BIGEYE

Default Electric Chainsaw Recommendations

I am considering purchasing an electric chainsaw £100. I have been looking
at the RYOBI CS-1840 and Castor Hobby E160 electric chainsaw.
It will be used to cut down oversized privets & bushes. Trunks about 6" in
diameter.
Which one should I go for or is there a better alternative to these two
models.
TIA

Roly

"BIGEYE" wrote in message ...
I am considering purchasing an electric chainsaw £100. I have been looking
at the RYOBI CS-1840 and Castor Hobby E160 electric chainsaw.
It will be used to cut down oversized privets & bushes. Trunks about 6" in
diameter.
Which one should I go for or is there a better alternative to these two
models.

I can't speak for either of those models, but I have owned two
electric chain saws.

The first one was a Black & Decker and it was rubbish. More to the
point it was scarily dangerous.

The whole blade assembley was fixed to the plastic body by means of a
metal plate whose screws fastened into the plastic. The net result was
that when friction heats it up, the plastic softens and the whole
cutting assembly starts tilting upwards.

I binned it and got a Bosch one which has the equivalent parts made
from metal and fastened to metal. I've used it more and it's still as
good as the day I got it.

Interestingly, I paid about the same ( appx £100 ) for each.
Furthermore, the B&D one had a cutting chain which blunted very
rapidly, while the Bosch one has never needed sharpening yet.

Roly wrote:
"BIGEYE" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well my B&D (quite old now, maybe 10 years or so) has served (and is
still serving) me well. Maybe it's old enough not to suffer from the
'screws in to plastic' problem. I still have the original chain and
two others, I'm not convinced that I can tell the difference between
the B&D chain and the others.

--
Chris Green