Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WC overflow going into a sink waste-pipe, soil pipe or shower cubicle?

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe? I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no, since it could turn to ice on the
pavement and cause an accident, right?

I once saw one WC overflow that ended inside an ajacent shower
cubicle. Is that considered acceptable?

Thanks

James B
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James B" wrote in message

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe? I guess running it through a wall to spill onto

public pavement would be a no-no, since it could turn to ice on the
pavement and cause an accident, right?

I once saw one WC overflow that ended inside an ajacent shower
cubicle. Is that considered acceptable?

Thanks

James B

As I understand it, an overflow has to bring attention to itself, so
if plumbed into a drain or other hiden recepticle , has to go via a
'tun dish' so that the abnormal water flow is apparent and the fault
can be rectified.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:09:16 +0100, James B
mused:

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe? I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no, since it could turn to ice on the
pavement and cause an accident, right?

I once saw one WC overflow that ended inside an ajacent shower
cubicle. Is that considered acceptable?

The idea of the overflow is not just to discharge the excess water but
to also warn you of a problem. If it's discharged directly into a
waste pipe you won't know that it is overflowing, unless you fit a
tundish. You can get sealed clear ones that fit inline in the overflow
pipe.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:09:16 +0100 someone who may be James B
wrote this:-

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe?

Warning pipes should warn that there is an abnormal condition, so
they are harder to ignore. The answer to your question is, in
general, no.

I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no,

Your guess is wrong.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:24:34 +0100, David Hansen
mused:

wrote this:-

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe?

Warning pipes should warn that there is an abnormal condition, so
they are harder to ignore. The answer to your question is, in
general, no.

I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no,

Your guess is wrong.

You sure? AFAIAA you're not allowed to discharge anything onto a
public area, fans, flues, wastes etc...
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheap enough to fit a syphon with integral overflow thus doing away with the
problem of where to discharge to.
Should not take long to do either provided you have a reasonable idea of
what to do.
"James B" wrote in message

Can a WC overflow be plumbed unto a sink waste-pipe without raising
issues with surveyors and building inspectors? If so, How about into
the WC's soil pipe? I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no, since it could turn to ice on the
pavement and cause an accident, right?

I once saw one WC overflow that ended inside an ajacent shower
cubicle. Is that considered acceptable?

Thanks

James B

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:32:54 +0100, "Heliotrope Smith"
wrote:

Cheap enough to fit a syphon with integral overflow thus doing away with the
problem of where to discharge to.
Should not take long to do either provided you have a reasonable idea of
what to do.

Thanks - that sounds like an excellent solution. Can anyone provide a
link to a reasonably-priced one? I was thinking of installing a fresh
new WC unit, or even just a new cistern, so if anyone knows of one
with the integral overflow system already built in, I'd be grateful to
know where I can get one - especially from a DIY chain such as Wikes,
B&Q or Focus.

Thank you,

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:25:53 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

I guess running it through a wall to spill onto a
public pavement would be a no-no,

Your guess is wrong.

You sure? AFAIAA you're not allowed to discharge anything onto a
public area, fans, flues, wastes etc...

Hoping someone will clarify, as my C/H boiler flue comes out above a
public pavement...

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:20:45 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

The idea of the overflow is not just to discharge the excess water but
to also warn you of a problem. If it's discharged directly into a
waste pipe you won't know that it is overflowing, unless you fit a
tundish. You can get sealed clear ones that fit inline in the overflow
pipe.

Thanks to the replies concerning the 'tundish'. That would certainly
be an option. I'm curious about the WC syphons with integral overflow.
They sound ideal - from a visual point of view at least.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The idea of the overflow is not just to discharge the excess water but
to also warn you of a problem. If it's discharged directly into a
waste pipe you won't know that it is overflowing, unless you fit a
tundish. You can get sealed clear ones that fit inline in the overflow
pipe.

Thanks to the replies concerning the 'tundish'. That would certainly
be an option. I'm curious about the WC syphons with integral overflow.
They sound ideal - from a visual point of view at least.

Jim

Virtually all new WCs have an integral overflow - the regs changed a
few years ago, and now most have changed over.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May 2007 11:18:55 -0700, "
wrote:

Virtually all new WCs have an integral overflow - the regs changed a
few years ago, and now most have changed over.

Thanks for bringing me up to date! It's nice to know I can therefore
probably nip out and buy a new cistern containing one from a local B&Q
or suchlike.

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:16:12 +0100, Dave
mused:

wrote:

The idea of the overflow is not just to discharge the excess water but
to also warn you of a problem. If it's discharged directly into a
waste pipe you won't know that it is overflowing, unless you fit a
tundish. You can get sealed clear ones that fit inline in the overflow
pipe.

Thanks to the replies concerning the 'tundish'. That would certainly
be an option. I'm curious about the WC syphons with integral overflow.
They sound ideal - from a visual point of view at least.

Jim

Virtually all new WCs have an integral overflow - the regs changed a
few years ago, and now most have changed over.

I found out about this at school about 2 years ago, but one point I
can't understand is that if a loo cistern starts to vent water because
of a faulty ball valve, how does the loo cope with all this water if it
happens to have a blocked waste/soil pipe?

When the plumbers, at school, did all the work of removing dead leg
pipes and removing all the tanks in the system for legionella problems,
they had to change several ball valves in the toilet systems, so they
could cope with mains pressure. I would think that a full bore fault on
a ball valve will result in quite a bit of flood damage in a house
situation, if the waste pipe was blocked.

It's unlikely that that will happen though, one or the other maybe,
but both together, slim to no chance realistically. There's a linit on
how far you can go with it all.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave
writes

I found out about this at school about 2 years ago, but one point I
can't understand is that if a loo cistern starts to vent water because
of a faulty ball valve, how does the loo cope with all this water if it
happens to have a blocked waste/soil pipe?

That's two faults and unless it's a real safety critical system then system
designers and legislators generally rely on the single fault principle ie. no
single technical failure, erroneous action or mistake should lead to
damage, fatalities or serious injuries.

I think there's a general rule that the single fault should be noticeable so
that it's your own fault if you ignore it and allow a subsequent fault to
cause damage, injury etc.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 May 2007 22:16:12 +0100, Dave wrote:

When the plumbers, at school, did all the work of removing dead leg
pipes and removing all the tanks in the system for legionella problems,
they had to change several ball valves in the toilet systems, so they
could cope with mains pressure. I would think that a full bore fault on
a ball valve will result in quite a bit of flood damage in a house
situation, if the waste pipe was blocked.

A full-flow fault on the cistern valve can result in overflow into the
room without actual blockage of the overflow pipe, especially if it has a
long run without a good fall (I've seen overflows with uphill flows!). A
cistern with internal overflow generally deals with this situation OK but
isn't as good at showing a slowly dripping cistern valve: you just get a
trickle down the back of the pan which is hard to detect.

You can often convert a normal cistern to internal overflow by fitting a
suitable flush valve. If the existing flush valve is quite tall you can
get shorter (8" IIRC) ones which will overflow internally before the water
reaces the rim or holes in the cistern. Otherwise you can get flap valves
or push-button valves.

--
John Stumbles

I forgot to take my amnesia medecine again