Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Next door water noises

I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Thanks

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AnthonyL
writes
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

IME (we have two mains incomers, separated by maybe10-15 m of
underground pipe). We get noise in the pipe of one, when the is draw on
the other one (but not the other way round)

If it coming through the pipe it's more a hissing/water in pipes kind of
noise as opposed to actually hearing water trickling if you are hearing
the sound directly.

If is a tricking/running water sound it is maybe coiming through the
rood space - or some sort of gap in the wall?
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2015 10:23:28 +0100, EricP
wrote:

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Ask your neighbour if they mind you fitting a low noise filling device
to their attic tank such as
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/our-products/pro-series/pro-side-entry-fill-valve-with-heavy-duty-brass-shank.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2015 10:23:28 +0100, EricP
wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2015 09:00:18 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Thanks

The sound is probably going straight up through their ceiling,
reflecting off the roof and down into your bedroom. Made worse by the
night quiet.

Is there a solid dividing wall in the roof space, or is it open as was
popular at the time of building?

(Assuming all are on the upper floor)

The roof space (tiles) was open but the last owner got it bricked up
though I wouldn't say to sound proofing standards. Both bathrooms are
upstairs though mine is on the outer wall and hers is on the inner
wall adjacent to the spare bedroom.

I'm not too sure of their exact plumbing - I know the last neighbour
put in a header tank for the shower, mine is mains fed, but there has
always been some noise even before that which I'm fairly sure arises
after the toilet has been flushed.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Ask your neighbour if they mind you fitting a low noise filling device
to their attic tank such as
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/our-products/pro-series/pro-side-entry-fill-valve-with-heavy-duty-brass-shank.html

I'm fairly sure the noise is associated with the mains fed toilet
cistern in the upstairs bathroom so I don't think the attic comes into
it. Does this device just fit at the inlet and not play any part in
the cistern action?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2015 10:52:49 +0100, Chris French
wrote:

In message , AnthonyL
writes
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

IME (we have two mains incomers, separated by maybe10-15 m of
underground pipe). We get noise in the pipe of one, when the is draw on
the other one (but not the other way round)

If it coming through the pipe it's more a hissing/water in pipes kind of
noise as opposed to actually hearing water trickling if you are hearing
the sound directly.

It's a hissing/white noise type of thing we seems to slowly taper off
in the time scale that one expects a toilet cistern to fill.

It feels as if the sound is being carried through our own water pipes.
I don't know if our sounds are reciprocated and unfortunately I don't
get on with said neighbour (f) who seems to attract men friends who
need the loo half the night.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 10:00:20 AM UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

If it were me I would spend some time trying to hear where the sound is coming from. Does it come though the wall (perhaps from pipes that are clamped to the wall) or does it come in with the water supply to the OP's house.. During the day it will be hard to hear it so you'll need to get up at night when someone has flushed the loo next door.

presumably it has always done this, it's just that now it is annoying because it happens at night.

if it is turbulence noise that is being conducted through all the pipework you might able to fix it with one of those tiny accumulators designed to stop waterhammer. They are easy to fit - you'd put it on theincoming water main.

If the sound is conducted through the bathroom wall you could add a sound proof that wall (by adding a stud wall next to, but not touching, the party wall.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think yourself lucky it is not plop plop noises from the bathroom ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2015 05:11:11 -0700 (PDT), RobertL
wrote:

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 10:00:20 AM UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.
=20
The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.
=20
Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

=20

If it were me I would spend some time trying to hear where the sound is com=
ing from. Does it come though the wall (perhaps from pipes that are clamp=
ed to the wall) or does it come in with the water supply to the OP's house=
. During the day it will be hard to hear it so you'll need to get up at n=
ight when someone has flushed the loo next door.

I've tried - it is very indeterminable. We only have a two up two
down + upstairs bathroom and when it is quiet the noise can be heard
from any room.

presumably it has always done this, it's just that now it is annoying becau=
se it happens at night.

I think it got worse when the last neighbour replaced their old
clogged up mains inlet tap.

if it is turbulence noise that is being conducted through all the pipework =
you might able to fix it with one of those tiny accumulators designed to st=
op waterhammer. They are easy to fit - you'd put it on theincoming water m=
ain.

I just would have expected to be more conscious of kitchen
taps/washing machine noises if that was the case. (ah there it goes
just as I write - and I'm downstairs ~ 90secs).

If the sound is conducted through the bathroom wall you could add a sound p=
roof that wall (by adding a stud wall next to, but not touching, the party =
wall.

The rooms are small enough as it is.

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 14/05/15 10:00, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

I have similar. I believe the neighbouring bathroom is next to the party
wall and the pipes attached to that wall. Probably more noticeable at
2am because there is less background noise and also higher water
pressure as less is being used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does the toilet fill from the loft tank or from mains water?
I know mine is fed from the loft, and has the wrong size valve hole so it
trickles for about a quarter of an hour and sounds just like some kind of
babbling brook. I know fit the correct valve...
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

wrote:

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Ask your neighbour if they mind you fitting a low noise filling device
to their attic tank such as
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/our-products/pro-series/pro-side-entry-fill-valve-with-heavy-duty-brass-shank.html

I'm fairly sure the noise is associated with the mains fed toilet
cistern in the upstairs bathroom so I don't think the attic comes into
it. Does this device just fit at the inlet and not play any part in
the cistern action?

--
AnthonyL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote in :

On 14/05/15 10:00, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

I have similar. I believe the neighbouring bathroom is next to the party
wall and the pipes attached to that wall. Probably more noticeable at
2am because there is less background noise and also higher water
pressure as less is being used.

I have a very noisy toilet since I fitted a Isolation Valve. I guess I
should have bought a full-bore one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL explained on 14/05/2015 :
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Thanks

A stick, rod, long screwdriver or similar, pushed against your ear and
the cold water pipe, would let you know if the pipe were generating the
noise.

Listening in your loft space would tell you if it were the splashing
from the tank itself, you could hear. If it is, you could maybe ask
your neighbour to fit a contraption to silence the filling splash.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You say it got worse when they replaced the mains inlet tap. Is
this indoor or outdoor?

If the previous valve was throttling the flow, then the
replacement may well have a clearer bore or have been opened more
fully. This would give rise to more pipe noise due to water
velocity.

If the valve replaced was outdoor, then wait till they go out and
turn it down! Close it completely counting the number of turns ,
then open to maybe 2\3 of previous. Gradually turn down till
noise is acceptable so they don't notice sudden changes. If they
do notice, claim you've had similar problem and blame
kids!

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

tracking down noises Brian Gaff UK diy 26 January 3rd 14 08:06 PM
Maytag Series Nine Gas Water Heater Loud Noises When Heating TomAZ Home Repair 5 August 15th 10 10:49 PM
water supply line for in door fridge water...... scale Home Repair 4 November 4th 05 01:53 AM
REFRIGERATOR NOISES Home Repair 4 September 30th 04 11:34 PM
cistern noises Mart.C. UK diy 5 September 2nd 03 12:10 AM