Ben Blaukopf

Default Boiler overflow pipe

Recently had my plumber round to connect up the overflow
pipe for the boiler he installed last year (the pipe
needed to go through the kitchen, and I was planning
on installing a new one, which I now am), so in the
meantime he left it running through the bathroom
overflow.

He's drilled a hole in the outside wall, and the overflow
terminates in a bit of 15mm copper sticking out of that.
It seems to me that I ought to seal the hole with something
- but what?

Ben
Set Square

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Recently had my plumber round to connect up the overflow
pipe for the boiler he installed last year (the pipe
needed to go through the kitchen, and I was planning
on installing a new one, which I now am), so in the
meantime he left it running through the bathroom
overflow.

He's drilled a hole in the outside wall, and the overflow
terminates in a bit of 15mm copper sticking out of that.
It seems to me that I ought to seal the hole with something
- but what?

Ben

How big is the hole? It's generally reckoned not to be a good idea to have
copper pipe directly in contact with masonry. Can you sleeve it with a short
length of plastic pipe, and then use mortar between the plastic and the
brickwork?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ben Blaukopf

Set Square wrote:
Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Recently had my plumber round to connect up the overflow
pipe for the boiler he installed last year (the pipe
needed to go through the kitchen, and I was planning
on installing a new one, which I now am), so in the
meantime he left it running through the bathroom
overflow.

He's drilled a hole in the outside wall, and the overflow
terminates in a bit of 15mm copper sticking out of that.
It seems to me that I ought to seal the hole with something
- but what?

Ben

How big is the hole? It's generally reckoned not to be a good idea to have
copper pipe directly in contact with masonry. Can you sleeve it with a short
length of plastic pipe, and then use mortar between the plastic and the
brickwork?

Nope, not big enough for that. I think it's an 18mm hole. Most of the
pipes in my flat seem to go through the walls with no sleeving or any
sign of having been painted... The gas pipe for my boiler runs through
the loft, fortunately, so no mortar in contact with it!

More concerned preventing damp penetrating inside the brickwork (if this
is a problem). I'm guessing if I stick some paint over the bit of pipe I
can get too, followed by some mortar to plug the hole and smoothed out
to prevent frost getting in and cracking the mortar, I ought to be okay?

Ben

Set Square

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Set Square wrote:

How big is the hole? It's generally reckoned not to be a good idea
to have copper pipe directly in contact with masonry. Can you sleeve
it with a short length of plastic pipe, and then use mortar between
the plastic and the brickwork?

Nope, not big enough for that. I think it's an 18mm hole. Most of the
pipes in my flat seem to go through the walls with no sleeving or any
sign of having been painted... The gas pipe for my boiler runs through
the loft, fortunately, so no mortar in contact with it!

More concerned preventing damp penetrating inside the brickwork (if
this is a problem). I'm guessing if I stick some paint over the bit
of pipe I can get too, followed by some mortar to plug the hole and
smoothed out to prevent frost getting in and cracking the mortar, I
ought to be okay?

Ben

Mortar's not a good idea. Anyway, with a 15mm pipe in an 18mm hole, there
ain't a lot of room for mortar! Why not just put some silicone sealant round
the pipe, and bond it to the brickwork?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ben Blaukopf

Set Square wrote:

More concerned preventing damp penetrating inside the brickwork (if
this is a problem). I'm guessing if I stick some paint over the bit
of pipe I can get too, followed by some mortar to plug the hole and
smoothed out to prevent frost getting in and cracking the mortar, I
ought to be okay?

Ben

Mortar's not a good idea. Anyway, with a 15mm pipe in an 18mm hole, there
ain't a lot of room for mortar! Why not just put some silicone sealant round
the pipe, and bond it to the brickwork?

Isn't the mortar okay if it's only in contact with painted pipe? The
15mm/18mm is a fair point, though looking from the balcony it looks
like the exit hole is bigger, as some old mortar has been pushed out.

Set Square

Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Isn't the mortar okay if it's only in contact with painted pipe? The
15mm/18mm is a fair point, though looking from the balcony it looks
like the exit hole is bigger, as some old mortar has been pushed out.

How are you going to paint the pipe which is *inside* the brickwork? If you
use mortar, you'll certainly have to ram that up the gap twixt pipe and
brick - where it will come into contact with unpainted pipe!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Stumbles

Ben Blaukopf wrote:
Recently had my plumber round to connect up the overflow
pipe for the boiler he installed last year (the pipe
needed to go through the kitchen, and I was planning
on installing a new one, which I now am), so in the
meantime he left it running through the bathroom
overflow.

He's drilled a hole in the outside wall, and the overflow
terminates in a bit of 15mm copper sticking out of that.
It seems to me that I ought to seal the hole with something

No, your 'plumber' ought to seal the hole. :-)

- but what?

Frame sealant (as used for sealing window frames to masonry) or even
gripfill/nonails/etc (if you've got some on the go) should be OK.

11degC across Boiler, why? Tom UK diy 54 September 24th 04 07:32 AM
plastic air pipe CampinGazz Woodworking 8 February 9th 04 11:24 AM
Replacing old steel water main supply pipe Pandora UK diy 3 January 24th 04 08:53 AM