Posted to uk.d-i-y
Uncle Peter[_2_] Uncle Peter[_2_] is offline

Default Dummy AA battery?

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 09:02:35 -0000, F Murtz wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:29:55 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:57:22 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 03:58:36 -0000, Rod Speed

wrote:

Uncle Peter wrote

Since Lithium Ions are double the voltage, is there such a thing
as a "dummy AA" battery which I could use along with a Lithium
to give the same voltage in a 2xAA piece of equipment?

Yep, plenty on ebay and amazon etc.

What are they called?

Dummy AA battery.

Searching for dummy AA didn't work.

Worked fine here.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...y+aa&_s op=15

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...y+aa&_s op=15

Ah. I searched for "dummy AA", I should have added the word battery.
Normally the battery code is enough to find them on Ebay.

Still is
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...mmy+aa&_sop=15
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...mmy+aa&_sop=15

Your first link works, but the second (the uk one) finds all sorts of ****.

I like this one: you can hide illegal drugs in it to get past airport
security: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181500284159

Not if they xray it as most of them do now or use sniffer dogs as many of
them do.

Xrays won't go through the metal case, it'll look like a battery.

The amazon search system is so completely ****ed that it's a lot harder
to find them on there.

Amazon is completely ****ed altogether.

Dunno, it often has a rather better range of a particular item
than ebay does, just completely ****ing hopeless search engine.

I've found it has less stuff than Ebay. Ebay is bigger.

And they stop google doing an advanced search on their site
too so you can't even get around the problem that way either.

How stupid. I often come across an Ebay item in a Google search, then
end up buying it, so Amazon are losing sales.

The website looks like it was made by a child.

Yeah, its completely ****ed. You can't see at a glance what the
shipping cost will be with every transaction like you can with ebay.

And the fools are very selective about what they will ship to other
than the main country the for the particular amazon site too.

There's no obvious feedback system,

Its actually quite a bit better than with ebay on the product itself.

Well I couldn't find the feedback at all when I first looked, and gave
up after 5 minutes. On Ebay it's right in front of you.

and it looks like it's been written back in the days of 486s.

Yeah, you can't even sort on price until you specify the category.

That's enough reason to not use it right there. Price is the most
important thing.

I also can never figure out if I'm buying from Amazon, a company, or an
individual.

It can certainly be a bit tricky working that out when its not amazon
itself.

Also the prices are far too high.

Particularly the shipping costs when its not free when you
are outside the main country for the particular amazon site.

Is that how come they xray whole metal containers to find contraband?

Well a medical xray doesn't see through any metal plates in you. I guess they're more powerful in airports? Which begs the question how much cancer they give you.

--
If sex is a pain in the ass, then you're doing it wrong.