Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thought this was a rec.woodworking news group my bust....

Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
19.60.9.44.84

Gee guess you have to look elsewhere huh!

wrote in message
.. .
Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from
political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

wrote in message
.. .
Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from
political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Next time use something besides surface bait.

So you can't discern sh*t from Shinola?

Must be a rugged life having to put up with others' imperfections....

Posted to rec.woodworking
Alan Holmes

"19.60.9.44.84" wrote in message
Gee guess you have to look elsewhere huh!

No, just put a block on your posts!

wrote in message
.. .
Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from
political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

writes:

Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything
from political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking
for.

_____________________
/| /| | | |
||__|| | | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the |
/ \ | Trolls |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Bruce Barnett wrote:

writes:

Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything
from political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking
for.

_____________________
/| /| | | |
||__|| | | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the |
/ \ | Trolls |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

You really think he is a troll, and not just complaining? Why wouldn't
someone have a right to complain about the content, if in their mind
they feel the signal to noise ratio is low? (cute graphic BTW)

Dave
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

David writes:

You really think he is a troll, and not just complaining? Why
wouldn't someone have a right to complain about the content, if in
their mind they feel the signal to noise ratio is low?

I checked his posting history[1]. Either he's a first time poster, or he
created the account just to complain.

If someone wants into a big room, and announces loudly that everyone
in the room is a loser, wouldn't you say that the person is looking to
cause trouble?

- - - - - - -

[1] An hour after his first posting, he posted a second message.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...cpDA56-4t4LAQw

Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Bruce Barnett wrote:
David writes:

You really think he is a troll, and not just complaining? Why
wouldn't someone have a right to complain about the content, if in
their mind they feel the signal to noise ratio is low?

I checked his posting history[1]. Either he's a first time poster, or he
created the account just to complain.

If someone wants into a big room, and announces loudly that everyone
in the room is a loser, wouldn't you say that the person is looking to
cause trouble?

- - - - - - -

[1] An hour after his first posting, he posted a second message.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...cpDA56-4t4LAQw

I saw the second post. didn't see trollish, did it? or did I miss
something--I speed read and sometimes miss a bit?

dave
Posted to rec.woodworking

David wrote:
Bruce Barnett wrote:
David writes:

You really think he is a troll, and not just complaining? Why
wouldn't someone have a right to complain about the content?

I saw the second post. didn't see trollish, did it? or did I miss
something--I speed read and sometimes miss a bit?

dave

I got spanked a few weeks ago for posting something maybe a little
similar. I got plonked and brow-beat, yeah, he's probably Googling the
headers just like I do and seeing every post. Probably wondering
"What's the point?"

Well, if that's the case, then here's what I was told.
--------------------------
Get yourself a proper news reader.

He doesn't show any text because he's not smart enough to figure out
how or his browser or whatever won't let him.

Did you just now figure out how to killfile?

Well, you took care of that. (meaning, the trolls came back because I
was amazed to see a Google page with nothing but woodworking topics.)
--------------------------
Take your pick and slam this guy or whatever.

Someone@somewhere.? Welcome to Wreck. Wood. Your questions will be
handled by helpful people, and trolls, and Holier than thou Linux
users, and Usenet Imperialists.

Oh! and if you see a remark that has very little to do with regular
woodworking or the NG in particular, such as how do I build a spaceship
out of wood? You may assume and condemn the origional posting
individual as a troll.

I think that about covers the general attitude.

Tom in KY, once ya' get used to it, it's not so bad. I just glean out
whatever I find that's useful and have a little fun with the friendlier
of the bunch.

HEY! If you decide to start a war, ask a question about Jimmy Carter's
woodworking!

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett

writes:

I got spanked a few weeks ago for posting something maybe a little
similar. I got plonked and brow-beat, yeah, he's probably Googling the
headers just like I do and seeing every post. Probably wondering
"What's the point?"

I agree that many of the members here are rude. But that's the nature
of the beast. Some people have been doing woodworking twice as long
as some of the posters have been alive. We also have many who have
strong opinions and make it well known.

You also have to realize that using the right netiquette is important
to communicate with others and NOT personal. Every one of us had to
learn this, and we all learned it the hard way. Every single one of us
has been "flamed" - or what we think is a flame, when really it's
simple advice. I've given lots of advice for decades, thousands of
times, and after the first hundred times, I tend to be terser, which
some people think is rude. It's not. It's a simple statement of how
things work, said as simply as possible. Most of us are busy, and we
don't have time to use the style of "red.woodworking for dummies" for
each and every reply.

You have to consider how it looks to old-time netters when someone
shows up and say loudly "You guys are so boring. I'm sitting here
waiting to be impressed, and you haven't impressed me yet."

If this happened in the local woodworking club, everyone present would
consider the newcomer to be rude. Yes, two guys in the corner are
arguing politics. We don't like it either. So find a different corner
with people who have the same interest, and ask your question to those
who care.

In most cases, serious questions get answered. Those that need help
get help. The system works here. If you don't have kill-files, then
your newsreader is seriously flawed, and you will have a hard time
participating with others. It's not a flame. It's a simple fact.

The OP who criticized this newsgroup has a total of two postings
to this group, and the first one was a flame.

The way I see it, if you are unwilling to put some effort into joining
the group, then you are likely unwilling to put effort into
woodworking.

Oh! and if you see a remark that has very little to do with regular
woodworking or the NG in particular, such as how do I build a spaceship
out of wood? You may assume and condemn the origional posting
individual as a troll.

Let me add something.

If you see an obvious troll, like the noah's ark, wooden spaceship, or
getting 1000 anvils, and there is a followup to some odd-ball
newsgroup, then if you want to come up with an amusing reply, remove
the odd-ball newsgroup - because that's how the troll keeps
score. Every time one of us replies to the score newsgroup, the troll
wins. And he/she will come back here and do it again and again and
again.

So each and every one of us has to (1) Not post a followup to the
score newsgroup, and (2) tell others who do so that they are
encouraging the troll to repeat their act again and again.

This is a flame. But it's a flame to help improve the newsgroup, and
to make your experience here more enjoyable. It's really the best
and most practical advice people can give.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:53:22 GMT, wrote:

Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Not a very good fishing day, eh? Only five bites, a couple of nibbles
and somebody took the bait off your hook.

Better luck next time.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Thomas Bunetta

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 14:53:22 GMT, wrote:

Gees I was looking for a woodworking newsgroup. This has everything from
political to hatred. Don't think this is what I was looking for.

Not a very good fishing day, eh? Only five bites, a couple of nibbles
and somebody took the bait off your hook.

Better luck next time.

Heh, heh,heh!
My sentiments as well.
Tom