Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default seceuroglide roller garage door

Has anyone attempted the repair of these things?

After about 10 years daily use our door motor began to continue running
for about 30 seconds after the door was fully closed/open.

I then made the mistake of holding and then releasing the door as it was
descending. Gravity quickly took up the slack and appears to have
fractured the connection between the frame and the drive motor.

I think removing the door collector roller and the motor is easy enough
as the door slats appear to be retained by several swivelling rods which
are themselves retained by large pop rivets. But what then?

The only identification I can see is *40 M* on a little yellow label.
This does not link to anything on the Hopkins site. The people who
installed it are not overly enthusiastic about repairs (I guess there is
more profit in new installations than repairing old ones).
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

Has anyone attempted the repair of these things?

After about 10 years daily use our door motor began to continue running
for about 30 seconds after the door was fully closed/open.

I then made the mistake of holding and then releasing the door as it was
descending. Gravity quickly took up the slack and appears to have
fractured the connection between the frame and the drive motor.

I think removing the door collector roller and the motor is easy enough
as the door slats appear to be retained by several swivelling rods which
are themselves retained by large pop rivets. But what then?

The only identification I can see is *40 M* on a little yellow label.
This does not link to anything on the Hopkins site. The people who
installed it are not overly enthusiastic about repairs (I guess there is
more profit in new installations than repairing old ones).

(Thought you'd made a typo there, but "Seceuroglide" it is!)

I have a cheaper, crappier version -- an "Autoroll". It was well worth
it in that it only cost about ?750 installed, and the difference between
this and our old stonkingly heavy up and over door, not to mention the
insulation, is just wonderful.

However it has no pressure sensitive STOP detector. IOW, if you happen
to leave a broom (say) propped up in the channel, it will carry on
closing, and snap all the hinges on the collector roller. It's happened
to me twice so far: I almost burst into tears at the expensive
slow-motion disaster happening before my eyes.

I got our "garage door man" to repair it both times. ?50 inc hinges.

Next time it happens I will be more prepared: I bought new hinges off
Ebay: the genuine article, as this is where Autoroll do a lot of selling
now.

As for fitting them: our "man" says it's dead easy ... but having
watched him do it, I suspect it's a bit like when David Beckham says
it's easy to score a goal over the wall.

This has not been very DIY helpful, except for the Ebay bit.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ],
Another John writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Sympathy is worth something:-)

Fortunately it is a double door garage housing one car so the job to
date has been to swop the radio control set for the manual switches and
move all the accumulated junk to the other side.

Plenty of motors available on e-bay but I was hoping for some
experiences of others before diving in.

Googling just gets hits on people anxious to install a new door.

The Somfy site only wants to deal with the trade.....

If the original installers really are not interested I'll pull the
roller/motor out and see what I can learn.

--
Tim Lamb