Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Next door water noises

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 10:00:20 AM UTC+1, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm in an old (1860) semi-detached cottage and hear when the neighbour
has water running in the bathroom - I think it is when the cistern is
refilling. It is quite annoying at 2am.

The water pipe from the mains is shared but I'm not conscious of
similar sounds during the day when I guess the kitchen taps must be in
use.

Anything to be done? Is it likely that I'm hearing the sound direct
or through our water pipes? How do I ascertain?

If it were me I would spend some time trying to hear where the sound is coming from. Does it come though the wall (perhaps from pipes that are clamped to the wall) or does it come in with the water supply to the OP's house.. During the day it will be hard to hear it so you'll need to get up at night when someone has flushed the loo next door.

presumably it has always done this, it's just that now it is annoying because it happens at night.

if it is turbulence noise that is being conducted through all the pipework you might able to fix it with one of those tiny accumulators designed to stop waterhammer. They are easy to fit - you'd put it on theincoming water main.

If the sound is conducted through the bathroom wall you could add a sound proof that wall (by adding a stud wall next to, but not touching, the party wall.

Robert