Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I thought this was a DIY site

"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 30/03/2015 16:18, TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

DIY redundancy.

You could be right.
There was some comment fron B&Q that DIYers are getting less & hence they
were changing over to "trade"
And also bought up "Screwfix".

Must be all the "single parent families".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/15 16:50, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 30/03/2015 16:18, TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

DIY redundancy.

Well, Clarkson did allegedly DIY rather than sub contracting to some
east end boys...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

---

Almost nothing. Most on here are too old/frail to do any diy nowadays,
but many do have experience to pass on. Clarkson lets them pass their
hours away with inconsequential gossiping, rather than the strain of
exercising the few brain cells they have left, which might bring on
their demise! Yes, I still do diy, but rather more slowly than in the
past. Currently have a new pigeon proof(I hope) aerial under
construction, redecorating, plumbing and have a mechanical lifting
system partly constructed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar 2015, TomSawer grunted:

You were wrong, it's not a site.

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.
What has this got to do with DIY topics?

---

And nor was that an email.

--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:12:35 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 30 Mar 2015, TomSawer grunted:

You were wrong, it's not a site.

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.
What has this got to do with DIY topics?

---

And nor was that an email.

What do you expect from Avast? I was given a laptop with Avast (up to date) running on it. I took off Avast, installed AVG, and allowed it to remove FORTY TWO DIFFERENT viruses. The laptop then ran 10 times the original speed.

--
I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/15 16:58, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/03/15 16:50, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 30/03/2015 16:18, TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

DIY redundancy.

Well, Clarkson did allegedly DIY rather than sub contracting to some
east end boys...

This NG is really more 'men in sheds'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:42:21 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

On 30 Mar 2015, TomSawer grunted:

You were wrong, it's not a site.

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.
What has this got to do with DIY topics?

And nor was that an email.

What do you expect from Avast? I was given a laptop with Avast (up to date)
running on it. I took off Avast, installed AVG, and allowed it to remove
FORTY TWO DIFFERENT viruses. The laptop then ran 10 times the original speed.

What is a virus and for what reason should I have one on my computer?

Is that some kind of a flimsy joke?

--
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/03/15 16:58, Tim Watts wrote:
On 30/03/15 16:50, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 30/03/2015 16:18, TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

DIY redundancy.

Well, Clarkson did allegedly DIY rather than sub contracting to some
east end boys...

This NG is really more 'men in sheds'

Do you mind!! I have a Workshop" not a shed as I'm always reminding
the family.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 30/03/15 16:50, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:
On 30/03/2015 16:18, TomSawer wrote:
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

DIY redundancy.

Well, Clarkson did allegedly DIY rather than sub contracting to some east
end boys...

Clarkson is the untimate DIYer.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:53:31 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:42:21 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

wrote:

On 30 Mar 2015, TomSawer grunted:

You were wrong, it's not a site.

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.
What has this got to do with DIY topics?

And nor was that an email.

What do you expect from Avast? I was given a laptop with Avast (up to date)
running on it. I took off Avast, installed AVG, and allowed it to remove
FORTY TWO DIFFERENT viruses. The laptop then ran 10 times the original
speed.

What is a virus and for what reason should I have one on my computer?

Is that some kind of a flimsy joke?

Answer the question, Unc.

Can't be bothered, ask your mother.

--
Sprinter Tim Montgomery is banned 2 years for doping.
Track officials began to suspect he might be juicing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2015 17:03:53 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Almost nothing. Most on here are too old/frail to do any diy nowadays,

Well really. I'll have you know I only just remember pre-decimal currency, punched cards, and petrol going over £1 a gallon.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2015 19:16:33 UTC+1, Bob Minchin wrote:
This NG is really more 'men in sheds'

Do you mind!! I have a Workshop" not a shed as I'm always reminding
the family.

I'm working on having a hobbies room.

Just need to find somewhere else to put the kitchen.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TomSawer wrote

Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

Because it interests them presumably.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

We want to DIY BBC management, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

This NG is really more 'men in sheds'

Do you mind!! I have a Workshop" not a shed as I'm always reminding
the family.

I'm sure things have moved on now but in times of old, the advice when
talking to anyone from the council was to always call it a shed
(whatever the size), never a workshop :-)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:44:42 +0100, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

Almost nothing. Most on here are too old/frail to do any diy nowadays,

Well really. I'll have you know I only just remember pre-decimal
currency, punched cards, and petrol going over £1 a gallon.

I remember London trams, the farthing and petrol at 2/6d a gallon, but
I'm not yet old or frail.

I'm in my mid 40s, and I was _born_ post-decimalisation...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:38:38 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Monday, 30 March 2015 17:03:53 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Almost nothing. Most on here are too old/frail to do any diy nowadays,

Well really. I'll have you know I only just remember pre-decimal
currency, punched cards, and petrol going over £1 a gallon.

I used to work selling petrol at 6/8d a gallon!

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harryagain wrote:

There was some comment fron B&Q that DIYers are getting less & hence they
were changing over to "trade"

Closing up to 60 stores (out of 360).

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/retailing/article4397566.ece

pay-walled article, claims they'll take a hit of £8.6m per store closed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, its not a site for a start, its a Usenet newsgroup. its technology
predates web sites by many years.
There used to be net cops around who would make transgressors life's hard
if they persistently went off topic, but because these are unmoderated
areas, there is little that can be done in real terms. It tends to boil down
to whether the people who post on these groups tolerate the noise or not.
after all, nobody is making you download message bodies you don't want to,
assuming you use a real news reader, and not google, are they?

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"TomSawer" wrote in message
Why are people still going on about Clarkson and the BBC.

What has this got to do with DIY topics?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 8:20:37 AM UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, its not a site for a start, its a Usenet newsgroup. its technology
predates web sites by many years.
There used to be net cops around who would make transgressors life's hard
if they persistently went off topic, but because these are unmoderated
areas, there is little that can be done in real terms. It tends to boil down
to whether the people who post on these groups tolerate the noise or not.
after all, nobody is making you download message bodies you don't want to,
assuming you use a real news reader, and not google, are they?

Brian

Google groups doesnt download unwanted message bodies either

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:38:38 -0700, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Monday, 30 March 2015 17:03:53 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
Almost nothing. Most on here are too old/frail to do any diy nowadays,

Well really. I'll have you know I only just remember pre-decimal
currency, punched cards, and petrol going over £1 a gallon.

I used to work selling petrol at 6/8d a gallon!

4/6d when I started work.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In my case it was Edinburgh trams

Trams are a bad idea.

They are if they share streets with ordinary traffic.

--
*If God dropped acid, would he see people?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In my case it was Edinburgh trams

Trams are a bad idea.

They are if they share streets with ordinary traffic.

they did that for a great many years without problems. Trams preceded cars
on the roads, anyhow.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In my case it was Edinburgh trams

Trams are a bad idea.

They are if they share streets with ordinary traffic.

they did that for a great many years without problems.

Really? I can remember them breaking down and blocking the road. Also
having rails in the road are a nightmare for cyclists.

Trams preceded cars on the roads, anyhow.

So did horses. Things move on.

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In my case it was Edinburgh trams

Trams are a bad idea.

They are if they share streets with ordinary traffic.

they did that for a great many years without problems.

Really? I can remember them breaking down and blocking the road. Also
having rails in the road are a nightmare for cyclists.

Trams preceded cars on the roads, anyhow.

So did horses. Things move on.

I clearly remember riding my motorcycle through Sheffield on a damp and
misty morning. Started to overtake a tram, as I got alongside my wheels
got stuck in the rails. So I leant the bike over and laid on the road.
suddenly to my dismay the tram started to tilt over towards me. Panic!
Then I realised it was all the passengers had come across to look at
this poor young man prostate alongside the tram!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2015 12:47, Tim Streater wrote:
Trams are expensive and more so if they need their own land (i.e. so as
not to be mixed with other traffic).

They also work well if run through pedestrianised areas, both keeping
them separate from other traffic and putting them close to where people
want them.

They also need to rely on the city
having been laid out with the possibility of trams in mind when it was
built, which is not the case for most of the UK.

Again, not a problem if the streets have been pedestrianised.

If you want to reduce
diesel bus pollution in towns, I'd have said trolley buses made more
sense. At least they can drive round an obstruction....

They can suffer the same problem of not being able to take a different
route if a road needs to be closed for some reason, although more modern
designs often have battery power or auxiliary motors to allow them to
work away from the wires.

--
Colin Bignell

I thought I was bad... Michael Koblic Metalworking 6 October 13th 08 08:14 PM
OT - Thought for the day Louis Ohland Metalworking 0 December 26th 07 06:33 PM
Here's a thought... HeyBub Woodworking 9 June 9th 07 03:09 AM
see the most hot new site of 2007see the most hot new site of 2007 mote UK diy 1 March 21st 07 02:40 PM
Just a thought Tom D Woodturning 6 February 2nd 06 09:01 PM