Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler condenser pipe/overflow curved inwards?

On 28/05/2014 16:07, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2014 01:30:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 05/05/2014 14:08, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2014 01:59:15 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 03/05/2014 18:24, Uncle Peter wrote:

Why do I keep seeing overflow pipes (or boiler condenser pipes, or
whatever they are) on people's houses with the pipe curved round 180
degrees so it faces the wall?

If we are talking about the pressure relieve pipe, then that is because
this is the correct way to install them. They should never normally
carry water, so getting a wall wet etc is of no concern. However if
they
do operate, they could eject near boiling water with some force - so
making sure this does not hit someone is important.

Why is it important to stop something that almost never happens from

Why do you incorrectly assume it almost never happens?

The number of posts that you read here with the complaint that the
system pressure drops each time the boiler gets hot (typically because
of a failed expansion vessel) should make it evident that while is
designed to operate only in response to a fault, once the fault
condition exists it may well operate several times a day.

But someone has to be stood next to the pipe, have pathetic reactions
speeds, not be wearing jeans, and be bothered by getting a hot ankle.

Or, in the case of most of the ones I've seen, a hot head.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well since the three I've seen showing evidence of operating have shown evidence of a slow flow rate, then no.

--
Why is Michael Jackson's album entitled "Bad?"
Because he couldn't spell "Pathetic."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 May 2014 17:02:24 +0100, John Williamson wrote:

On 28/05/2014 16:07, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2014 01:24:26 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 05/05/2014 14:40, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2014 14:22:33 +0100, ARW
wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

No. And it is possible to use a combi with a header tank.

I thought combi had to be sealed to have pressure to heat hot water.

No. All a combi needs to be able to do is divert the flow of primary
water through a plate heat exchanger rather than the radiator circuit.

Why would you need pressure to heat hot water?

No idea, but everyone I know with a Combi has a dial for pressure reading.

Depending on how hot it runs, parts of the heat exchanger can get hotter
than the boiling point of water at atmospheric pressure. Pressurising
the water raises the boiling point, so you get less turbulence, and
hence less noise and possible damage to the heat exchanger.

Ah. I can't run mine more than halfway round the thermostat dial on the boiler or I hear worryingly loud bubbles and vibrations. Of course the boiler is very old so it may be the thermostat is actually sensing hotter than it shows on the dial.

--
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- US Air Force training manual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 May 2014 12:39:49 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 2014-05-07, Gazz wrote:

[19 lines snipped]

Give it another 30 years and there will be so many regulations it
will be
impossible to do anything without contradicting one of them. It'll
also
take our entire working lives to learn them all, so nobody will
actually
be allowed to do any jobs.

With a bit of luck you'll be long dead and buried by then, mind, you'll
prolly be denying you are actually dead because it dosent fit one of
your
many skewed illogical ideas,

I can't be the only one wondering if you have much of a life, all you
seem
to do is post a question, get a perfectly valid answer, then spend
the next
week or 2 arguing because you don't like the answer you got,

He's a troll, and a very good one, being fed and nurtured by people who
don't realise that the only way to treat trolls is to killfile and ignore
them.

And you're so ****ing thick you can't handle an opinion different to
your own, so you just call it a troll.

No, I think its known as the duck test....

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then
it all probability, its a duck.

Alternately:

"If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and quacks like a duck,
it's probably just a tool of the conspiracy."

A line lifted from the music module "Ode to Matt Sheahan"
(CHIASCUR.S3M).
--
Regards, J B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message news

Oh, I have a traditional heating system, just the boiler is in the boiler
housing. The pump is in the loft. I have a header tank and a hot water
cylinder with a cold tank above it. I thought this was called a system
boiler. What is mine called then?

****wit's boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:33:20 +0100, Richard wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message news

Oh, I have a traditional heating system, just the boiler is in the boiler
housing. The pump is in the loft. I have a header tank and a hot water
cylinder with a cold tank above it. I thought this was called a system
boiler. What is mine called then?

****wit's boiler.

It's a tried and tested simple system that doesn't go wrong or cost much to fit.

--
Peter is listening to "Pogues with Sinead O'Connor - I'm a man you don't meet every day"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2014 16:17, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Tue, 06 May 2014 01:22:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 05/05/2014 14:09, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Mon, 05 May 2014 02:19:13 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 04/05/2014 12:06, Uncle Peter wrote:
On Sun, 04 May 2014 10:23:01 +0100, ARW

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message
news

Worried it will damage the wall?

I would think it better not to have your wall soaking wet.

I don't have such a thing so I don't care. I don't have a combi. I
have a system boiler, and the overflow of the header tank is on the
eaves, stuck out straight, as is traditional.

In which case you could well have a PRV pipe... they are not
specific to
combis, but to sealed systems.

I thought combi and sealed were one and the same.

No - no relation. Many combis use sealed systems - although there are
some that will run with a vented primary system.

Many system boilers are also designed for sealed operation. Although
again there are exception.

A system boiler has a
header tank into which it bubbles into.

No, a system boiler is simply a boiler that contains most of the system
components in one box - so the boiler, and the pump, at a minimum, and
in the case of a sealed system one, the expansion vessel, and PRV valve
+ over temperature cutouts as well.

Oh, I have a traditional heating system, just the boiler is in the
boiler housing. The pump is in the loft. I have a header tank and a
hot water cylinder with a cold tank above it. I thought this was called
a system boiler. What is mine called then?

Yours sounds like a "heat|heating only" boiler with a vented primary.
Definitely not a system boiler.

Heating only boilers were traditionally designed for use with vented
(i.e. header tank) installations, although some can be converted to
sealed operation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Uncle Peter" wrote in message news

Oh, I have a traditional heating system, just the boiler is in the
boiler
housing. The pump is in the loft. I have a header tank and a hot water
cylinder with a cold tank above it. I thought this was called a system
boiler. What is mine called then?

****wit's boiler.

I suspect the comment was in reference to the particular owner in this
case rather than the boiler.

It's a tried and tested simple system that doesn't go wrong or cost much
to fit.

A vented system typically costs more to fit than a sealed system. Its
more labour intensive, and typically uses more materials.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** how much maintainence in the future eh? Mine is very simple and never goes wrong.

--
Even very young children need to be informed about dying.
Explain the concept of death very carefully to your child.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What do you mean by "only"? There are two (I changed it to three to heat the garage) valves in parallel, allowing it to heat the hot water tank, the radiators, or the garage radiators.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-05-07, Gazz wrote:

[19 lines snipped]

[...]

I used to have a vast collection of S3Ms. Ever heard Leeds Crew? :-)

--
The probability that a given thread has degenerated into a ****ing contest is directly proportional to its number of replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

A heating only boiler is one that contains only the components required
to heat the primary water - i.e. no pump, no valves, and limited
controls and interlocks.

You need to assemble parts external to the boiler to make it do anything
useful.

In comparison, a system boiler contains most of the parts in one box
required for a rudimentary system.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Which is one of the reasons I prefer the heating only boilers. Less to go wrong in one box. The pump in my loft is not in my way or taking up any room I would have otherwise used. Neither are the valves. And they're far easer to get to than inside the would be larger boiler that is in the kitchen.

--
Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions and great wizards of emerald cities, I find it hard to believe there is no paperwork involved when your house lands on a witch.
-- Dave James

WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle? James B UK diy 14 May 19th 07 02:06 PM
overflow pipe VisionSet UK diy 2 June 29th 06 11:49 PM
Condenser boiler Simon UK diy 28 March 31st 06 11:58 AM
New Gas Combi Condenser Boiler. kinneer UK diy 1 August 31st 05 04:48 PM
Boiler overflow pipe Ben Blaukopf UK diy 6 February 4th 05 12:31 AM