Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Health and Softy ****t

On 12/05/2014 06:49, F Murtz wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

Radar detectors, having the location of speed cameras in France on your
satnav or having a warning device on board which has a database of speed
camera locations are all subject to a hefty fine. On the plus side, the
police do publish locations where they will be using mobile speed traps
in the local newspaper.

Except for the detectors how would they know you had a gps database,
they are not like radar detectors that can be detected by the cops.

They are allowed to search your car and check for the database on your
satnav, even if it's not turned on. The French police are in the habit
of doing random checks for papers, including your identity document
(Passport or national ID card), which you must have on your person at
all times.

While you're there, they might as well do a thorough job...

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Radar detectors, having the location of speed cameras in France on your
satnav or having a warning device on board which has a database of speed
camera locations are all subject to a hefty fine. On the plus side, the
police do publish locations where they will be using mobile speed traps
in the local newspaper.

Except for the detectors how would they know you had a gps database,
they are not like radar detectors that can be detected by the cops.

They are allowed to search your car and check for the database on your
satnav, even if it's not turned on. The French police are in the habit
of doing random checks for papers, including your identity document
(Passport or national ID card), which you must have on your person at
all times.

While you're there, they might as well do a thorough job...

If they knew where to look,the one you are using may not be in the
satnav ,If I were in france I would not have the database in the obvious
place it can be in many devices maybe even some watches
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:01:05 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where in
the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Adrian wrote

Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we?
No matter where in the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

If it wasn't for the yanks, actually.

If the yanks had chosen to make an obscene gesture
in your general direction, you would have been speaking
german yourself, and not just your royals either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-05-11, John Williamson wrote:
On 11/05/2014 18:43, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2014 16:51:46 +0100, Richard Tobin
wrote:

In article , Uncle Peter wrote:

Why does this upset you?

A loathing of health and softie.

Your response seems disproportionate. Your GP will be able to advise
you on how to get help.

Disproportionate? The whole ****ing world has gone mad! Everything is
all done with a pinch of salt, careful this careful that. FFS just get
on with things.

Have you no idea what that salt does to your blood pressure, man?!!!

Nothing.

Depends on your genes. I'm lucky, you're lucky, maybe Unc isn't.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

[...]

If it's not on the satnav,it's not much use while you're driving, is it?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 May 2014 19:12:33 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 11/05/2014 18:45, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2014 13:03:33 +0100, ARW

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news I just saw someone mowing their own lawn wearing a hi vis jacket. So
he
can see himself?

The use of hi viz vests are a joke. Driving examiners wear then on the
"show
and tell" part of the driving test. People sat in parked cars doing
traffic
surveys wear them. Teachers wear then when taking kids on outdoor
trips.

Hi viz should be worn only when needed. BTW In my van I carry the
following
hi viz kit - 3 vests (2 of them are spares for the apprentices) 1
wateproof
pair of trousers (used more for wet weather than for safety) and a
waterproof jacket (again worn more to keep dry and warm than for
safety
reasons). I seldom have to wear the stuff at work for safety reasons -
even
on building sites

I also have a set of waterproof overalls at home - but they must have
shrunk
in the wash as they longer fit me..

The only place I'd ever condone a hi vis jacket is roadworkmen on a
motorway. And even then, if they stay behind the cones....

A hi-viz jacket is mandatory in most places I visit where workers mix
with
vehicles, such as loading docks and bus stations. Leave yours off, and
you'll soon find out just how quickly you can get off the site, with
assistance from a number of denizens all clad in hi-vis jackets, and,
more
than likely, hi-viz trousers.

I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

I know that we [1] often slag off the French (usually just because they
are
French) but is that one of the countries you mean ie hi viz must be kept
in
the vehicle? Well that seems to be a good idea and one we should follow -
you never know when you are going to have to change a tyre.

[1] I mean "we" as the British - I am not suggesting that you and I have
special agreement in slagging off the French.

WTF? You just posted something saying hi vis are ridiculous, now you say
we should all be forced to carry one? I have no objection to changing a
tyre without one. I also have the sense to park so the side with the flat
is not right on the ****ing road!

I said the majority of hi viz useage is pathetic but there are times it is
useful. Please try to read properly

Changing a tyre on a country road or motorway at night would be a good
example of hi vis useage. Sitting in the car wearing one whislt conducting a
traffic survey is totally ridiculous.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 11/05/2014 22:23, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/05/14 22:17, ARW wrote:

As we're not normally trained in First Aid, and most companies I've
worked for are very resistant to the idea of us having the training,
the steri strips would be a waste of time, and we're not allowed to
carry sticking plasters on board due to the risk of one of the
passengers being allergic to the adhesive.

I've always wondered - exactly how often does that happen.

I bet if I cut my finger (dripping level) and said I had
ebola/aids/somethingequallyfunky, a plaster would be found pretty
quickly...

Not on a coach or bus. We only carry sterile bandages without adhesive.

Let's just say that we bend the odd rule or two when it comes to H&S. I also
have plastic gloves in the first aid kit as I hould not wish to come into
contact with blood.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...

So you carry a first aid kit that no one is allowed to use, unless you
happen to have medical person aboard.
Maybe that should be compulsory (you could keep one in a box with the
kit.)

When I sliced my finger open when working for a large company that has
rules, more rules and even more rules regarding H&S than Uncle Peter could
ever dream of I went to the first aider.

She fainted when she saw the blood. The apprentice sat her down and looked
after her and a non first aider looked after me.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

[...]

I don't bother with satnavs anymore, use the smartphone instead.

It wouldn't be hard to organise any decent phone
so no stupid plod would ever find it in there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2014 00:56, Uncle Peter wrote:
I also have the sense to park so the side with the flat is not right on
the ****ing road!

Let me see you do that on the M25. With a right-side flat of course.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2014 19:53, ARW wrote:
I also have plastic gloves in the first aid kit as I hould not wish to
come into contact with blood.

Unless you're both injured it's not a major risk. Skin is after all
intended to protect...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2014 00:56, Uncle Peter wrote:
I also have the sense to park so the side with the flat is not right on
the ****ing road!

Let me see you do that on the M25. With a right-side flat of course.

Can we do the left and right concept later? He has yet to master the arse
and elbow bit.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
wrote:

[...]

Network Rail use orange. They don't like non-railway people to wear it
on the track
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Uncle Peter writes

On 11/05/2014 19:12, ARW wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 11/05/2014 18:45, Uncle Peter wrote:

A hi-viz jacket is mandatory in most places I visit where workers mix
with vehicles, such as loading docks and bus stations. Leave yours
off, and you'll soon find out just how quickly you can get off the
site, with assistance from a number of denizens all clad in hi-vis
jackets, and, more than likely, hi-viz trousers.

I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

I know that we [1] often slag off the French (usually just because they
are French) but is that one of the countries you mean ie hi viz must be
kept in the vehicle? Well that seems to be a good idea and one we should
follow - you never know when you are going to have to change a tyre.

A Hi-viz jacket accessible by the driver *without* getting out of the
vehicle is mandatory in most countries in Europe, includng France,
with one for the driver *and* one for a passenger. Carrying it in the
boot or the sealed-off load bay in a van is good for an on the spot
fine if caught.

I tend to carry half a dozen on the coach, one for me and one for each
teacher when I'm carrying a group of children.

Breakdown triangles are also legally required in most of Europe, as
well as a torch and flashing beacon in some places.

You should see what I keep in the bulkead space in my van along with my
hi viz kit. Two sets of ear defenders (it is my responsibility to keep
the small ones safe so I carry duplicate kit), a first aid kit (and that
includes steri strips), two hard hats, a LED torch that must never be
used for work, bog roll and some "police aware" tape - the genuine stuff
I knicked it from a crime scene.

All very handy.

As we're not normally trained in First Aid, and most companies I've
worked for are very resistant to the idea of us having the training, the
steri strips would be a waste of time, and we're not allowed to carry
sticking plasters on board due to the risk of one of the passengers
being allergic to the adhesive. Similarly for such drugs as aspirin and
paracetamol. We are allowed disinfectant wipes in individual sealed
sachets, though. The first aid kit is for use by trained personnel only,
and if it's not complete as laid down by the regulations, the vehicle is
not allowed to be used.

Health and softy is now so ridiculous now that first aid is against the
rules incase you do something you shouldn't.

Health and Safety isn't so bad - it's the compensation culture that's
gone mad.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , bert ]
writes
I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

Network Rail use orange. They don't like non-railway people to wear it
on the track

Some prisons use orange for the trusted prisoners. Apparently causes
problems with some contractors who arrive with orange HiViz instead of
yellow.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2014 10:59, Rod Speed wrote:
wrote
Adrian wrote

Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where
in the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

If it wasn't for the yanks, actually.

And they sent us the bill....

If the yanks had chosen to make an obscene gesture in your general
direction, you would have been speaking german yourself, and not just
your royals either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

[...]

It can be satnav software in something not so obvious, it only has to
have an audible warning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

Network Rail use orange. They don't like non-railway people to wear it
on the track

Yes as drivers they say are "tuned" to see Orange and reject anything else.

You shouldn't be on the track unless you are clad in the correct attire;!.

I think you might have meant on or "about" the track?..

I've seen them use Blue in France not the most striking colour for such
applications;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Adrian wrote

Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we?
No matter where in the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

If it wasn't for the yanks, actually.

And they sent us the bill....

Why should they be paying for what you lot got yourselves into, again ?

They paid quite a bit to ensure that there wouldn't be another world war
and didn't even send you the bill for what they did in the Pacific either.

If the yanks had chosen to make an obscene gesture in
your general direction, you would have been speaking
german yourself, and not just your royals either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer wrote:

I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

Network Rail use orange. They don't like non-railway people to wear it
on the track

Yes as drivers they say are "tuned" to see Orange and reject anything else.

You shouldn't be on the track unless you are clad in the correct attire;!.

I think you might have meant on or "about" the track?..

Yes, I think they get upset about non-railway people actually on the
track whatever they wear, outside exceptional circurmstances :-)
(I used to use a station that had a path across the tracks as a short-cut
to going along the platform, over a bridge, and back the other side, but
that was disallowed years ago.)

(Similarly, when wheeling a bike along the platform, rear lights should be
turned off.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

[...]

To you and Rod, good luck trying to get away with it. I'll keep up my
habit of being aware of the speed limit and sticking to it.

I've noticed over the years that many, if not most, drivers that boast
about their fantastic speed camera databases almost all have many points
for speeding on their licences, or have been to at least one "Speed
awareness" course, while most drivers that don't rely on the databases
have clean licences.

Just to see what the fuss was all about, I turned on the (up to date)
camera database on one road I know well, and it was warning me every
couple of hundred yards about speed traps that had either been a
portable one set up there for a few days a long time ago, or permanent
ones that had been removed some years previously. It failed to warn me
about the only live camera that I passed in ten miles.

Incidentally, one trick the French police use is to set up one of their
older, very obvious, portable radar units (AKA "The Barbecue") up, which
isn't even turned on, so drivers slow down when they see it, then speed
up, relieved to have got away with it, only to be caught by the Gendarme
with a hairdryer style one about a kilometre along the road.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:01:05 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where in
the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

Then why are not Germans not speaking in English or Russian?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

[...]

Trivially easy with any decent smartphone
which you have to have anyway.

I'll keep up my habit of being aware of the speed limit and sticking to
it.

I want a system that warns me when I go over
the speed limit and about speed cameras too.

I've noticed over the years that many, if not most, drivers that boast
about their fantastic speed camera databases almost all have many points
for speeding on their licences, or have been to at least one "Speed
awareness" course, while most drivers that don't rely on the databases
have clean licences.

Its hardly surprising that those who don't ever exceed the
speed limit don't get booked for exceeding the speed limit.

Just to see what the fuss was all about, I turned on the (up to date)
camera database on one road I know well, and it was warning me every
couple of hundred yards about speed traps that had either been a portable
one set up there for a few days a long time ago, or permanent ones that
had been removed some years previously. It failed to warn me about the
only live camera that I passed in ten miles.

Sure, but that's a separate issue to what is being discussed,
whether its perfectly possible to have a speed camera database
that no goon will ever be able to find when he stops you.

Incidentally, one trick the French police use is to set up one of their
older, very obvious, portable radar units (AKA "The Barbecue") up, which
isn't even turned on, so drivers slow down when they see it, then speed
up, relieved to have got away with it, only to be caught by the Gendarme
with a hairdryer style one about a kilometre along the road.

And with decent smartphones, its perfectly possible to have a system
where anyone who gets booked reports that immediately and then
the goons will only catch those who don't use that system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

Uncle Peter will now have an erection.

I very much doubt he's capable, or he'd **** off and have a wank instead
of spewing ****e all over usenet.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/14 17:21, John Williamson wrote:

To you and Rod, good luck trying to get away with it. I'll keep up my
habit of being aware of the speed limit and sticking to it.

I prefer my GPS doing that. It displays the speed limit for the road I'm
on. More often than not, I've missed the sign that was buried in the
trees and there are no repeaters for miles so without it I'd have no idea!

I've noticed over the years that many, if not most, drivers that boast
about their fantastic speed camera databases almost all have many points
for speeding on their licences, or have been to at least one "Speed
awareness" course, while most drivers that don't rely on the databases
have clean licences.

I have zero points and have never had a point (though I did get stopped
once and had a close shave with a Gatso that was out of film).

I do not intentionally speed but I find the backup of a GPS beepiong at
me useful.

Just to see what the fuss was all about, I turned on the (up to date)
camera database on one road I know well, and it was warning me every
couple of hundred yards about speed traps that had either been a
portable one set up there for a few days a long time ago, or permanent
ones that had been removed some years previously. It failed to warn me
about the only live camera that I passed in ten miles.

Incidentally, one trick the French police use is to set up one of their
older, very obvious, portable radar units (AKA "The Barbecue") up, which
isn't even turned on, so drivers slow down when they see it, then speed
up, relieved to have got away with it, only to be caught by the Gendarme
with a hairdryer style one about a kilometre along the road.

I would be more reassured if the police were out nicking people for
driving like ****s, not just speeding. The number of fools I have doing
stupid stuff or tailgating me and not a copper in sight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/14 18:04, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:01:05 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where in
the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

Then why are not Germans not speaking in English or Russian?

We are basically speaking not insignificant amounts of old German and
French...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Uncle Peter will now have an erection.

I very much doubt he's capable, or he'd **** off and have a wank instead
of spewing ****e all over usenet.

Unlike you I don't wank 24 hours a day. Anyway I have something way better than wanking.

--
The word "gymnasium" comes from the? Ancient Greek "gymnos" (naked) and "zein" (to train).
So literally the word "gymnasium" means a "building for naked exercise".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 21:21, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/05/14 18:04, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, May 12, 2014 8:01:05 AM UTC+1, Adrian wrote:
Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where in
the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

Then why are not Germans not speaking in English or Russian?

We are basically speaking not insignificant amounts of old German and
French...

And the rest. English has evolved from many languages, including, Indian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Uncle Peter will now have an erection.

I very much doubt he's capable, or he'd **** off and have a wank instead
of spewing ****e all over usenet.

Unlike you I don't wank 24 hours a day. Anyway I have something way
better than wanking.

A jar full of worms? ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2014 12:21, Rod Speed wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Adrian wrote

Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where
in the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

If it wasn't for the yanks, actually.

And they sent us the bill....

Why should they be paying for what you lot got yourselves into, again ?

They paid quite a bit to ensure that there wouldn't be another world war
and didn't even send you the bill for what they did in the Pacific either.

The war in the Pacific was an American one.

The Americans didn't win the war in Europe, the Russians did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote
Rod Speed wrote
The Medway Handyman wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Adrian wrote

Oh, wait. Us Brits aren't Johnny Foreigner, are we? No matter where
in the world we are...

Well if it wasn't for us they would be speaking German ...

If it wasn't for the yanks, actually.

And they sent us the bill....

Why should they be paying for what you lot got yourselves into, again ?

They paid quite a bit to ensure that there wouldn't be another world war
and didn't even send you the bill for what they did in the Pacific
either.

The war in the Pacific was an American one.

Wrong with Singapore, Malaya, Burma and Hong Kong etc.

The Americans didn't win the war in Europe, the Russians did.

If the yanks had not got involved in it, the russians would have lost.

You lot would likely have agreed to the truce that Adolf wanted
with you too if the yanks had decided to stay out of it completely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

er.co.uk escribió:

Uncle Peter will now have an erection.

I very much doubt he's capable, or he'd **** off and have a wank instead
of spewing ****e all over usenet.

Unlike you I don't wank 24 hours a day. Anyway I have something way
better than wanking.

A jar full of worms? ;-)

What?

--
Some "chinese english" instructions for an automatic light switch, needless to say I did not attempt to follow them during the installation....

The surface design is facility, comely but not losing generosity, it will not have accidented feeling after installation.
Wide working voltage: you will not be worried when you go all over Europe carrying it.
You could fix the sensor with two screws on the junction box in circular one, also fix it with special installation shelf.
In a word, whether the junction box installation orientation is true, it makes the installation flatly.
The lamp will be on automatically when you knock at the door or say "I am coming back".
It will make your home warmer and more romantic.
Penetrate the setscrew into installation hole, block on radiator to aim at the installation hole on connection box.
Let electrician or experienced human install it.
The unrest objects can't be regarded as the installation basis-face.
Don't open the case for your safety if you find the hitch after installation.
If there is any difference between instruction and products, please give priority to product, sorry not to inform you again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2014 22:00:23 +0100, bert ] wrote:

In message , John Williamson
writes
wrote:

[...]

All the passengers should start wearing them for a laugh.

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or sexually abusing an octopus?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I don't think they like people naked on the track either.

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or sexually abusing an octopus?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/2014 19:12, ARW wrote:

[...]

It is bad. You should never have anyone but yourself being concerned by your own safety. Your life, your risk.

--
"Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on 31p-a-pint night.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2014 21:57:46 +0100, ARW wrote:

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2014 00:56, Uncle Peter wrote:
I also have the sense to park so the side with the flat is not right on
the ****ing road!

Let me see you do that on the M25. With a right-side flat of course.

Can we do the left and right concept later? He has yet to master the arse
and elbow bit.

I realise that a hard shoulder is wider than a car, and that you can put the car on the verge.

--
What has four legs, is big, green, fuzzy, and if it fell out of a tree would kill you?
A pool table.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2014 20:03:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

"F Murtz" wrote in message
eb.com...

So you carry a first aid kit that no one is allowed to use, unless you
happen to have medical person aboard.
Maybe that should be compulsory (you could keep one in a box with the
kit.)

When I sliced my finger open when working for a large company that has
rules, more rules and even more rules regarding H&S than Uncle Peter could
ever dream of I went to the first aider.

She fainted when she saw the blood. The apprentice sat her down and looked
after her and a non first aider looked after me.

I'd love to have seen the foreman marking big black Xs against everyone concerned for disobeying everything.

--
When there's a will, I want to be in it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The first is being pessimistic and acting like a big girl's blouse. I stick my hazards on if the car is in an odd place, and if I hear a car coming, I temporarily stop changing the tyre and stand to the side, watching the car pass. But then that would require common sense, so I guess stupid people just stick the jacket on and think they're bomb-proof.

--
The planet Neptune has barely completed one orbit since it was discovered in 1846.
Pluto hasn't completed a full orbit since its discovery, and won't until March 23, 2178.

Effin Softy Act The Medway Handyman UK diy 48 August 23rd 11 12:47 AM
Health wajiha khan Home Ownership 0 December 20th 10 02:01 PM
Health nadia khan Electronics Repair 0 December 9th 10 04:03 PM
Am I a big softy? The Medway Handyman UK diy 30 November 16th 08 02:48 PM
Men's health [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 February 8th 05 08:58 PM