Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

Default Just a thought

Just a thought. Say you have an unlimited supply of logs (I wish) and
were not bothered about wastage. What would be the best way to cut a bowl
blank (a) for contrasting grain and (b) for least chance of splitting or
distortion.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Peter Hyde

In article . net,
"Scott Cox" wrote:

Split the log lengthwise and then use the exterior of the log for the bottom
of the bowl and the fresh cut for the rim side of the bowl.

See attached image.

Good luck and be sure to post results to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking.

begin 666 bowlblank.jpg
[Image]

end

Scott,
How did you manage to post this image to the group?
My understanding has always been this is strictly a text only group. Am
I wrong? I know that UUencode is possible but am surprised it works if
that is what you used. This certainly is a lot better than all the
attempts in ASCII to draw something. So how did you do it?

--
Remove no & spam to email

meet me at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Peter Hyde wrote:
Scott,
How did you manage to post this image to the group?
My understanding has always been this is strictly a text only group. Am
I wrong? I know that UUencode is possible but am surprised it works if
that is what you used. This certainly is a lot better than all the
attempts in ASCII to draw something. So how did you do it?

You do it the normal way - just attach the image in your email/newsgroup
reader. Thing is, many ISPs will strip it out since it is a text group.
For instance, it didn't turn up on my system. It's best to post it
to a web page or alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking instead and put a
notice here.

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Tom D" wrote:

Just a thought. Say you have an unlimited supply of logs (I wish) and
were not bothered about wastage. What would be the best way to cut a bowl
blank (a) for contrasting grain and (b) for least chance of splitting or
distortion.

For (a), it all depends on what look you're after:
If you place the heartwood at the bottom of the bowl you'll have the
lighter sapwood at the rim. If you place the bark at the bottom, you'll
have the lighter sapwood surrounded by heart to the rim. Just depends...

The times I make sure to orient one way or the other is if I'm looking
at a burl or if the heart grain is figured or wild.
If a burl, I'll usually place the bottom at the bark so that
the burl is assured to be in the bottom of the bowl. If you orient the
other way, you will very likely cut through all the burl and have a
regular grained bowl with burl at the rim.
If wild grain, I'll place that at the bottom for the same
reason as before - I don't want to run the risk of cutting it all away
when I hollow it out.

The above two instances, of course, depend on when you can't tell if the
desirable feature extends the complete thickness of the blank.

(b) Hmmm. I'll have to visualize the distortion some.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
W Canaday

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:28:51 -0900, Kevin Miller wrote:

You do it the normal way - just attach the image in your email/newsgroup
reader. Thing is, many ISPs will strip it out since it is a text group.
For instance, it didn't turn up on my system. It's best to post it
to a web page or alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking instead and put a
notice here.

...Kevin

Yep ... the image was lost to me.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom D

Thank you for replies, hope someone comes back with comment on cutting for
minimal shrinking/warping.

Tom
"Peter Hyde" wrote in message
In article . net,
"Scott Cox" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

"Tom D" wrote in message
Thank you for replies, hope someone comes back with comment on cutting for
minimal shrinking/warping.

Function of the wood, not the cut.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fp.../fplgtr113.htm

Especially chapter three. It's all there, you provide the bag of chips.