Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Health and Softy ****t

On 13/05/2014 10:17, F Murtz wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
On 12/05/2014 09:09, F Murtz wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
On 12/05/2014 06:49, F Murtz wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

Radar detectors, having the location of speed cameras in France on
your
satnav or having a warning device on board which has a database of
speed
camera locations are all subject to a hefty fine. On the plus side,
the
police do publish locations where they will be using mobile speed
traps
in the local newspaper.

Except for the detectors how would they know you had a gps database,
they are not like radar detectors that can be detected by the cops.

They are allowed to search your car and check for the database on your
satnav, even if it's not turned on. The French police are in the habit
of doing random checks for papers, including your identity document
(Passport or national ID card), which you must have on your person at
all times.

While you're there, they might as well do a thorough job...

If they knew where to look,the one you are using may not be in the
satnav ,If I were in france I would not have the database in the obvious
place it can be in many devices maybe even some watches

If it's not on the satnav,it's not much use while you're driving, is it?

It can be satnav software in something not so obvious, it only has to
have an audible warning.

To you and Rod, good luck trying to get away with it. I'll keep up my
habit of being aware of the speed limit and sticking to it.

I've noticed over the years that many, if not most, drivers that boast
about their fantastic speed camera databases almost all have many points
for speeding on their licences, or have been to at least one "Speed
awareness" course, while most drivers that don't rely on the databases
have clean licences.

Just to see what the fuss was all about, I turned on the (up to date)
camera database on one road I know well, and it was warning me every
couple of hundred yards about speed traps that had either been a
portable one set up there for a few days a long time ago, or permanent
ones that had been removed some years previously. It failed to warn me
about the only live camera that I passed in ten miles.

Incidentally, one trick the French police use is to set up one of their
older, very obvious, portable radar units (AKA "The Barbecue") up, which
isn't even turned on, so drivers slow down when they see it, then speed
up, relieved to have got away with it, only to be caught by the Gendarme
with a hairdryer style one about a kilometre along the road.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.