Posted to uk.d-i-y
Another John Another John is offline

Default Garage roller shutter door recommendations?

In article , Bob
wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or
any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

[We've had this topic before, and I've said this before, but it's all
worth repeating...]

Two years ago I got a roller door fitted. It's a fantastic improvement
on the former up and over door. However I went "cheap" (knew a bloke who
knew a bloke ...) The bloke himself is great by the way, but the door -
hmm.

- Spend some money -- it'll be worth it.

- Get one that has a pressure-detect on the bottom edge -- i.e., it will
stop if it detects it's coming down on something.
Instead of that, mine has a "magic eye" which only detects if something
is in the way, i.e. something reasonably bulky. This is no bloody good
at all if you have left something thin (e.g. a broom handle) propped up
in the pathway of the descending door: magic eye doesn't see it, door
comes down, door smashes all its flimsy plastic fastenings inside the
roller as irresistible force meets immovable object. Garage inaccessible
until fixed.

That's happened to me twice (TWO TIMES!), Wouldn't be so bad if you
could DIY-fix it, but it's a hell of a difficult job, and you really
have to know how to re-install the door. Hence I called my "bloke" out,
who could fix it within 1/2 hour (if he can get the replacement
fastenings).

If it happens again, I might well have a new one installed, costing me
twice as much probably, but relieving me of 'stress'. :-)

Mine cost £750 (cash); plus £50 each time the straps broke.

Finally: I repeat that the roller door despite the faults of mine, is a
fantastic improvement on the old up-and-over.

HTH
John