Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage roller shutter door recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2014 18:57, Bob wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Yes - avoid them like the plague - they're horribly flimsy. Go for a
decent sectional door instead. OK, you need more space, but you'll have
a much stronger job which will also be a lot more draft-proof.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are well
made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but really
little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of
years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices.
(ABI)

--
David P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

I went to these http://www.thegaragedoorcompany.ltd.uk/ for a pair of
Cardale roller shutter doors - quite satisfactory and no problem with
draughts although I did install this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARAGE-DOO...ht_5601wt_1141
afterwards, from the same vendor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

We've got two roller doors. I wouldn't recommend them. One doesn't shut
properly, gets half way and judders until you help it go down. Once they're
down, there is a gap at the top which in spring/summer house martins use for
access to their nests.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David P" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are well
made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but really
little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of
years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices.
(ABI)

Who fits those Hormann sectional shutters and at what sort of cost?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 17:19:10 +0100, mark wrote:

"David P" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors
or any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are
well made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but
really little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of
years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices.
(ABI)

Who fits those Hormann sectional shutters and at what sort of cost?

Sectional and shutters are two different types of door, we have both
types. Garage door fitters fit them g - do a search unless you are in
Leeds when I gave the name of the company (above) who fitted ours.

Price? - dunno what they cost now - get a couple of quotes

--
David P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

[We've had this topic before, and I've said this before, but it's all
worth repeating...]

Two years ago I got a roller door fitted. It's a fantastic improvement
on the former up and over door. However I went "cheap" (knew a bloke who
knew a bloke ...) The bloke himself is great by the way, but the door -
hmm.

- Spend some money -- it'll be worth it.

- Get one that has a pressure-detect on the bottom edge -- i.e., it will
stop if it detects it's coming down on something.
Instead of that, mine has a "magic eye" which only detects if something
is in the way, i.e. something reasonably bulky. This is no bloody good
at all if you have left something thin (e.g. a broom handle) propped up
in the pathway of the descending door: magic eye doesn't see it, door
comes down, door smashes all its flimsy plastic fastenings inside the
roller as irresistible force meets immovable object. Garage inaccessible
until fixed.

That's happened to me twice (TWO TIMES!), Wouldn't be so bad if you
could DIY-fix it, but it's a hell of a difficult job, and you really
have to know how to re-install the door. Hence I called my "bloke" out,
who could fix it within 1/2 hour (if he can get the replacement
fastenings).

If it happens again, I might well have a new one installed, costing me
twice as much probably, but relieving me of 'stress'. :-)

Mine cost £750 (cash); plus £50 each time the straps broke.

Finally: I repeat that the roller door despite the faults of mine, is a
fantastic improvement on the old up-and-over.

HTH
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2014 11:00, David P wrote:
On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are well
made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but really
little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of
years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices.
(ABI)

We have a Hormann sectional from ABI in Leeds. Recommended.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 September 2014 10:08:37 UTC+1, F wrote:
On 16/09/2014 11:00, David P wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 18:57:45 +0100, Bob wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or

any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are well

made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but really

little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of

years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices.

(ABI)

We have a Hormann sectional from ABI in Leeds. Recommended.

I'd like to have a go at building my own as I cannot afford to have one fitted and I've never seen one the right size come up on Ebay (yet)!
What material would people recommend to use for the panels? In my case it's more to keep out draughts, weather and prying eyes. I do have all the hinges, rollers and other gear, I can weld up the tracks, I've even got a suitable motor! I'm just struggling with finding a suitable material that has the strength but at the same time is light weight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for?

Our Seceuroglide roller has been fine for several years.
Standard single door, insulated and powered - about £1300 fitted.

We couldn't have a sectional because our garage is mostly the same width
as the opening; no room for the track.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mark
writes

"Bob" wrote in message
Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

We've got two roller doors. I wouldn't recommend them. One doesn't shut
properly, gets half way and judders until you help it go down. Once they're
down, there is a gap at the top which in spring/summer house martins use for
access to their nests.

mark

For first problem have you tried lubricating the side slides
Secondly ours (Rollux) close right up flush at the top and have a
weather proof seal along the bottom. Sounds like yours were pretty cr**
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 19:07:13 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 15/09/2014 18:57, Bob wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Yes - avoid them like the plague - they're horribly flimsy. Go for a
decent sectional door instead. OK, you need more space, but you'll have
a much stronger job which will also be a lot more draft-proof.

I'm please with my sectional door:
https://www.garador.co.uk/garador-ra...nal-doors.aspx
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Roger Mills formulated :
On 15/09/2014 18:57, Bob wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Yes - avoid them like the plague - they're horribly flimsy. Go for a decent
sectional door instead. OK, you need more space, but you'll have a much
stronger job which will also be a lot more draft-proof.

A bit OTT! I have had one which I installed myself to replace an up and
over, which I fitted 6 years ago. Its been absolutely fine. I maybe
would not recommend installing it where it might be subjected to
vandalism, but mine is quite safe 20 yards up my drive and even at the
road side, it would not be likely to be vandalised anyway.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)