Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Next door water noises

AnthonyL explained on 14/05/2015 :
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

Thanks

A stick, rod, long screwdriver or similar, pushed against your ear and
the cold water pipe, would let you know if the pipe were generating the
noise.

Listening in your loft space would tell you if it were the splashing
from the tank itself, you could hear. If it is, you could maybe ask
your neighbour to fit a contraption to silence the filling splash.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)