Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag Series Nine Gas Water Heater Loud Noises When Heating

I got a new Maytag 40 gallon water heater (HRN4940TN) about 2.5 years
ago. At about the two year mark it started making loud metallic
clanking sounds when heating. Called maytag and played the noises
over the phone and they had no idea. Went to store where I bought it
and they suggested that I had sediment and needed to flush it (which I
did but with no results). Called a plumber who charged me to tell me
that it didn't have sediment and that there was nothing he could do,
claiming that there was a metal rod that ran the length of the heater
that was making the noise. He also said that it wasn't going bad and
that the noise could be ignored. Easy for him to say since he doesn't
listen to it every day. Any ideas? Did I just get a turkey? It
doesn't strike me as a very long lifespan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2010 3:27 PM, TomAZ wrote:
I got a new Maytag 40 gallon water heater (HRN4940TN) about 2.5 years
ago. At about the two year mark it started making loud metallic
clanking sounds when heating. Called maytag and played the noises
over the phone and they had no idea. Went to store where I bought it
and they suggested that I had sediment and needed to flush it (which I
did but with no results). Called a plumber who charged me to tell me
that it didn't have sediment and that there was nothing he could do,
claiming that there was a metal rod that ran the length of the heater
that was making the noise. He also said that it wasn't going bad and
that the noise could be ignored. Easy for him to say since he doesn't
listen to it every day. Any ideas? Did I just get a turkey? It
doesn't strike me as a very long lifespan.

That's supposed to be a self cleaning water heater. I wonder if the
noise could have something to do with the baffle that hangs down
through the center of the heater. The next time you hear the noise,
try jiggling the baffle with a screwdriver so as not to burn your
hand or try to reposition the baffle when the burner is off.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 1:27*pm, TomAZ wrote:
I got a new Maytag 40 gallon water heater (HRN4940TN) about 2.5 years
ago. *At about the two year mark it started making loud metallic
clanking sounds when heating. * Called maytag and played the noises
over the phone and they had no idea. *Went to store where I bought it
and they suggested that I had sediment and needed to flush it (which I
did but with no results). *Called a plumber who charged me to tell me
that it didn't have sediment and that there was nothing he could do,
claiming that there was a metal rod that ran the length of the heater
that was making the noise. * He also said that it wasn't going bad and
that the noise could be ignored. *Easy for him to say since he doesn't
listen to it every day. * *Any ideas? *Did I just get a turkey? *It
doesn't strike me as a very long lifespan. *

It's either your or dip tube or anode that's broken inside the tank.
Find out if it's under warranty.

http://www.mrrooteronline.com/plumbe...terHeaters.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 13:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:27*pm, TomAZ wrote:
[...]

Thanks for responding. No, this heater only had a 1 year warranty. I
investigated everything except length of warranty, not a good idea.
If I understood plumber correctly, he was saying the noise was coming
from what the other poster described as "baffle" runniing down center
of heater (shown but not labeled in picture on the right in your
link).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:56:20 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for reply. If I understand what the baffle is, I don't see how
it can be "jiggled." Seems to be tight as a tick . But that sounds
like what the noise is coming from. Definitely internal, not part of
vent or plumbing or anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, the baffle is usually a twisted piece of metal that makes the hot
flue gases swirl around so more heat can be extracted. Most of them I've
seen can be slid out through the top of the water heater. If yours is
tight, it could be that heat is causing the metal to expand and make
noise. If you can lift the vent off the top of the water heater, you
should be able to move the baffle. Perhaps a little mechanical
persuasion with a hammer and pry bar will loosen it up. I wonder if soot
buildup of some kind may have glued it in place and not allowed it to
expand properly?

TDD

Thinking out loud (Water heater pan installation) Slightly Graying Wolf Home Repair 6 June 17th 08 05:40 PM
Loud Plumbing Noises Peep Home Repair 4 December 6th 06 02:58 AM
Water heater making a loud bang Seb Home Repair 8 May 31st 06 12:12 AM
Water heater making a loud bang Seb Home Repair 3 May 12th 06 07:26 PM
water heater - 2 in a series Martino Home Repair 8 February 2nd 06 07:07 PM