Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi electric chainsaw

Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:00:04 +0000, Reentrant wrote:

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

Depends how often you want to replace the chain. The energy source for
the motor makes no difference whatsoever to the lubrication requirements
of the chain and bar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:00:04 +0000, Reentrant wrote:

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

The organic bio-degradable oils are fine for forestry workers and such that use
the saws regularly. In occasional use, where the same oil may well remain in the
saw for a year, they can oxidise, become gummy, clog the oilways in the bar etc.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 16:00, Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

It's probably best to use oil which has been formulated for chain saws -
I think it contains something to stop it being thrown off the chain too
easily.

I use this in my electric chain saw:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...questid=266446
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote

Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for itself.
I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than expected.

And you dont have the problem that the damned
thing stops when you are up the top of the ladder
and you can't start it while up the ladder.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use vegetable
/ cooking oil as many websites suggest?

I wouldnt, its quite different to bar oil.

It's hardly seems worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil
intended for more powerful 2-stroke saws.

There's plenty of cheap non branded bar oil around.

I dont see that the power of the saw is relevant to the bar oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 16:00, Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

It is not a good idea if you want the saw to last. You don't need to
Stihl oil but you do need to use a good quality noil formulated for the
job.

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

I use the toolstation chainsaw oil is my little bosch electric chainsaw
- seems to work OK and not block up
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:41:50 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

I use the toolstation chainsaw oil is my little bosch electric chainsaw
- seems to work OK and not block up

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Exactly how much of a saving do you want to make?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 05/11/2014 19:55, Adrian wrote:

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Your Googling must be better than mine - howsabout a hint?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Reentrant wrote

Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for itself.
I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than expected.

And you dont have the problem that the damned
thing stops when you are up the top of the ladder
and you can't start it while up the ladder.

No problem, just re-start it like this :

http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/chainsaw-crotch.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gazz" wrote in message ...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Reentrant wrote

Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

And you dont have the problem that the damned
thing stops when you are up the top of the ladder
and you can't start it while up the ladder.

No problem,

We'll see...

just re-start it like this :
http://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/chainsaw-crotch.jpg

Not as easy when you are up the ladder with one hand to hang on with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2014 19:41, Bob Minchin wrote:
Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

I use the toolstation chainsaw oil is my little bosch electric chainsaw
- seems to work OK and not block up

Ah - hadn't realised it was so cheap at £3.51 for a litre. I don't think
I'll ever need 5l.

Thanks all.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 05/11/2014 19:55, Adrian wrote:

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Your Googling must be better than mine - howsabout a hint?

fifteen seconds using google shopping:

http://snipurl.com/29etw2y

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 06/11/2014 19:13, Phil L wrote:
wrote in message
On 05/11/2014 19:55, Adrian wrote:

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Your Googling must be better than mine - howsabout a hint?

fifteen seconds using google shopping:

http://snipurl.com/29etw2y

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that. He said £11 delivered -
delivery costs on the one you pointed at took it to about £16 delivered

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 00:57:20 +0000, no_spam wrote:

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Your Googling must be better than mine - howsabout a hint?

fifteen seconds using google shopping:

http://snipurl.com/29etw2y

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that. He said £11 delivered -
delivery costs on the one you pointed at took it to about £16 delivered

Google shopping search for "chainsaw oil". Husqvarna 5l is fifth result,
£5.99+£5.50 delivery.

I CBA to click through, so it might be a cockup, but...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Google shopping search for "chainsaw oil". Husqvarna 5l is fifth
result, £5.99+£5.50 delivery.

I CBA to click through, so it might be a cockup, but...

If something seems too good to be true......one click would have shown
you that it was. (5L for GBP 21.99 + 5.50) This is after all Google
Shopping - home of unregulated advertising.

But if you like bargains I could get you a really good price on a prime
property at 40.7057° N, 73.9964° W
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 07/11/2014 08:26, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 00:57:20 +0000, no_spam wrote:

A quick google suggests Husqvarna chain oil can be obtained for £11
delivered for 5 litres...

Your Googling must be better than mine - howsabout a hint?

fifteen seconds using google shopping:

http://snipurl.com/29etw2y

Sorry, you'll have to do better than that. He said £11 delivered -
delivery costs on the one you pointed at took it to about £16 delivered

Google shopping search for "chainsaw oil". Husqvarna 5l is fifth result,
£5.99+£5.50 delivery.

I CBA to click through, so it might be a cockup, but...

Thanks, I've never bothered with a "shopping" search but I can see that
it could be useful. In this case, however, that's the price for 1 litre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:54:39 +0000, no_spam wrote:

Google shopping search for "chainsaw oil". Husqvarna 5l is fifth
result,
£5.99+£5.50 delivery.

I CBA to click through, so it might be a cockup, but...

Thanks, I've never bothered with a "shopping" search but I can see that
it could be useful. In this case, however, that's the price for 1 litre.

Ah. It does say 5L in the search result, though...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:59:10 PM UTC, Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

--
Reentrant

A general question on the subject. Petrol chainsaws are considered fearsome beasts that can kick back and slice people's heads in half, etc. Is there any reason to consider the smaller electric chainsaws much safer ?
My FIL was a tree surgeon and wielded a small electric chainsaw like a pruning knife, and I was never sure whether to be worried or not !

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 15:10, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Most electric chainsaws have a safety device in front of your hand,
which deploys if they *do* kick back - operating a switch which cuts the
power and applies the chain brake.

Most (and I presume that petrol ones do too) also have some spikes at
the motor end of the bar which dig into large diameter wood, and help to
reduce kick-back.

Having said that, I've watched expert petrol saw operators using them to
create complex 'sculptures' out of blocks of wood - using just the tips
of the bars.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:59:10 PM UTC, Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

A general question on the subject.

Too radical by far.

Petrol chainsaws are considered fearsome beasts that can kick back

Yes.

and slice people's heads in half, etc.

Hardly ever.

Is there any reason to consider the smaller electric chainsaws much safer
?

Yes, they have a chain brake and do stop very quickly if the **** hits the
fan.

My FIL was a tree surgeon and wielded a
small electric chainsaw like a pruning knife,

I was watching a pro doing getting rid of a whole
row of the neighbour's palm trees with a petrol
chainsaw and was amazed at how he did that.

and I was never sure whether to be worried or not !

Certainly more get serious injurys from chainsaws than
much else in the way of tools used to prune or get rid
of trees.

I let a 7 year old have a go with my electric
chainsaw with me holding onto the saw along
with him. Worked fine and made his day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

That's to give leverage when cutting thru the thicker stuff.

and help to reduce kick-back.

It doesn't really do that.;

Having said that, I've watched expert petrol saw operators using them to
create complex 'sculptures' out of blocks of wood - using just the tips of
the bars.

And I've watched them using them single handed when
up some trees just using boots with spikes on them and
a rope around the tree. ****ed if I'd do it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:02:07 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Having said that, I've watched expert petrol saw operators using them to
create complex 'sculptures' out of blocks of wood - using just the tips
of the bars.

There's loads of different chains, i.e. different tip geometries. Tree surgeon
or carving chains that have little or no kickback, made to dig rotten wood in
holes or carve, or chains to cut large logs quickly. ISTR chains labelled
suitable for "diy" or "homeowner" use in the catalogs: slower cutting, less
kickback.

General rule seems to be the faster they cut, the more kickback they have.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than
expected.

Got a mention on R4 the other day - they were sort of comparing
supermarkets and why Aldi and Lidl were so successful.

It was said that the 'offers' like this - constantly changing - appealed
to many.

The contributor said they'd just gone in for a 'tin of beans' and had come
away with a chain saw too. ;-)

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:02:19 +0000, Robin wrote:

Google shopping search for "chainsaw oil". Husqvarna 5l is fifth
result, £5.99+£5.50 delivery.

I CBA to click through, so it might be a cockup, but...

If something seems too good to be true......one click would have shown
you that it was.

I did say I hadn't clicked through...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:

Got a mention on R4 the other day - they were sort of comparing
supermarkets and why Aldi and Lidl were so successful.

The contributor said they'd just gone in for a 'tin of beans' and had come
away with a chain saw too. ;-)

Gone in for a pound of sausages, come home with a cordless drill, a
wetsuit, an inflatable dinghy and a portable generator.

THE BALLAD OF LIDL AND ALDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL7jyXCQ2Zc

And there's hatchets and hamburgers and there's tins of beans and peas
And a petrol driven chainsaw for cutting bits off trees

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 12:22:38 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

The contributor said they'd just gone in for a 'tin of beans' and had come
away with a chain saw too. ;-)

Bit of overkill, a tin opener would be less messy.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The contributor said they'd just gone in for a 'tin of beans' and had
come away with a chain saw too. ;-)

Bit of overkill, a tin opener would be less messy.

They'd merely run out of angle grinders. ;-)

Which incidentally are quite good at opening a tin with care.

--
*There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2014 10:02, Robin wrote:
But if you like bargains I could get you a really good price on a prime
property at 40.7057° N, 73.9964° W

itym

34°28'18.24" N 114°20'51.21" W

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Most electric chainsaws have a safety device in front of your hand,
which deploys if they *do* kick back - operating a switch which cuts the
power and applies the chain brake. /q

Chain brakes also found on every petrol chainsaw I've ever used. Old kit sometimes not...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 11:54:39 +0000, wrote:

Thanks, I've never bothered with a "shopping" search but I can see that
it could be useful. In this case, however, that's the price for 1 litre.

If you want to pay urban prices, fine. I get chain oil where the local
foresters and farmers buy it and they'd go puce with shock at those
prices.
Even in an urban area you're not too far away from a farm supplies
place if you look for one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Having said that, I've watched expert petrol saw operators using them to
create complex 'sculptures' out of blocks of wood - using just the tips
of the bars.

Wood, you say?

http://i.imgur.com/BJUXBdt.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8im4MiW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RcekgBe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZVaAHSB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wkqpSYy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kldHKGF.jpg

Cheap Electric Chainsaw Interloper[_2_] UK diy 5 January 15th 12 01:55 PM
electric chainsaw Sacramento Dave Home Repair 10 November 1st 05 01:56 AM
Electric chainsaw pj Home Ownership 6 September 28th 05 08:29 PM
Electric chainsaw pj Home Repair 6 September 28th 05 08:29 PM
Leaking Electric Chainsaw [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 27th 05 10:37 PM