Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dummy AA battery?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:03:32 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:24:07 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared to
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO, that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

A sweeping statement. It depends on the acumen of the designer and/or
the intelligence of the end-user.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:27:47 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:11:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 30/11/14 16:40, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:12:29 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

Show me any Lithium based battery which is 1.2 volts.

All of my solar powered garden lights are Lithium 1.2 volts.

Those would be the miracle NiMh LITHIUM batteries then?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...938831414.html

I'm sure there are homeopathic amounts of lithium in them, along with
all the other elements in the periodic table.

Why do homeopaths always spell psychopath wrongly?

--
There are two sides to every divorce:
Yours and the stupid idiot's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:32:01 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:03:32 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:24:07 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared to
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO, that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

A sweeping statement. It depends on the acumen of the designer and/or
the intelligence of the end-user.

90% of the population would forget there are two voltages. And I doubt many products made before Li AAs came out would allow for having over double the voltage present in the battery compartment. It's not like it's a DC input socket where they could expect someone to select the wrong voltage on a multi voltage wall wart.

--
The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal Commission for Political Correctness announced today that the climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as "English Weather".
Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the UK population, it will now be referred to as "Muslim Weather" - (Partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 30/11/14 16:40, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:12:29 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

Show me any Lithium based battery which is 1.2 volts.

All of my solar powered garden lights are Lithium 1.2 volts.

Those would be the miracle NiMh LITHIUM batteries then?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...938831414.html

I'm sure there are homeopathic amounts of lithium in them, along with
all the other elements in the periodic table.

Why do homeopaths always spell psychopath wrongly?

A common homeopathic related affliction, associated with taking
excessive amounts of ground camel's toenail powder;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2014 17:11, Dennis@home wrote:

I bought a nitecore charger off amazon.
It seems OK but I haven't taken it apart.
It uses a figure 8 cable rather than a power brick.

The batteries are ultrafire off ebay, they came in a pack with the torch
and charger but the charger was cr@p.

Thank you. They do look better than many!

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:57:22 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 03:58:36 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage, is there such a thing
as a "dummy AA" battery which I could use along with a Lithium
to give the same voltage in a 2xAA piece of equipment?

Yep, plenty on ebay and amazon etc.

What are they called?

Dummy AA battery.

Searching for dummy AA didn't work.

Worked fine here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...y+aa&_s op=15
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...y+aa&_s op=15

Ah. I searched for "dummy AA", I should have added the word battery.
Normally the battery code is enough to find them on Ebay.

Still is
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mmy+aa&_sop=15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...mmy+aa&_sop=15

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many of
them do.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

The website looks like it was made by a child.

Yeah, its completely ****ed. You can't see at a glance what the
shipping cost will be with every transaction like you can with ebay.

And the fools are very selective about what they will ship to other
than the main country the for the particular amazon site too.

There's no obvious feedback system,

Its actually quite a bit better than with ebay on the product itself.

and it looks like it's been written back in the days of 486s.

Yeah, you can't even sort on price until you specify the category.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying from Amazon, a company, or an
individual.

It can certainly be a bit tricky working that out when its not amazon
itself.

Also the prices are far too high.

Particularly the shipping costs when its not free when you
are outside the main country for the particular amazon site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared to
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO, that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the
circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any
dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

Its unlikely that many devices which take just one battery would care much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:32:01 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:03:32 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:24:07 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

Ohmagod! WTF? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291035184117 £1 battery charger?

--
The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal Commission for Political Correctness announced today that the climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as "English Weather".
Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the UK population, it will now be referred to as "Muslim Weather" - (Partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

Its not necessarily the device designer that matters, whether
it works fine or not is more likely to be determined by the
design of the ic its powering and few of those that will
work down to say 1.2v are likely to die with even 3.6v
if the device only takes a single battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:32:01 -0000, Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 20:03:32 -0000, "Uncle Peter" wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:24:07 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared to
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO, that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

A sweeping statement. It depends on the acumen of the designer and/or
the intelligence of the end-user.

I think I'll avoid this make, don't they know what it means in English?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161290133130

--
The Archbishop of Canterbury and The Royal Commission for Political Correctness announced today that the climate in the UK should no longer be referred to as "English Weather".
Rather than offend a sizeable portion of the UK population, it will now be referred to as "Muslim Weather" - (Partly Sunni, but mostly Shi'ite).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Your first link works, but the second (the uk one) finds all sorts of ****.

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many of
them do.

Xrays won't go through the metal case, it'll look like a battery.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

I've found it has less stuff than Ebay. Ebay is bigger.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

How stupid. I often come across an Ebay item in a Google search, then end up buying it, so Amazon are losing sales.

The website looks like it was made by a child.

Yeah, its completely ****ed. You can't see at a glance what the
shipping cost will be with every transaction like you can with ebay.

And the fools are very selective about what they will ship to other
than the main country the for the particular amazon site too.

There's no obvious feedback system,

Its actually quite a bit better than with ebay on the product itself.

Well I couldn't find the feedback at all when I first looked, and gave up after 5 minutes. On Ebay it's right in front of you.

and it looks like it's been written back in the days of 486s.

Yeah, you can't even sort on price until you specify the category.

That's enough reason to not use it right there. Price is the most important thing.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying from Amazon, a company, or an
individual.

It can certainly be a bit tricky working that out when its not amazon
itself.

Also the prices are far too high.

Particularly the shipping costs when its not free when you
are outside the main country for the particular amazon site.

--
Black holes are where god divided by zero.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared to
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO, that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the
circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any
dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

Its unlikely that many devices which take just one battery would care much.

Triple voltage? I would think they would.

--
An ostrichs eye is bigger than its brain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

But most things take two or more batteries.
--
An ostrichs eye is bigger than its brain.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage, is there such a thing
as a "dummy AA" battery which I could use along with a Lithium
to give the same voltage in a 2xAA piece of equipment?

Yep, plenty on ebay and amazon etc.

What are they called?

Dummy AA battery.

Searching for dummy AA didn't work.

Worked fine here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...y+aa&_s op=15
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...y+aa&_s op=15

Ah. I searched for "dummy AA", I should have added the word battery.
Normally the battery code is enough to find them on Ebay.

Still is
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mmy+aa&_sop=15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...mmy+aa&_sop=15

Your first link works, but the second (the uk one) finds all sorts of
****.

Still has a dummy aa battery.

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many of
them do.

Xrays won't go through the metal case,

Wrong.

it'll look like a battery.

Wrong. It will look completely different to a battery.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

I've found it has less stuff than Ebay. Ebay is bigger.

I've found the exact opposite with much
of what I buy, lot more choice on amazon.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

How stupid.

True.

I often come across an Ebay item in a Google search, then end up buying
it,

Yeah, me too.

so Amazon are losing sales.

That's arguable with those who look on amazon first.

The website looks like it was made by a child.

Yeah, its completely ****ed. You can't see at a glance what the
shipping cost will be with every transaction like you can with ebay.

And the fools are very selective about what they will ship to other
than the main country the for the particular amazon site too.

There's no obvious feedback system,

Its actually quite a bit better than with ebay on the product itself.

Well I couldn't find the feedback at all when I first looked, and gave up
after 5 minutes. On Ebay it's right in front of you.

Yeah, like the shipping cost, its much easier to find on ebay.

and it looks like it's been written back in the days of 486s.

Yeah, you can't even sort on price until you specify the category.

That's enough reason to not use it right there. Price is the most
important thing.

You can still sort on price, you just have to select the category first.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying from Amazon, a company, or an
individual.

It can certainly be a bit tricky working that out when its not amazon
itself.

Also the prices are far too high.

Particularly the shipping costs when its not free when you
are outside the main country for the particular amazon site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage ...

Come again?

I suspect he's talking about Li-ion 14500 cells (3.7-4.2V) compared
AA (1.2-1.5V) cells.

Ah yes I see - thanks. I'd not come across these. A bit odd, IMO,
that
they're AA size.

Probably so you can have a torch which will accept either if the
circuitry
isn't fussy about voltage.

Yep, plenty of torches are designed to take either.

It's asking for people to blow things up though.

Not sure much is going to blow up.

If you put Li batteries in a device designed only for NiMH, without any
dummies, it wouldn't be happy.

Its unlikely that many devices which take just one battery would care
much.

Triple voltage? I would think they would.

I now they dont. There are **** all ics that mind 3.6v

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Thats not true of the stuff that takes coin cells.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:57:55 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether. The website looks like it was made
by a child. There's no obvious feedback system,

Feedback in what sense? Reviews? Or about stuff you buy as in how they
were to deal with? Either of these is trivially simple.

In the sense of how it is on Ebay. How reputable the seller is.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying
from Amazon, a company, or an individual.

You are obviously dim.

The website designer is dim.

--
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
-- Billy Wilson, Tough Guy, http://www.toughguy.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

But we're talking about AA batteries - where there are two different voltages for the same size of battery.

--
The skeleton found in the car park has been confirmed to be that of Richard III, but one question remains unanswered:
Who did I pay £20,000 on Ebay for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 18:24:07 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

It's not just ICs though. What about a clock?

--
Do infants have as much fun in their infancy as adults do in adultery?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the middle of all sorts of other ****.

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many of
them do.

Xrays won't go through the metal case,

Wrong.

Xrays don't go through metal, this is a fact.

it'll look like a battery.

Wrong. It will look completely different to a battery.

The Xrays don't go through the steel outer shell, so you just see the shape of it, which is identical to a battery.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

I've found it has less stuff than Ebay. Ebay is bigger.

I've found the exact opposite with much
of what I buy, lot more choice on amazon.

Odd.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

How stupid.

True.

I often come across an Ebay item in a Google search, then end up buying
it,

Yeah, me too.

so Amazon are losing sales.

That's arguable with those who look on amazon first.

Out of about 20 people I know that buy online, I'd say 1 uses Amazon, 1 uses both, and 18 use Ebay. The 1 that uses both only buys books on Amazon, which is what I used to think they sold.

[...]

I might not want only one category.

--
My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in bed.
I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether. The website looks like it was made
by a child. There's no obvious feedback system,

Feedback in what sense? Reviews? Or about stuff you buy as in how they
were to deal with? Either of these is trivially simple.

In the sense of how it is on Ebay. How reputable the seller is.

That doesn't exist on Amazon and doesn't need to in the same sense. On
ebay you're dealing with individuals (or possibly companies). They may
have a crap rep, so the feedback on them is useful.

The concept is supposedly different on Amazon. Supposedly they've been
vetted by Amazon and you are mostly dealing with companies. I would
imagine that if a company screws up too often Amazon would remove them
as a trading partner.

Whenever I buy stuff off Amazon I get a mail asking me to rate the
transaction and write a review of the product and the process of
getting it.

I prefer to see the feedback myself instead of trusting Amazon to choose.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying
from Amazon, a company, or an individual.

You are obviously dim.

The website designer is dim.

No George it's you. F'rinstance:

If I want a XIAOZHI Deluxe Leather iPad Mini Padfolio for Junior Legal
A5 Paper, then right there on the page with the item it says:

Dispatched from and sold by mostwill-eu

By contrast if I want a Pentax 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR Lens
then right there on the page with the item it says:

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.

Simples.

Then maybe it's improved.

Anyway, why are Amazon selling stuff and allowing others to aswell? Is it a company or a marketplace?

--
DNA tests confirm that Richard III is the last Englishman to be found in Leicester!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

It's not just ICs though.

It is with most battery powered stuff now.

What about a clock?

Even less likely to be a problem with
a clock which has just one battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sure, but its still there.

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many
of
them do.

Xrays won't go through the metal case,

Wrong.

Xrays don't go through metal,

Wrong. If that was so, you could get bulk illegal drugs thru
customs just by putting them inside a metal container.

Watch any of the reality TV shows that show customs
inspection of the baggage and postal articles and you
will see plenty of examples of xrays being used to find
illegal drugs inside even stuff like canned food.

They also xray full shipping containers too.

this is a fact.

Its nothing even remotely like a fact.

it'll look like a battery.

Wrong. It will look completely different to a battery.

The Xrays don't go through the steel outer shell,

You are just plain wrong.

so you just see the shape of it,

You are just plain wrong.

which is identical to a battery.

You are just plain wrong.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot
harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

I've found it has less stuff than Ebay. Ebay is bigger.

I've found the exact opposite with much
of what I buy, lot more choice on amazon.

Odd.

Maybe it's the stuff bought. Try those fancy weighing spoons,
you will find that there are lots more on amazon than on ebay.

Same with bathroom scales too.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

How stupid.

True.

I often come across an Ebay item in a Google search, then end up buying
it,

Yeah, me too.

so Amazon are losing sales.

That's arguable with those who look on amazon first.

Out of about 20 people I know that buy online,

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

[...]

Sure, it's a completely stupid approach but you can
just do that in the multiple categorys if that is the case.

--
My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in
bed.
I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?"
"No," she answered.
I then said, "Is that your final answer?"
She didn't even look at me this time, simply saying, "Yes...."
So I said, "Then I'd like to phone a friend."
And that's when the fight started...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:57:55 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

Because they make more money that way.

Is it a company or a marketplace?

Its both.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a book on a WW2 camouflage unit, which gives information on how
they created a dummy AA battery, to mislead German reconnaissance, if
that is any use.

--
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 08:59:52 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

There used to be something like this made which had ways to attach wires,
but not seen them recently. I had two to convert an old radio to run off a
psu long ago. It seems that this kind of mod is discouraged these days.

Back in the late(?) 70s, I bought myself a Sinclair Executive
electronic calculator. The battery life was very poor and it soon
became evident that there'd been a terrible design gaff in specifying
a 4 cell battery (hearing aid button cells) since my experiment
involving the use of a dummy cell doubled the battery life with no
detriement to its performance.

Interestingly, when I googled for such 'collectables', I noticed that
Sinclair had reduced the cell count to 3, presumably this would have
been later MKII models.

I can't recall seeing any examples showing a 4 cell requirement (they
may have all been disposed of by their original owners in favour of a
later 3 cell version - more fool them).
--
J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:57:33 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

But most things take two or more batteries.

Bull****! Most things take 1 battery. I have a CH programmer that 2
batteries, each comprising 2 AA cells; all else takes 1, 2, 3 or 4 AA or AAA
cells, except for a few coin cells and 1 half-AA 12V battery.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Is that how come they xray whole metal containers to find contraband?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well a medical xray doesn't see through any metal plates in you. I guess they're more powerful in airports? Which begs the question how much cancer they give you.

--
If sex is a pain in the ass, then you're doing it wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 08:11:44 -0000, PeterC wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:57:33 -0000, Uncle Peter wrote:

But most things take two or more batteries.

Bull****! Most things take 1 battery. I have a CH programmer that 2
batteries, each comprising 2 AA cells; all else takes 1, 2, 3 or 4 AA or AAA
cells, except for a few coin cells and 1 half-AA 12V battery.

You say most things take 1 battery, then go on to list things with multiple batteries. Are you smoking weed?

--
A patient tells the Doctor, "I've been going to a faith healer, but wasn't getting any better."
The Doctor smiled and said, "And what dumb advice did this phony give you?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:57:55 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

A mess.

--
god said:

"The Divergence of the B Field = 0
The Curl of the E Field + the partial time derivative of the B field = 0
The Divergence of the D field = the charge density
The Curl of the H field - the partial time derivative of the D field = the current density"

and there was light, and he saw that it was good and of constant speed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:31:31 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Putting a Lithium battery in there would give it way too much voltage.

--
Aristotle believed wind direction determined whether a baby would be a boy or a girl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm electric razor and electric toothbrush have a motor. Digital camera has a cold cathode lamp.

--
Aristotle believed wind direction determined whether a baby would be a boy or a girl.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whenever I buy stuff off Amazon I get a mail asking me to rate the
transaction and write a review of the product and the process of
getting it.

I prefer to see the feedback myself instead of trusting Amazon to choose.

To choose what?

I also can never figure out if I'm buying
from Amazon, a company, or an individual.

You are obviously dim.

The website designer is dim.

No George it's you. F'rinstance:

If I want a XIAOZHI Deluxe Leather iPad Mini Padfolio for Junior Legal
A5 Paper, then right there on the page with the item it says:

Dispatched from and sold by mostwill-eu

By contrast if I want a Pentax 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR Lens
then right there on the page with the item it says:

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.

Simples.

Then maybe it's improved.

Been like that for some yonks at least.

Anyway, why are Amazon selling stuff and allowing others to as well?
Is it a company or a marketplace?

Why not. They make it clear what's going on - who you're buying from.

Ebay is far simpler and clearer, and much easier to find stuff. And I can get things from private individuals aswell.

--
Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"
Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes

wrote:

[...]

Indeed, though my FIL still seems not to always notice.

Anyway, why are Amazon selling stuff and allowing others to as well?
Is it a company or a marketplace?

Why not. They make it clear what's going on - who you're buying from.

There are a few benefits to Amazon of the Amazon Marketplace setup.

1. It keeps more online trade through the Amazon website, so encouraging
people to just go there. If you are there you are more likely to buy
from Amazon, than if you are on another website. And you are more likely
to come back another time.

2. The get a cut of any sales anyway.

3. Market intelligence - they know what is being sold, how much, for
what price etc. and can see if it is worth them selling a particular
product.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Irrelevant to what the xrays customs use can do.

I guess they're more powerful in airports?

Not just airports.

Which begs the question how much cancer they give you.

They mostly xray the bags not the people.

If you are in a shipping container when its xrayed, that's your problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 00:12:15 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:57:55 -0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter
wrote:

[...]

Like that or lump it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Its unlikely to be a problem with a clock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Few of those have removable batterys.

Digital camera has a cold cathode lamp.

Most just use their smartphone now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 23:47:44 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 14:45:53 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Andy
Burns wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter

wrote:

[...]

Both mine use 2 AAs, and I've never sen one that doesn't. I wouldn't buy one where the battery wasn't easily replaceable.

Which is **** for photos.

--
President Bush is rehearsing his speech for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
He begins with "Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!"

LED for Dummy Alarm Box DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 20 June 21st 14 12:09 PM
I am a dummy Gramp's shop[_2_] Woodworking 14 August 24th 13 08:41 PM
dummy Phil Wendt Woodworking 3 October 19th 06 03:16 PM
Dummy bell box [email protected] UK diy 56 October 5th 06 11:14 AM
so a dummy buys a ras... Adam Woodworking 99 June 21st 05 07:18 PM