absent minded.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dennis@home July 27th 15 12:41 PM

Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

Then they should be using torx screws as they are far more positive than
pozidrive.

Dave Plowman (News) July 27th 15 01:39 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

Then they should be using torx screws as they are far more positive than
pozidrive.

Don't do much in the way of DIY, dennis?

Much easier to locate a PZ in the head than a Torx.

--
*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Tim Watts[_3_] July 27th 15 02:21 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

Don't do much in the way of DIY, dennis?

Much easier to locate a PZ in the head than a Torx.

Trouble with Pozi is of course, if the head ges damaged it just gets
worse. I would rather have slotted in a CU - they are down a tube anyway
so locating the screwdriver is easy enough.

John Rumm July 27th 15 03:39 PM

On 7/26/2015 8:40 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

Another question it raises is the lack of mention of how "insulated" CUs
will be constructed for use with high Ze installations (e.g. most TT
installs)

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm July 27th 15 03:41 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

On 7/27/2015 11:13 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

+1 - you can get massive torque on a well fitted posi screw - but not if
using a philips driver.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News) July 27th 15 04:32 PM

Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main
earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

+1 - you can get massive torque on a well fitted posi screw - but not if
using a philips driver.

Yup. PZ is probably the most common head by far in the UK, but you'll find
lots of Phillips screwdrivers on sale in the sheds. But try buying true
Phillips screws. ;-)

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Charles Hope July 27th 15 04:41 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

which might be why I saw pozidrivers with integral torque adjustment at the
Tool Fair last year

Robin July 27th 15 04:42 PM

John Rumm wrote:

Another question it raises is the lack of mention of how "insulated"
CUs will be constructed for use with high Ze installations (e.g. most
TT installs)

Phenolic resin?

ducks_and_runs

Dave Plowman (News) July 27th 15 06:05 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like
main earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not
posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the
correct screwdriver.

which might be why I saw pozidrivers with integral torque adjustment at
the Tool Fair last year

Odd I'm just a simple DIYer, but manage to tighten terminal screws so they
neither break or come loose.

Torque screwdrivers presumably aimed at Adam's apprentices?

--
*What are the pink bits in my tyres? Cyclists & Joggers*

Capitol July 27th 15 07:20 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In traweb.com,
lid wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap compared
to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

Then they should be using torx screws as they are far more positive than
pozidrive.

Don't do much in the way of DIY, dennis?

Much easier to locate a PZ in the head than a Torx.

Your incompenence astounds me continuously. Torx gives much better
control wwhen clamping wires.

Tim Watts[_3_] July 27th 15 07:26 PM

On 27/07/15 15:39, John Rumm wrote:
On 7/26/2015 8:40 PM, Tim Watts wrote:
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

Another question it raises is the lack of mention of how "insulated" CUs
will be constructed for use with high Ze installations (e.g. most TT
installs)

And even if you put the RCCB in a separate enclosure, technically this
rule applies to that as well!

Dennis@home July 27th 15 07:34 PM

Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main
earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

+1 - you can get massive torque on a well fitted posi screw - but not if
using a philips driver.

Yup. PZ is probably the most common head by far in the UK, but you'll find
lots of Phillips screwdrivers on sale in the sheds. But try buying true
Phillips screws. ;-)

Just buy plasterboard screws, they are phillips and designed to cam out.

ARW July 27th 15 08:30 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Charles Hope wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like
main earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not
posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the
correct screwdriver.

which might be why I saw pozidrivers with integral torque adjustment at
the Tool Fair last year

Odd I'm just a simple DIYer, but manage to tighten terminal screws so they
neither break or come loose.

Torque screwdrivers presumably aimed at Adam's apprentices?

Torque screwdrivers are "pushed" for by the industry.

And I am sure one day you will have to fill in the torque settings on an
installation certificate.
--
Adam

ARW July 27th 15 08:36 PM

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

I would not be surprised if they delayed the introduction of ammendment
again.

But you have a metalcald CU and already meet the new regs.

--
Adam

Tim Watts[_3_] July 27th 15 10:14 PM

On 27/07/15 20:36, ARW wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...nits/index.cfm

outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on
non combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

Have the NICEIC (or anyone else) offered guidelines on what a non
flammable enclosure means?

eg would use of Euroclass B/C fire resistant plywood meet the regulation?

I would not be surprised if they delayed the introduction of ammendment
again.

But you have a metalcald CU and already meet the new regs.

It's true - but I was wondering...

I will be adding a second CU once the main jobs are done from a 40A
distribution circuit for a few low power outside circuits (non of which
will add up to much, but desirable to split between 2 RCDs and have the
ability to isolate any one). And not crowd the main CU with random crap
of low importance. My current CU (Hager JK Type A) is going obsolete, so
I was considering the options...

Tim Watts[_3_] July 27th 15 10:17 PM

On 27/07/15 20:30, ARW wrote:

And I am sure one day you will have to fill in the torque settings on an
installation certificate.

4 tick boxes?

[ ] The wire fell out

[ ] The wire did not fall out

[ ] Some proper welly

[ ] I snapped the head off...

[email protected] July 27th 15 11:31 PM

On Monday, 27 July 2015 20:31:00 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
And I am sure one day you will have to fill in the torque settings on an
installation certificate.

And supply a calibration certificate for the torque driver.

Owain

Dave Liquorice[_2_] July 28th 15 01:41 AM

On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 07:43:31 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

So to my mind, the IET have done a knee jerk and solved the wrong
problem - the damn things should not be getting hot, let along catching
fire in the first place.

+1

Poacher and game keeper to some extent.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns[_9_] July 28th 15 05:52 AM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

If you go over to the IET forums, many people want to
see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main earthing blocks) -
with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

Don't a lot of CUs use combination slot/cross screws anyway?

Seems a bit odd that presumably the CU manufacturers first introduced
them to allow using either a flat driver or Pozi driver, and then the
tool manufacturers introduce a dedicated "PlusMinus" driver

Andy Burns[_9_] July 28th 15 05:57 AM

Andy Burns wrote:

Seems a bit odd that presumably the CU manufacturers first introduced
them to allow using either a flat driver or Pozi driver, and then the
tool manufacturers introduce a dedicated "PlusMinus" driver

Sorry hit send while trying to find a better photo than Wera's own

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th/id=OIP.M6dff3f723b20f876650a94678dd78bd0o0&pid=15. 1

Dave Liquorice[_2_] July 28th 15 08:59 AM

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 05:57:32 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Seems a bit odd that presumably the CU manufacturers first

introduced
them to allow using either a flat driver or Pozi driver, and then

the
tool manufacturers introduce a dedicated "PlusMinus" driver

So such a tool *is* out there. Use the a flat driver in a +/- head
and it suffers the problems of slotted heads. Use a pozi and it's not
quite as good as a pure
pozi.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th/id=OIP.M6d...4678dd78bd0o0&
pid=15.1

Waiting for ts1.mm.bing.net ... blank page Well not quite jpeg 1x1
pixels.

--
Cheers
Dave.

[email protected] July 28th 15 10:49 AM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

On Sunday, 26 July 2015 20:40:37 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
outlines new requirements from Jan 2016 for either using CUs made on non
combustible material or enclosing in a "non flammable" enclosure.

How can a British Standard require a 'non flammable' enclosure without defining what that is, either in the Definitions section or by reference to an applicable British Standard?

Anyway, I thought all terminals already had to be in a non-combustible enclosure so any existing combustible CUs (since about 1970something probably) were already unfit for purpose at the time of sale.

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) July 28th 15 12:52 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article ,
Capitol wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In traweb.com,
lid wrote:
In ,
Tim wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like
main earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not
posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the
correct screwdriver.

Then they should be using torx screws as they are far more positive
than pozidrive.

Don't do much in the way of DIY, dennis?

Much easier to locate a PZ in the head than a Torx.

Your incompenence astounds me continuously. Torx gives much better
control wwhen clamping wires.

Another who doesn't do much DIY, but just talks about it.

There is no need for Torx for things like a terminal screw - and makes the
head considerably larger than needed which can matter with such things. PZ
is an excellent compromise.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman (News) July 28th 15 12:58 PM

ARW wrote:
Torque screwdrivers are "pushed" for by the industry.

And I am sure one day you will have to fill in the torque settings on an
installation certificate.

I've got nothing like your experience, but have repaired quite a few
installations for others where the problem was inadequately tightened
terminal screws. And done buy a pro - or at least one who claimed to be.
So it could be some just don't know how to tighten a screw for whatever
reason.

Trouble with any torque setting device is it needs to be correct for the
particular application, and checked for calibration frequently. And
there's nothing to stop a charlatan using one but not doing things up
tight enough.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

John Rumm July 28th 15 02:53 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

On 7/27/2015 7:34 PM, dennis@home wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
It's not just that - many modern CU components are utter crap
compared to the old stuff. If you go over to the IET forums, many
people want to see proper twin screw brass terminals back (like main
earthing blocks) - with screws you can actually do up (not posidrive).

Pozidriv with the correct screwdriver allows a screw to be tightened
correctly far more easily than a slot type. But not without the correct
screwdriver.

+1 - you can get massive torque on a well fitted posi screw - but not if
using a philips driver.

Yup. PZ is probably the most common head by far in the UK, but you'll
find
lots of Phillips screwdrivers on sale in the sheds. But try buying true
Phillips screws. ;-)

Just buy plasterboard screws, they are phillips and designed to cam out.

and decking screws...

--
Cheers,

John.

Dennis@home July 28th 15 03:57 PM

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Are you sure, all the decking screws I have seen recently are pozi or
torx if I buy them.

Dave Plowman (News) July 28th 15 04:21 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In article om,
dennis@home wrote:
Just buy plasterboard screws, they are phillips and designed to cam out.

and decking screws...

Are you sure, all the decking screws I have seen recently are pozi or
torx if I buy them.

Plasterboard screws I've got here don't seem to cam out when using a PZ
bit - which seems a perfect fit. Just set the max torque on the driver.

Perhaps they would with a Phillips bit.

--
*Born free...Taxed to death.

Tim Watts[_3_] July 28th 15 06:17 PM

ARW wrote:
Torque screwdrivers are "pushed" for by the industry.

And I am sure one day you will have to fill in the torque settings on an
installation certificate.

I've got nothing like your experience, but have repaired quite a few
installations for others where the problem was inadequately tightened
terminal screws. And done buy a pro - or at least one who claimed to be.
So it could be some just don't know how to tighten a screw for whatever
reason.

Trouble with any torque setting device is it needs to be correct for the
particular application, and checked for calibration frequently. And
there's nothing to stop a charlatan using one but not doing things up
tight enough.

Or the conductor settled after they left - particularly if there are 2-3
in the terminal (eg ring with spur) or stranded heavy cables.

One of the advantages of DIY of course is one lifts the lid a week or
two later and tweaks everything up.

Andy Burns[_9_] July 28th 15 08:31 PM

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Plasterboard screws I've got here don't seem to cam out when using a PZ
bit - which seems a perfect fit.

They're designed for Phillips #2, these work nicely, I prefer to set the
torque so it doesn't start to bite the paper, then /just/ sink them by hand.

ARW July 28th 15 08:41 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Trouble with any torque setting device is it needs to be correct for the
particular application, and checked for calibration frequently. And
there's nothing to stop a charlatan using one but not doing things up
tight enough.

The whole set up would be reliable as the emmisions test during MOT time at
a mates garage.

--
Adam

Chris French July 28th 15 08:54 PM

(Adam?) IET 17th Amendment 3 Jan 2016 - Non flammable CUs

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Plasterboard screws I've got here don't seem to cam out when using a PZ
bit - which seems a perfect fit.

They're designed for Phillips #2, these work nicely, I prefer to set
the torque so it doesn't start to bite the paper, then /just/ sink them
by hand.

I prefer to use the plasterboard screw bits which have a kind of metal
collar with the end of the bit just protruding. Stops the screw going in
to far.

e.g.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/phillips-2...-pack-of-5/750
85

--
Chris French

Andy Burns[_9_] July 28th 15 09:17 PM

Chris French wrote:

I prefer to use the plasterboard screw bits

http://screwfix.com/p/drywall-bits/75085

I *intended* to include a link to those very bits ...

Chris French July 28th 15 10:12 PM

Chris French wrote:

I prefer to use the plasterboard screw bits

http://screwfix.com/p/drywall-bits/75085

I *intended* to include a link to those very bits ...

:-)

I find just letting the driver just drive them in. It probably knackers
the bits quicker, as sometimes it cams out. But I usually lose them
first anyway....
--
Chris French