Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Aldi electric chainsaw

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:59:10 PM UTC, Reentrant wrote:
Aldi were selling the Oregon 16" electric chainsaw at half price (£28)
last week so after a couple of days use felling/slicing several
medium-size trees at my daughter's I reckon it's already paid for
itself. I was really surprised how well it coped - way better than expected.

Most of the supplied 200cc oil is already gone. Is it OK to use
vegetable / cooking oil as many websites suggest? It's hardly seems
worth investing in expensive Stihl / branded oil intended for more
powerful 2-stroke saws.

--
Reentrant

A general question on the subject. Petrol chainsaws are considered fearsome beasts that can kick back and slice people's heads in half, etc. Is there any reason to consider the smaller electric chainsaws much safer ?
My FIL was a tree surgeon and wielded a small electric chainsaw like a pruning knife, and I was never sure whether to be worried or not !

Simon.