Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default Health and Softy ****t

In message , Uncle Peter writes
On Sun, 11 May 2014 21:01:02 +0100, John Williamson
wrote:

On 11/05/2014 20:49, ARW wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 11/05/2014 19:12, ARW wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 11/05/2014 18:45, Uncle Peter wrote:

A hi-viz jacket is mandatory in most places I visit where workers mix
with vehicles, such as loading docks and bus stations. Leave yours
off, and you'll soon find out just how quickly you can get off the
site, with assistance from a number of denizens all clad in hi-vis
jackets, and, more than likely, hi-viz trousers.

I even have to carry two different colours, as some countries require
orange, while others require the green/ yellow that we use here.

I know that we [1] often slag off the French (usually just because they
are French) but is that one of the countries you mean ie hi viz must be
kept in the vehicle? Well that seems to be a good idea and one we should
follow - you never know when you are going to have to change a tyre.

A Hi-viz jacket accessible by the driver *without* getting out of the
vehicle is mandatory in most countries in Europe, includng France,
with one for the driver *and* one for a passenger. Carrying it in the
boot or the sealed-off load bay in a van is good for an on the spot
fine if caught.

I tend to carry half a dozen on the coach, one for me and one for each
teacher when I'm carrying a group of children.

Breakdown triangles are also legally required in most of Europe, as
well as a torch and flashing beacon in some places.

You should see what I keep in the bulkead space in my van along with my
hi viz kit. Two sets of ear defenders (it is my responsibility to keep
the small ones safe so I carry duplicate kit), a first aid kit (and that
includes steri strips), two hard hats, a LED torch that must never be
used for work, bog roll and some "police aware" tape - the genuine stuff
I knicked it from a crime scene.

All very handy.

As we're not normally trained in First Aid, and most companies I've
worked for are very resistant to the idea of us having the training, the
steri strips would be a waste of time, and we're not allowed to carry
sticking plasters on board due to the risk of one of the passengers
being allergic to the adhesive. Similarly for such drugs as aspirin and
paracetamol. We are allowed disinfectant wipes in individual sealed
sachets, though. The first aid kit is for use by trained personnel only,
and if it's not complete as laid down by the regulations, the vehicle is
not allowed to be used.

Health and softy is now so ridiculous now that first aid is against the
rules incase you do something you shouldn't.

Health and Safety isn't so bad - it's the compensation culture that's
gone mad.
--
bert