Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

Default Never thought I'd be better off with oil instead of gas...

....but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gel

In UK heating oil has been cheaper than gas heating for some years;
traditionally gas prices have not been subject to fluctuations like oil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Gel wrote:
In UK heating oil has been cheaper than gas heating for some years;
traditionally gas prices have not been subject to fluctuations like oil

And you can use waste veggie.

If you filtered it, might you use sump oil if you thinned it down a
little? I have heard that you can use a car oil pump to make a spray
device similar to those used in the burners of CH boilers.

(Said appurtenance was for use outside.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 27 Nov 2005 00:23:12 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

Gel wrote:
In UK heating oil has been cheaper than gas heating for some years;
traditionally gas prices have not been subject to fluctuations like oil

And you can use waste veggie.

If you filtered it, might you use sump oil if you thinned it down a
little? I have heard that you can use a car oil pump to make a spray
device similar to those used in the burners of CH boilers.

(Said appurtenance was for use outside.)

At least with oil there is some competition between local suppliers.
With gas one is beholden to the Germans. They own much of our power.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt Beard

MM wrote:
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

True for LPG (delivered to a cylinder, or bought in "bottles"), but not
for mains gas:

Mains gas per kWh ~ 2p

Take oil per litre at 29.34p, kWh per litre of oil ~10.5, so oil ~2.8p
per kWh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pinot Grigio

"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Huge wrote:
"Pinot Grigio" Someone@somewhere writes:
"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Yes.

£500/worth would last us about 4 to 5 months in a large, exposed 5 bed house.

£700 worth lasts all year and sometimes up to 18 months here (large five
bedroomed house exposed, etc.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM
Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that

would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but

does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Yes.

£500/worth would last us about 4 to 5 months in a large, exposed 5 bed

house.

£700 worth lasts all year and sometimes up to 18 months here (large five
bedroomed house exposed, etc.)

Gas is still cheaper than oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:48:52 -0000, "Pinot Grigio" Someone@somewhere
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Not unless he likes frying eggs on the kitchen floor tiles! Some
people like it HOT.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM
Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that

would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but

does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Yes.

£500/worth would last us about 4 to 5 months in a large, exposed 5 bed

house.

£700 worth lasts all year and sometimes up to 18 months here (large five
bedroomed house exposed, etc.)

Gas is still cheaper than oil.

But for how much longer, given the five-fold increase.

"'Reports from National Grid this morning say that what is currently
happening in terms of the spot gas price is totally irrational,' he
said, referring to the recent five-fold increase to £1.68 per therm.'
[The Scotsman]

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

If you read the reports fully it will also (or should) tell you that
it's only large industrial users with no contracts who buy on the spot
market. Domestic gas will increase in price, but nothing like the
figures being bandied around in the media.

Remember, the media like a good scare story like MMR, the
"microbiologist" who managed to find MRSA in hospital swabs that wasn't
actually there, the dead parrot that turned out not to have died of
bird flue, gas prices to rise 5-fold, etc., etc.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:48:52 -0000, Pinot Grigio wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

No. I spend about 1800 a year on a large well insulated 6 bed house.
I don't like being cold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

But isn't it already the case that we have the most expensive domestic
gas in Europe?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David

In article , Pinot Grigio
Someone@somewhere.? writes
"MM" wrote in message
.. .
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

Yes, we spend about 5-600 per year for a large 4 bedroom house
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

"MM" wrote in message
...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

MM

Talking to my father this morning, he has just spent £500 on oil that would
last him til the middle of January. I know he doesn't shop around, but does
that sound rather a lot for a 4-bed house?

No. I spend about 1800 a year on a large well insulated 6 bed house.
I don't like being cold.

When I'm working most of the day in my computer room, which is the
third bedroom and very small, I don't have the heating switched on. I
just run a little fan heater on a thermostat. Seems daft heating every
room in the house if one is never in them. And even if the
thermostatic valves on the radiators are turned down to their lowest
point, the pipes are still having to be heated somewhat, especially
since the boiler is in the garage. I still tend to treat CH as a
luxury, I'm afraid, having grown up with open fires and nothing else.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
VivienB

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Regards, VivienB
-
Regards, VivienB
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David

In article , VivienB
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Regards, VivienB
-
Regards, VivienB

Crikey, Just paid 29.45 for 1000 in Suffolk whereabouts are you??
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:46:19 +0000, David
wrote:

In article , VivienB
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Regards, VivienB
-
Regards, VivienB

Crikey, Just paid 29.45 for 1000 in Suffolk whereabouts are you??

Which supplier, David?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
David

In article , MM
writes
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:46:19 +0000, David
wrote:

In article , VivienB
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Regards, VivienB
-
Regards, VivienB

Crikey, Just paid 29.45 for 1000 in Suffolk whereabouts are you??

Which supplier, David?

MM

Suffolk County Fuels 01449 771772, did a comparison on boilerjuice which
was coming out about a penny more expensive (checked last night, still
the same) I always give 2 or 3 suppliers a ring and then SCF beat the
best quote.
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
VivienB

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:46:19 +0000, David
wrote:

In article , VivienB
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Crikey, Just paid 29.45 for 1000 in Suffolk whereabouts are you??

Wiltshire/Somerset border.

-
Regards, VivienB

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:31:41 +0000, VivienB
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:46:19 +0000, David
wrote:

In article , VivienB
writes
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

Crikey, Just paid 29.45 for 1000 in Suffolk whereabouts are you??

Wiltshire/Somerset border.

Ah, that explains it. Everything is more expensive down South. I used
to live there. I came up here 'cos it's cheaper.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

2000 litres delivered today to one of my oil boiler clients at 28.6
pence/litre. I watched as it was pumped in. Supplied by Northern Energy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:40:48 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

"VivienB" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

2000 litres delivered today to one of my oil boiler clients at 28.6
pence/litre. I watched as it was pumped in. Supplied by Northern Energy

Was that including 5% VAT?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"MM" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:40:48 +0000 (UTC), "John"
wrote:

"VivienB" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:29:02 +0000, MM wrote:

...but it's rapidly looking that way, as the BBC News web site is
saying how high gas prices might spark a global recession.

Last time I checked, heating oil was available (1000 litres) at
29.34p.

Check again - 2000 litres has just cost us 34.95p/litre (discounted
for prompt payment).

2000 litres delivered today to one of my oil boiler clients at 28.6
pence/litre. I watched as it was pumped in. Supplied by Northern Energy

Was that including 5% VAT?

MM

As my tank is half full at the moment I didn't think to ask, but either way
it is certainly a significant reduction from the peak prices of a few weeks
ago.