Default Leaking Electric Chainsaw

Last autumn, my Poulan stopped dead. Thought the thing was broke for
good.

Put it in a big plastic tray; immediately oil leaked all over the
place.

After winter ice storms, needed saw, took it to supposedly trusty
repairman.

Repairman says nothing wrong at all. Claims to change blade and refill
oil.

Bring saw home. Put it on workbench. Didn't use; too much other work.

Month later, oil all over the bench and floor.

I read the thread on bar oil. Would that solve the problem?

No

Probably just bar oil leaking out - Just make sure it has some when you use
it. Pour out excess when you are not using saw so it doesn't leak where you
do not want it.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Last autumn, my Poulan stopped dead. Thought the thing was broke for
good.

Put it in a big plastic tray; immediately oil leaked all over the
place.

After winter ice storms, needed saw, took it to supposedly trusty
repairman.

Repairman says nothing wrong at all. Claims to change blade and refill
oil.

Bring saw home. Put it on workbench. Didn't use; too much other work.

Month later, oil all over the bench and floor.

I read the thread on bar oil. Would that solve the problem?

Harry

I read the thread on bar oil. Would that solve the problem?

No.

You have a cheap saw with a cheap oiler. It is designed to leak the oil
slowly, not meter it out (which would take a more expensive mechanism).
Either empty the oil out when you store it, or put it in a tray to catch
the spill.

I have one of those chains saws on a long pole and it leaks oil too. It
was only $90 and does a great job - so it is worth the hassle. I use a
dish pan to catch the oil when I store it.

I have taken of 8 inch thick branches that were 15 feet up in a tree. No
need to climb anymore. Nice deal. Us old guys are not that stable
anymore - even when we don't drink :-)

Harry

Harry wrote:

I have taken of 8 inch thick branches that were 15 feet up in a tree. No
need to climb anymore. Nice deal. Us old guys are not that stable
anymore - even when we don't drink :-)

I hear you, Harry!!!

Vic Dura

On 27 Jun 2005 04:10:09 -0700, in alt.home.repair Leaking
Electric Chainsaw " wrote:

Month later, oil all over the bench and floor.

I read the thread on bar oil. Would that solve the problem?

Sometimes the oil just leaks out through the oil passage. If this is a
cheapie saw, then that may be the problem. Try storing the saw upside
down. That works for me with my cheapie.